1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

2H Swords vs Halberds?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Arian, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Arian Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Which is a better weapon class, in general? What I've noticed is halberds have the damage (Wave) but no special abilities (Vorpal Sword). So which should my Barbarian use? Using both isn't an option for a long time because I have un-nerfed GM and my Barby can get it for some reason, probly some mod I have. Anyways, which ones should I pick?

2. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

personally id go for the two handed swords since they are easier to get at the begging of the game and are still good at the end of it, while on the other hand halberds arent very good at the begining of the game without mods because there arent many good ones.With a merchant mod(dont remember which one) you can get a +3 halber that gives a bunch of resistances for about 30000 gold.

3. Arian Gems: 5/31

What swords are you refering to? I know of Lilacor, any others? I'm using Harmonium Halberd right now (I'll use SK to move proficiency points around if I change my mind) which is +1 str, -1 wis/int and it's +3. I can get Dragons Breath at Underdark and Wave shortly after. The only other nice 2H Sword I know of in SoA is Vorpal. I can get Gram in ToB or Ravager. Hmmm....so many decisions.

4. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

THere is a Halberd that gives out a lot of "different" damage. Fire, cold, acid, poison etc. I can't remember it's name though...

5. diebysteel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

You mean the Dragonbreath halberd Arian mentioned. You get it after killing the drow hunting party (the one with the goblin :D ) in the Underdark.

By the way you can also get a +4 halberd when selling Adalons eggs to the demon.

6. Arian Gems: 5/31

What +4 Halberd is that from the demon? I'm still not sure though, I mean, I could get a Vorpal Sword, how cool is that?? But Halberds do more damage. And I'm debating whether or not to take Sarevok, if I do he gets the swords, at least until I get Gram, then one of us could use Vorpal and one could use Halberd. My party's very fun right now, btw, Korgan, Viccy (changed her to a fighter/cleric) and me as a Barbarian. Flail of Ages, Harmonium Halberd, Stonefire and the Axe from Arnise Keep. Fun fun right there.

7. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Well, since this is the TOB forum you should keep in mind that eventually there is the Ravager which when upgraded may be the strongest weapon in the game: 1d10+6/=6 Thac0, 3-18 poison damage unless save vs. poison, and the real kicker which is 10% chance of decapitating opponen NO SAVE. Obviously the lack of the save is probably the sign of a broken weapon game balance wise but *shrug, YMMV.

Dragon's Breath and Wave will certainly hold you over until then of course.

If it were me, I'd just pick which ever one you feel is neater and fits your image the best since both weapon classes are great - halbred seems to be the class less travelled.

8. Arian Gems: 5/31

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go with Halberds and someone else can use the Vorpal. About the Ravager, does the decapitation go through stoneskin? What about Prot. from Magical Weapons? Death Ward? Can I decapitate every single guy out there? If so, that could be fun, technically with one greater whirlwind (assuming all hits go through) whatever I'm hitting would die. Fun.

9. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

It wouldn't go through protect from magical weapons because... well, it's a magical weapon isn't it.

10. Laches Gems: 19/31

To be honest, I'm not sure what can and can't protect against the Ravager - I've never used it myself. I just look at it and am awed by its power. It does have the strongest vorpal type effect in the game. The sword hits on something like 25% of the time but grants a save at -2 iirc. The axe of the unyielding also grants a save (though it isn't listed, it's there and you can see it via some of the tools) at -4 but the Ravager has no save. This is really huge in TOB I'd imagine where so many enemies have great saves.

11. Arian Gems: 5/31

I think the Vorpal save is -4, how much is the penalty on the Axe? This could be potentially very strong, Sarevok with Vorpal, me with Ravager, Korgan with Unyielding, and Viccy with doom. Instant deaths left and right.

12. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

It wouldn't surprise me if the instant-death effect of the ravager didn't work on bosses. I've never used it though, so I'm not sure on this.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    My understanding of the "instant death" rule was that it works only on opponents that are approximately human-sized. So if the boss is about that size (like Gromnir), it should work, but against something a lot larger (like a dragon) it wouldn't work.

It's strange, I just posted a similar thread about my upcoming fighter, and I'm debating the same thing - halberds or 2-handed swords. My solution is like this - I'll take proficiencies in two-handed weapon style (2), halberds (2) and two-handed swords (2). That way there, I'll start the game with a 2-handed sword, but I'll place all of my later proficiencies into halberd, so by the time I hit underdark, I'll be able to take advantage of the better halberds, and also Ravager in ToB.

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    IIRC there is no protection against the vorpal effect - Extremist has made some research on that if I'm not mistaken but I'm not sure if he has posted it.
    If I got him right it is like rolling the dice against vorpal effect every hit: missing means instant death - for goblins as well as for a dragon - suggesting it is kinda ... unballanced? But iirc it was later fixed for the bosses you encounter in ToB, it would be too silly if you chop Yaga Shura's head off in a sec and the fight is over.

That's what makes Sarevok with his deathbringer assault using a vorpal weapon so awesome - and considering his silly will-save - so menacing once he's charmed.

15. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think that Protection from Magic Weapons prevents vorpal death. This is based on two observations:

1) I don't remember getting vorpaled while I had the spell in effect.

2) When you attack somebody who is Stoneskinned, the energy damage of your weapon (e.g. 1d6 cold damage from the Spectral Brand) is still inflicted on the target. For Protection of Magic Weapons, not even. You'll get "no effect" or a similar message. I'm assuming that the vorpal effect does get a chance to come into play either.

Of course, I am open to being proven wrong.

16. Laches Gems: 19/31

I just checked, the vorpal effect of ravager won't work on a 'boss' type of character. Interestingly, things like Ixyl Spike's effect (sp?)will work on 'bosses' such as, well, for spoilers I won't mention em I guess. Same thing with Gramm Sword of Grief's special effects.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.