1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

2007 Cricket World Cup

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Harbourboy, Mar 17, 2007.

1. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

2. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Yeah, no chance :p

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oooh, I bet Steve Waugh said that in 1996 as well, before Aravinda de Silva opened that can of "whoop ass" on Pretty Boy Warne. What a night that was.

4. Stu Gems: 20/31

Yeah, well...er...um, I bet he didn't. there!

It should be a good close game, and not on a week night before uni! I'm looking forward to watching it - even if it means staying up to silly hours in the morning.

5. Stu Gems: 20/31

[​IMG] We won the toss :)
    But its raining :wail: . This has to be the biggest let down for me since I learnt the truth about Santa Clause.

Yay - back on. Does 38 overs feel right though? I mean the most important one day game of the year being determined by a significantly reduced match.

[ April 28, 2007, 17:59: Message edited by: Stu ]

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That batting by Gilchrist was just nuts.

7. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Gilly is God. Worship him.

He might get out easily in some games, but when it counts, he really puts on the gas.

8. Stu Gems: 20/31

That was a pretty awesome innings by him - I mean 8 sixes and 13 fours, crazy stuff. I went to bed after the Aussie innings was over (4-something in the morning) but I heard Clarke was our highest wicket taker, bowling out Jayasuriya and Silva. I kinda wish I stayed up now.

How funny was it when Clarke had his first run got disallowed for running on the pitch. Next ball he like ran 3-4 meters to the side before going forward to ensure he stayed clear. Did anyone think that decision was a tad rich for someone who was yet to get off the mark?

9. Harbourboy

Australia were really streets ahead of anybody else at this tournament. Not sure what they were doing when they lost all those games to England and New Zealand beforehand, but they were unstoppable when it mattered, with plenty left in the tank. I mean, look at Mike Hussey. Their star player hardly had to raise a sweat on this Caribbean holiday.

10. Stu Gems: 20/31

The enitre Aussie team was doing an "Olympic style training program" in preparation for the world cup and Mike Hussey predicted the team would do progressively worse through the tri-nations series and the Chappel Hadley matches (I made mention to this in pg 11 of the Ashes thread). When we did loose those games Ricky Ponting said that it had nothing to do with the training program and that one of the biggest victories (the win in Adelaide) was directly after one of the most strenuous training session of the year. Despite this, perhaps Mike was correct about the training impacting on the teams performance, they did after all come out firing in the World Cup.

The final match against Sri Lanka was only the second game in the tournament in which we failed to bowl the other team out. If only we had another few overs :D

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What a crap world cup. The only decent game was England vs West Indies, which was meaningless anyway.

12. Harbourboy

NZ's win over England was quite a satisfying game, I thought. :)

13. Stu Gems: 20/31

Didn't you see Gilly in the final - that was a spectacle and a half! Or are you just looking at it from an English perspective?
    How awesome is Marlinga's bowling action - the final was the first time I've ever seen him (probably owing to the fact that it's the first time he's played against the aussie's)

14. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

It was a crap World cup if you only look at it from an english viewpoint, but really it shows the difference in preparation. Australia prepared to win it and did, the others didn't play to their potential (although England did, their tactics were woeful) and sadly made it look as one-sided as it was.

15. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    All I saw was one guy smashing the bowlers to bits. Surrey v Gloucester was a better example of that from a neutral perspective (two batsmen getting 176 from 96 balls and 82 from 28). I didn't see two closely matched sides going hell for leather in a game decided by a single wicket or a few runs. One-sided matches are boring for a neutral.

16. Stu Gems: 20/31

I was lmao at Sri Lanka for trying to prove that a squash ball in Gilly's glove was illegal - I mean geez, clenching at straws to the Nth degree.

17. Duffin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I agree with Sri Lanka the Aussies are cheats! Give Sri Lanka the WC!

Joking of course... :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.