1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

2006 Ashes

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Stu, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, TrueBlueAussie, let's get stuck into our best bastman this series as well as everyone else! Ian Bell has been the only player to emerge from the Ashes and Commonwealth with any sort of credit. Strauss needs dropping. He can come back into the team later when his form picks up. But England need to learn to DROP OUT OF FORM PLAYERS, not keep picking the same damn bunch each and very time. Strauss isn't scoring runs, so drop the **** and get someone else in for a bit until he gets his touch back. We're too loyal to certain players and too disloyal to others (Monty, for one).

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Monty was your best bowler in that game and it wasn't just the turning pitch because Dalrymple got tonked.

3. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

I thought your best batsman this series was the guy who's injured - Kevin Pietersen! He could've made a big difference on that pitch last night. Anyway, well done to Fleming and the boys, let's see how we go against Aussie next match.

4. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Thats exactly right Tassadar, KP was your best batsman Barmy. After watching that comical runout a few games ago where Ian Bell was extremely undecisive in which end he wanted to run to and the many catches that he has dropped recently (I can think of more than most players) he really just does not stand out for me as being a compitant player.

If Flintoff wasnt so pressured by being captain again, he would easily be your best batter 90% of the time and the best pace bowler.

5. Barmy Army

Media:
    KP's injured! Bell has probably been our highest run scorer on this tour. As he was in India. As he was in Pakistan. People really have no leg to stand on when they slag him off. I can't remember any catches he's dropped, amongst the myriad that the team has dropped in the field. He's an amazing fielder at silly, right next to the bat. Just flick through YouTube and you'll see some of the one-handed reflex blinders he pulls off. He's probably our 2nd best fielder, just behind Collingwood.

HB, Monty is our best bowler, period, yet only gets picked 50% of the time. I really don't understand our selectors.

Err.. no, he wouldn't. He's very overrated with the bat. He's just a hit and hope merchant 80% of the time. He's got absolutely zero foot movement. He's got to be in though, because he's very good with the ball (when he wants to be). He doesn't come close to KP, who's a similar kind of player but is actually in control of shots and can get out of a bad decision with good movement. I don't really like either player with the bat to be honest. I'd prefer we invest in Cook, Bell type players in the test arena, who can build in innings. Those 2 are England's partnership for the future. England's problem is that we've got no players who can make a big, BIG score. Ponts, Hussey, Dravid, Tendulkar, Hayden, Inzy, Yousuf, etc. these guys will make a 100, then go on and make it a big 150 and even 200 and really make it pay. We haven't. We've got KP, who might make a 100 then hole out playing a stupid pull shot. Same with Flintoff. Cook can make big scores, but is still very young. Vaughan can, occasionally, but is injured too much. It's not looking good...

[ January 31, 2007, 08:48: Message edited by: Barmy Army ]

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

England should be feeling pretty confident right now. If someone can send a hooker round to intercept Hussey on his way out to bat, you've got this one in the bag. Nice batting from Ed Joyce.

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    Their innings will be funny. We've got Mahmood, Plunkett and Bopara spearheading the pace 'attack'. Heh. The Aussies should smack them to all parts.

8. Harbourboy

Once you had Hussey, you were always going to smash them.

9. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Ah well, we cant win them all. This will probably get our team to train harder for the finals though.

10. Harbourboy

Bad news for New Zealand, but good news for the tournament as a whole, because the last two games are now important again.

11. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

Good score from the Kiwis but they were unable to stop the Ponting/Hodge roadtrain. Reall pity that Hodge didnt get his century. 99 not out, that really sucks.

12. Harbourboy

That is so unfair. Where do Australia keep finding these superstar batsmen from?

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    Superstar batsmen? Brad Hodge? You give Australia far too much credit sometimes, Gaz. Brad Hodge is doo doo, your bowlers were probably just ****. Look at Bond's figures. What's all that about? Brad Hodge is far from superstar!

Anyone watching the SA v Pakistan game? See Mark Boucher's innings? Jeez, that guy is playing really well lately. Pakistan currently 125-8 after a mix of crappy shots and good SA fielding. They're looking a dangerous side are the South Africans. Perhaps a cheeky little outside bet for the WC... ?

14. Harbourboy

Yes, our bowlers were ****, but it was still a great chase under pressure.

15. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

At least our batsmen looked pretty good. Man that was a flat track if ever I saw one. Bond needs to either bowl flat out or not play. No point playing him if he isn't going to bowl fast.

16. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I haven't been on in a couple of days, but see Barmy - faith. As long as we win the finals :) . New Zealand got pretty close again, this next match (NZ vs England) should be a good one!

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    Vaughan's back for this game. I'll be disappointed if Loye gets dropped for him instead of Strauss.

18. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Tait did pretty awesome - took 1/26 off 10 and bowled the fastest ball of the summer (160km/h). considering the expensiveness of all our other bowlers (Lee went for more 7, and Clark for over 6 an over) this was a damn good effort. Fingers crossed he makes the world cup squad.

19. Harbourboy

It's all on today then. Should be a cracker!

20. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

I predict Mal Loye will twice slog sweep Bond for six and then next over get an edge off a wayward Franklin delivery to second slip.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.