1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

$100,000 to play a game!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Chas, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't mind paying to play a game, but I sure as heck aren't going to pay real money for the stuff in the game. Wow. I learn things every day around here about the odd world we live in.

2. Chas Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, part of the gimmick of this game is that it is free to download and free to play. Unlike World of Warcraft, for example, that costs $50 to buy and $15 a month to play. So paying real money for items or access to areas is expected. The game developers have to make money some how. They sell game money directly to people for real money. I also assume that people buy game money from the company at one rate and sell it back at a lower rate so the company makes money. Or maybe they charge a money exchange commission and make their profit that way. It might be possible to work your way through the game earning your game money as you go and never pay any real mony, but I highly doubt it.

Assuming some things, I see it this way: The game developers create this new area to add to the game. If this was Everquest, they would release it as another expansion pack for people to buy. But this game does it different. Instead of all the hastle of marketing an expansion pack to be sold one at a time, they sell the expansion pack to one person all at once. So the guy that bought it now 'owns' this area. Players have to pay an entrance fee using game money to access the area. They can also buy things within the area. The owner pockets all this game money and can then sell it back to the company for real money. I assume the developers also take a commission on every purchase associated with the new area (but just a guess).

The guy that bought the new area said that he did think of buying a real-world rental property instead. But he chose the virtual property. The problem with that is, what if the game popularity suddenly drops? Then the developers just go out of business and turn off the game servers. Poof! Bye Bye virtual property :(

3. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Aye, but it's not THAT much different than real real estate (heh, nice double-entendre there) speculation - if the nightclub he was thinking about setting up was in a poor location, he'd never attract clientelle, and he'd end up with a dead albatross around his neck in the form of an expensive-to-maintain establishment with little revenue...

And tho PE hasn't garnered much limelight (until now), the game's been going on for over two years, so unless something drastic happens (like a horribly unpopular game mechanic gets implemented) to drive off Mindark's client base, it won't fold anytime soon...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.