1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

[Review] The Siege of Whatever

A BG: Siege of Dragonspear Review

Tags:
  1. Keneth
    After more than five years and many patches, I've finally decided to complete Siege of Dragonspear. Most of you have probably played it by now, and that's okay. I just wanted to share my thoughts on the game from a perspective of someone who's been playing and modding Baldur's Gate for over two decades.

This review will be somewhat less structured than my previous ones since I doubt anyone really needs me to go in-depth for every single aspect of the game. That said, I'll try to point out some of the things I liked and some that I didn't, and I'll leave it for you to decide what the sum total of that is.

Let's begin with the story. Siege of Dragonspear occurs in the time between the end of Baldur's Gate 1, where the Bhaalspawn is a hero to the people of the Sword Coast, and the beginning of Baldur's Gate 2, where they end up as prisoners in Irenicus' dungeon. It attempts to explain the gap and introduces an adventure of its own to round things up.

Although the events of SoD seem rather abrupt and convenient, I quite enjoyed the story, as well as most of the side quests that occur during the course of it. My biggest pet peeve would probably be that Irenicus is far too overt. Given the choice, I would prefer for him to be a stalking presence at our feet, whom we never meet directly, but can clearly see the fallout of their passing.

I also believe that the game's political leanings might cause it not to age that well. Some of the political commentary has been removed since the original release and other parts have been adjusted to be more moderate, which works in the game's favor. I think the refugee issue is handled fairly well, whereas, on the other hand, a transgender person in a world of high magic where permanent gender changes are readily available, remains questionable at best. Other tidbits are scarcely noticeable, not counting Safana's incessant comments.

The game offers the player a fair amount of freedom in their choices. There are several approaches to almost every problem you encounter. On the other hand, the game also does a fair amount of railroading, especially between chapters, by locking previously accessible areas and not-so-gently pushing you toward the next.

Also, Caelar is Lawful Stupid. A common trope for a paladin, albeit a rather annoying one, giving her very little depth as a character. And her name is just plain stupid. Caelar Argent. Say that 3 times quickly.

When it comes to enemies within the game, those who have played other Infinity Engine games will recognize all of them. Even Hell is infested with the same old familiar faces. While the encounters are challenging and mostly fun, I did find it just a little bit disappointing.

The new companions are mostly okay. I liked Corwin and M'Khiin, whereas I found Voghiln and Glint rather annoying (but they're supposed to be). The award for the most annoying companion goes to Safana, however. I don't know what they were thinking, but I did not enjoy her company at all. Sadly, she's the only straight thief companion in the game and Glint isn't much better company.

I also feel like I should say something about the art of the game. Music, area graphics, and GUI graphics are mostly on point. The artists have come a long way from the original added areas in BG:EE. It's not all great though. Fog effects can be rather annoying and I don't find them adding much value to the areas. Voice over can also be somewhat uneven at times. Just enough to be distracting.

The most appreciated content, on my part at least, were the engine improvements. They have enabled me to bring a lot of my mod ideas to life. I would love to see a lot more changes to the engine, to facilitate modding even further, but at this point, I doubt we can expect to see much more.

Overall, I found it to be an enjoyable experience. It's not without its flaws, but I do appreciate all the effort they've put into it. It's also nice that the story is finally one contiguous whole. On the whole, it's a somewhat reluctant thumbs up from me. :thumb:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.