1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Zelda 64 and Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Oaz, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I started playing that game last weekend. Man, that thing brings back memories! Hacking and slashing around as Link with my Kokiri Sword, finding Gold Skulltulas, defeating the forces of Evil, and playing on my Ocarina...

So has anyone else played Zelda 64? What did ya think of it?

2. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Well I loved it. I still play it once a year along with Majora's Mask. There's now an enhanced version of it that comes with the new Windwaker game, but I don't have it currently.

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Well it was a tad bit childish. What with the simple dialogue, lame lack of freedom, and the incredibly annoying "blip!" sound when browsing the text. But the graphics were awesome, monsters good, and fighting was really cool. Too bad it was so easy that my fourth time through I couldn't even fake losing to any of the opponents.

I did love the way the story turned out, and Links appearance was very good as you started to obtain more stuff. Using the blue robe during night-time and red one during the day and all.

**SPOIL TO THOSE WHO'VE NOT PLAYED ZELDA 64 THROUGH**

The first fight I had with Ganon, in his human form... ah I remember it still. I thought I was out of fairies. I was only learning to fight him, and had died 2-3 times. I had barely any health left and the feeling of tension was up on the roof. And that's when Ganon did a surprisingly fast energy attack at me, I failed to deflect and took the hit. Link fell down, in slow motion.. the shocking effects all on him. And just as I thought it was over, the one last desperate fairy came out and healed him as much as she could. So he put his hand on the ground, still slow motion. Despite the electricity still coursing through his joints, he slowly pulled himself upright against all odds. It was a better and more beautiful comeback than any hero has ever made in any movie (try it, you'll see). And that's when my feeling hit through the roof. Just that last blow that was supposed to be fatal had given me the last piece of "information" I needed to be able to dodge him from that point on and bring the advantage to me. A fierce battle ensued, which in the end I won. And then the transformed Ganon came along, which I managed to defeat only barely thanks to the health bonuses in the ruin walls. It was the best ending I've ever seen in any game.

Ah, the good old times.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I love this game, it is utterly and absalutly brilliant!
    It took me ages to finish it, which IMO is a good thing. Of course, it took me rather excessivly long to to finish it. But anyhow

5. Aces Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Zelda 64 and Nostalgia!?
    I still have that game (Gold Ed)!

Nostalgia!? To me nostalgia would be Zelda one and two on the NES.

But I'm older... :lol:

6. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Hehehe... I have it for the Gamecube. Yup, Ocarina of Time for the Gamecube. It also has Master Quest on the same disc, and I have everything in Master Quest! All of the heart pieces, all of the skulltulas, all of the item holding upgrades, there isn't a single thing I don't have! Now I'm just waiting for The Wind Waker to come out.

[ March 18, 2003, 13:38: Message edited by: reepnorp ]

7. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I have to agree with Aces on this one. Ocarina of Time was a fun game but the original Zelda and Link are the ones that make me feel nostalgic.

I still have them, although the batteries have died meaning no saved games. I still say that Link is the best game in the series but it is kind of difficult to try to play the entire game in just one sitting. :)

I suppose I could play them on a NES emulator but it just isn't the same.

8. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

What the heck is a Master Quest?

9. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

How the heck do you get Ocarina of time on GameCube??

On topic: I have both the zelda games for the 64. I loved Ocarina of time and am currently replaying it (water temple, the hard one to remember lol).

Majoras mask was cool and a nice idea to start with but i would personally have preffered another story in hyrule. Also though the time thing is clever i dislike how you have to beat bosses more than once. In OoT you could see how you were doing as you started to restore order by clearing the temples. One thing that always bugged me in OoT is the water temple. After clearing it, lake hylia (sp?) is back to normal, but Zoras domain is still frozen?!?

10. Frog Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I have Master Quest so allow me to bring the darkness into the light. If you reserve The Wind Waker you get a bonus(free!) CD of Ocarnia of Time (in original form) and Oot:Master Quest for gamecube.(at least in the U.S and Japan) Master Quest itself is the same game with the same plot. Only the dungeons have been changed. They are significantly harder.(and stranger) Overall it's a little more refreshing since the original was deemed too easy. I find myself spending an extra hour or more in the master quest dungeons. Everything else, including the dungeon bosses are the same.

[ March 18, 2003, 23:21: Message edited by: Frog ]

11. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Pretty much what Frog said to answer your questions. Master quest is fun, but it's incredibly annoying because I have everything, as I've said before, but I still have an extra key in the Water Temple! My map is complete, and I've spent a good, but agrivating, four hours trying to find a locked door!

12. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Ah the great Zelda games. Don't you think they should be renamed Link instead? :hmm: I mean, they call Mario brothers after Mario as supposed to the princess...

The best were the sword duels, especially against Shadow Link. I still remember struggling through the first real sword battle against those hopping lizards in the second dungeon. Man, that was one hectic battle because I haven't mastered the controls yet.

If there had to be a down side to this game, I'd say it would be the plot. After having played Link to the Past in SNES, the two storylines were a bit too similar. But I tend to regard this game as more action and adventure than anything else, so it doesn't bother me as much as it bothers some other friends I know.

13. reepnorp

Media:
    Blog, I really can't see how the two storylines are related. Well, other than how you must rescue Zelda and defeat Ganon.

14. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

One has Maidens; the other has Sages. And when you collect them all, you can physically enter Ganon's tower. They both have two worlds in which the second is a darken world rendered evil by Ganon getting the Triforce. Little things like that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.