1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Your Game Of The Year

Discussion in 'Playground' started by The Magister, Nov 25, 2008.

1. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I was wondering with all the new game releases out in the past few months, along with all the wonderful games released throughout the year, which is the BoM members pick of the year.

So here's how this thread's going to work.
    You post your favorite game of the year, and one reason why it's your favorite game (you don't have to do the last bit, but I'm interested ;))
    It does not have to be a PC game. It can be console

On the 1st of December I'll tally the votes and announce the winner.
    In the event of a tie I'll use my vote to determine the outcome.
    And if this thread succeeds, I may do it again next year (because, really, I have nothing else to do this time of year :cool: )

2. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

I'll have to go with the only game I bought this year that came out this year: Final Fantasy IV DS.

I've found Final Fantasy IV hard to play over the years because the graphics for the SNES version and PSONE where pretty bad. I think maybe they tried to do too much with so little. Anyway, it was just physically hard to look at. It hurt my eyes and gave me a headache.

Besides the update to the graphics, the game is entirely "re-done". It's 3-D, lots of added content, replayability with a new "New Game +" feature. It's just a giant step up from when it first released over a decade ago. The only downside is that I still get headaches because now the screen size is too small on the Nintendo DS.

It's one of a handful of games I've played this year and I thought it good enough to buy,so it's my pick for Game of the Year.

3. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    Iirc, I only bought one game this year - The Witcher EE - and it was a very good game. So, I guess that would be my vote. The original game may have been released last year though....

4. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

My vote goes to The Witcher EE as well, simply put, the best CRPG of 2008.

5. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't think I've actually played any game that was released this year, so I'm going to have to withold my vote.

GTA IV might make a chance, but the PC release will be somewhere in december, so it'll be too late for this poll. Not that I'll be buying it this year. Maybe later, when the price drops a bit.

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

So far, Call Of Duty:WaW. Other possible contenders are Red Alert 3 and if I get it, Fallout 3.

7. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    Mass Effect PC for me.
    In my opinion, there were better games in the past but none this year.

I didn't test Witcher EE yet, because I heard different things:
    One side thinks it is boring overall, while the fanbase praises it as best CRPG of the year (not just here ^^).
    But my intuition so far withheld me from buying it :p.

8. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Smackdown VS Raw 2009. I dislike Wish we Were Entertaining, but this game is superb.

9. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Fable 2 is fantastic but I haven't played much of it so I'd have to say Fallout 3 because it's a very entertaining game despite what some may say and it brings together the best things in Oblivion and the details that made the Fallout universe great.

10. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I thought more people were going to vote...oh well.

The winner is The Witcher Extended Edition.

...Next year I'm going to try giving more then a month advanced warning ;)

11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The remake of Quest for Glory 2

12. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Contest is over? :(

Well for me it was "The Witcher".

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.