1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

You gotta be nuts! Impossible!

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by metzker, Sep 2, 2001.

1. metzker Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hey, you know when you have just left Irenicus's dungeon to Waukeen's Promenade, and into the circus tent quest (to get Aerie)? Hey when the genie asks that first question (something about a prince and a princess), I know the answer is 3, but I wonder if anyone knows how to resolve that thing. I gave that thing to my math teacher, but he hasn't told me how to do it yet. Can anyone do it?

2. Rothgar Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I did myself, but it was a LONG time ago... Post the riddle and I'll see if I can do it again.

3. metzker Gems: 1/31

"A princess is as old as the prince will be when the princess is twice as old as the prince was when the princess' age was half the sum of their present age. Which of the following, then, could be true?
    1- Prince is 20, princess 30
    2- Prince is 40, princess 30
    3- Prince is 30, princess 40 *
    4- Prince is 30, princess 20
    5- They are both the same age.
    6- I surely don't know."
    There ya go.

4. AvaLance204 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Let me see if I can remember correctly...I think you take each answer individually and apply it to the problem, doing it backwards.

Like...

this is a screwed up problem. I totally forgot. But you just apply each answer to the problem and work it out, that's how I got it...if not from pure guesswork.

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

TADAHHHHHHH! New keyboard :D :D :D

Just backtrack the whole riddle using variables x,y and z. Put every sentence down in a mathematical equation. And solve.
    Princess age =x
    Prince age= y

Backtracking:
    1/2(x+y)=C=Princess YEAR-A age

m= 2*(prince YEAR-A age)=princess YEAR-B age
    x= Prince Year-B age.

then just try the solutions one at a time. Even easier when its narrowed down to a few possibilities.

6. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

*rubs my head*

Oh, my..... How old are you, Mr Physicist?

[This message has been edited by Tiamat (edited September 02, 2001).]

7. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Nobleman - were you that smart before the new keyboard? I am impressed! 8-)

8. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Now i remember why i majored in English Literature... yeesh, nice algebraic skills! Is the xp greater for getting the question right on the first whack i wonder? Should be. I wish there was an answer to the genie which read "not half as old as you're never going to be after i'm through with you, genie." I wonder if my Skald can distribute some of his useless pickpocketing points to algebra instead?

9. JohnnyRTFM Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Yes, actually, you do get more experience for getting it right the first time. If you answer the above question correctly you get 19500xp. If you get it wrong, he tells you the answer then asks you another question for which you only get 14500xp.

10. Big B Gems: 27/31

That's good experience for the beginning of the game too. For anyone who has had to take the SAT, this reminds me of a problem type from the math section.

11. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Nobleman, another impossible question:

Why where your school results so bad when you have an intelligence of 18? ;)

12. corbulo87 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] he may have the fluky rolling skills but he has no schooling marks!!

13. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Thx guys. I have no words... :o
    I dunno Headbanger. No discipline I guess.

14. metzker Gems: 1/31

Hey Nobleman, thanks. That was pretty good.

15. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG]
    And with no possible solutions given? I knew the riddle before (magazine) but have never been able to solve it (no possible answers given!).

16. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

Set Princess age as 1 and prince name as 1 in the formula. And work your way up.

17. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Let's consider this from a roleplay angle. The genie asks you to give an immediate answer. You can't write anything down. So if you're smart enough you should be able to do it..... (I'm not saying I could)

18. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] Why do you need to know how to resolve it?
    I never did. I took what looked most "true" and what fitted best.
    You could also simply save the game before you talked to him, and then start with answer number 1. If it was not right, simply take number 2, and so on.
    Sorry, I just keep talking... I know this was no help at all, but I wanted to show you the way of doing it without math...
    :D
    //Zaragoth

19. metzker Gems: 1/31

Yeah, I know Zaragoth, I did it just like you said. Saved before I talked to him and kept trying till I got the right answer. I just asked for curiosity. :)

20. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Umm..., I bet most people do the single way against the riddle rather than twisting their mind, including me of course. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.