1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

You are our only hope...

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Syndabock, May 19, 2003.

1. Syndabock Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Hi everyone,

Me and my girlfriend have been playing BG2:SoA for about 70hrs on LAN. Yesterday the game crashed bad on my notoriously unreliable laptop and I don't know if I'll be able to fix it. In fact I'm pretty damn sure I wont be able to fix it since Im a complete tech-klutz. This naturally wreaks gnollish havoc on our previuosly happy gaming life and we want to get on with the adventure in any way possible. Do you most knowledgeble and IE-savvy guys know if there is a way to manually reconstuct our characters (with shadowkeeper I guess) and get hold of a save game that could position our party roughly in the same spot we left off (the beginning of the drow city of Ust'Natha)? This crude method is the only one I can think of but I guess it would disrupt romances and other plotlines in a bad way. Im ready to accept that as long as we can get the right characters in there (Minsc, Jaheira, Imoen and 3 of our own). Brilliant sugesstions anyone?

Just in case someone really wants to dig into it i hereby post the error-message I get every time I try to open BG2 nowadays;

"an assertion has failed in ChOimm.cpp at line number 599. Programmer says: unable to open BIF: data\Hd0GMosc.bif"

A million blessings for you in advance. You are indeed our last and best hope for renewed gaming bliss.

2. ppz Gems: 1/31

Hey Syndabock, first - don't panic :) The fact that you cannot start the game doesn't mean at all that you've lost your savegames and characters. If i were you, the first thing i would do is to backup your save game files - by default they are in the C:bad:program files\black isle\BGII - SoA\mpsave (that's for multiplayer. Single-player saves are stored under \save at the same location) - just copy the whole thing across the LAN to another computer, or burn it to a CD-ROM, or copy to zip drive or do whatever else when you need to copy the data from your "unreliable" laptop elsewhere. That's where all your characters and saved games are.

After you've done that, you can copy them to any other installation of SoA on a different computer and you've got it all there. From what you're saying, it seems to me that you've got problems with your hard drive. Meaning that you need to check it with checkdisk or any other utility that performs a similar function (looking for errors on the drive and trying to correct them) and if things are really not well, replace the drive. That means that you might want not to use the laptop until you're completely sure that the problem's not there anymore.

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Have you tried reinstalling the game? Installing and reinstalling and uninstalling do not remove saved games.

4. Syndabock Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Mpsave...stupid me. I looked in the savegame folder and only found ancient remnants of single-player games, so I panicked big time. The same with the characters folder, but I guess mp-characters are saved elsewhere too.

A billion thanks, I'll try your sugesstions tonight.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.