1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Yoshimo ##### Spoiler #####

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by TelexStar, Nov 6, 2000.

1. TelexStar Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

After that git Yoshimo sells out, do you get him back ???

(i'm just too forgiving, i know)

2. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] nope, but you càn save his soul once you're back in Athkatla (by taking his heart to an Ilmater-temple)

3. Crazy J Gems: 6/31

It's a major bummer, what they do with Yoshimo, as he's the best thief in the game. They really skimped in that department. All the other thieves except that goofy gnome are so mediocre. I also liked Yoshmo's remarks.

4. TelexStar Gems: 6/31

err thanks guys - i did'nt know he died!!

That really sucks as he had some excellent theif items like the boots of stelth, the ring of pickpocketing, the gloves of theivery (i think thats what its called)

His theiving stats were incredible.

he basically had 100+ in all his stats except for set traps which was at 80, pick pockets at 60, and detect illusions which was at 10.

I really don't want to have to use shadow keeper to get these items back for imoen.

Its quite ironic really - you fight and fight to earn some cash to save Imoen and in the process you develop your near perfect party - I don't really want imoen back!!

5. Thaumas Gems: 6/31

Well, it's probably connected. The lack of good thieves -> more people will choose Yoshimo -> more people will experience his betrayal. If there were fewer reasons to pick Yoshimo, this turn of events would be kind of useless as plot element.

The bastards :)!

6. Thaumas Gems: 6/31

No, you'll get those items off his body.

7. TelexStar Gems: 6/31

Woohooo !

Thanks Thaumas

Its sad but you've made my day ;)

8. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I had a sneaky suspicion that BG2 would have an intense storyline around 'Thieves' when TOSC was released. It seems as if you 'had' to have a Thief - a good one too- to make it through Durlag's tower and the like. Many other's 'blasted' me when I heralded the role of the 'Thief' in IWD. Now in BG2 more and more gamers appreciate the significant role of Thieves. After all Frodo, Bilbo and Conan all were Thieves (ok, perhaps dual/multi class) and they have made legendary saga status in all respects.

The entire 'Guild Wars' around the 'Shadow Thieves' also helps all gamers to appreciate the significant role of Thieves in any AD&D-based realm.

Although the story in BG2 has YOSHIMO betraying your party (due to a geas spell placed upon him) most recognize his value all the more... when he's gone. Thieves are just as needed in a party as a MAGE or Cleric or Fighter.

As already posted, 'strip' Yoshimo when you get to the Assylum and later end his misery in the first Irenicus battle. You do get a great XP reward if you return 'the heart of a friend' to the Temple of Illmater.

9. Elverath Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I have found that Yoshimo makes an AWESOME fighter if you duel him. i made him my ultimate vampire slayer. i gave him 2 points in longsword, 2 points in single weapon style and gave him daystar and some full plate armor. by the time he reached level 9 he had
    grand mastery in longsword and he could beat the crap out of most things i threw at him.

sucks that i had to kill him, i was royally pissed.

10. The Kurgan Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Theives cannot wear Full Plate Armor?

The Kurgan

11. IronEagle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

actually the thing i like about theives, is they can wear that shadow dragon armour.

12. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yoshimio's strength makes him a good fighter too. Dual him and then use him for back-stabbing for catasrophic amounts of damage. But I prefer his snares.

13. mountain-mike Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've actually re-started the game because of the Yoshi betrayal - great role playing though it was. I was just too narked at having invested so many XP only to lose them. Now my main character is a fighter who I got to level 12 before dualling her to a bounty hunter. She is now going through the ranks rather quickly - I think she's gone from level 1 to 9 in the Windspear Hills alone. She now concentrates on stealth and trap setting, whilst Jan is my trap finder and door opener (and trap setter too - I'd got a long way through the game first time round before I discovered this one - it works a treat in the ambush at Strohm's tomb).

14. TelexStar Gems: 6/31

you don't start the game at lvl 1???

15. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

No, if you start a new game of BG2 you start at level 8 or 9.

16. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

In line with Mountain-Mike's post - I agree. I've never played a game where every time you turn around someone in your pary 'splits' on you. It almost creates a feeling of 'what a damn waste it is' to invest in any party member -other than your OWN. The only one that will not leave your party (unless you turn REAL EVIL) is good ol' Minsc. When Yoshimo betrayed my party (1st time thru BG2)I also said "DAMN... what?!!! What am I gonna do now?!! No Thief?"

You are left 'hanging' for a little while of course until IMOEN rejoins your party -but she's no YOSHIMO. And no other NPC in the game can reach a high thief level that is possible for Yoshimo even tho he's gone in Chap 4. By that time he could easily be 15th/16th level... I wonder what we have in store in BG3 or the IWD expansion? :)

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited November 07, 2000).]

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Heh, heh... I'm looking forward to Yoshi's betrayal with anticipation (shouldn't be too long now!) I wonder what I'm gonna do without him; I have no other thief skills at all! :)

But it's not like he's given you no warning... He's been acting strange since Chapter 3!

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited November 07, 2000).]

18. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

level 15/16 ? He was level 20 when he betrayed me, the punk ! Luckily the others were strong enough to merciless slay the bastard!

Gtreat plottwist though, and it almost forces you to use that great gnome :)

19. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

If i take the time to invest the XP and so on on someone i feel cheated when something like this happens. Very good plot twist though, although the game is missing someone who can replace him properly.

20. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ahhhh... What a disappointment... I was looking forward to dealing with Yoshi's betrayal and having no thief for a while...

First off Irenicus didn't even realize Yoshi was in my party at first! Maybe if I was more trusting and took the pirate lord up on his offer thing's would've been different...

Then as soon as I lose Yoshi, Imoen steps up to fill in! Sheesh! Talk about no consequences... And there was hardly any drama to it! Hopefully there will be more when I catch up with the traitor...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.