1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

yet another newbie question

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by jack-of-all-trades, Mar 26, 2001.

1. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

sorry for all of these questions, but now i am stuck, yet again, in the keep. I have defeated glacias now but am now facing an iron golem. NONE of my weapons and NONE of my spells work against this hulk. how in the world do u kil him/ send him to hell/ any other rather vile deaths????

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  3. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

also cast lots of lower magic resistance if you have it..

4. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31

does "breach" work for that? i forgot.

5. Jefe Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Breach doesn't, but lower resistance, pierce magic, and pierce shield do. Try this, get the items, run out of the room-sticking the iron golem at the door (too big to get out)- then have your mages pump him full of Melf's Minute Meteors. Strike as a +5 missle. It will probably take 2-3 spells full of Missles, but much easier than fighting him toe to toe @ low level.

Now I'm ashamed. . . I don't like to take advantage of programming flaws. Although golems are mindless, so maybe they just don't know how to run away.

6. toast Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

or maybe just arrogant with power....

7. Mage_0 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Cloud kill and melfs minute meteors are the best.

8. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I played the Keep-Quest at lvl 8 and indeed it's almost impossible to kill the golems. The best thing you can do is haste your character, get the stuff very quickly and then run to the door and close it behind you. You can cast some monsters the keep the golems busy while you can escape. Then you have the 3rd part of the flail of the ages, a +3 weapon so you can return and kill the golems, however it's still hard. You can also play the quest some later when you have +3 weapons but then you don;t have the flail in the ages in the beginning of the game and then it's a very good weapon.

9. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Fight fight fight, why is everyone always so violent, tsk. Anyway, I guess these are the Golems guarding the goodies in the room just before you descend to the dungeon area. I'm pretty sure I used invisability, or sanctuary to avoid the fight. i.e. make sure you have plenty of room in your inventory, walk up to the holding areas in the room (only 1 of which triggers the Golems I believe), pick up the stuff, drink a potion of invisability, walk calmly out of the room (keeping the rest of the party out of view). If you're using a spell or sanctuary it's a good idea to have a high armour class (cleric) or stoneskin (mage). Overwise the golems will hit you and disturb the spell.

For those who are offended by such cheap tatics, I just thought it was true role playing. This was pretty much the first quest the party had tackled hence they were low level and it didn't seem reaonable to go up against a room full of golems, when there was no need.

10. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Run away! It's too fat to fit through the door.

11. cathon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Well one party finished the quest before getting these and therefore missed out. And my evil party doesn't want anything to do with Nalia really. But I was able to take out the golems one at a time by Yoshimo laying a trap in front of them, then force shooting them with his bow, and then everyone pounding with magic stuff afterwards, saving the Iron Golem for last. Basically the iron golem was taken out by hasted fighters with magic weapons, Nalia also polymorphed self into the gnoll with magic halberd for this. (Which counts as a +3 weapon for what it can hit). Spells were used to buff and protect the party, rather than on the creature itself. Aerie and Jaheira cured poisons. It took a while, but he went down.

If you don't have any +3 weapons yet, you can do one of the sneaky things, build the flail and use that, and possibly some of others from in there as well.

Lots of ways.

12. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31

ok, i eventually used slappy's tactic before i even came back to read all of these. I was a level 9 fighter and most of the rest of my partey was 7's or 8's. so i said screw it, and cast sanctuary.

But y do u need a protection spell 2? i got throgh it with out a problem.

13. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I already had Lilarcor (two-hander +3) and blade of the Roses. and a hammer +4 to giantkin which can be found inside the keep. I just walked to a Golem and started smashing it up. It was already injured before it started to attack back. His friend the golem of the same name (stone?) came running in, but I had Jaheira with AC -7, so he didn't do a lot of damage. When the other was down, my fighter's kicked his but too and there were only 3 golems left. Minsc with two flails started killing one clay golem and Jaheira with a club the other, what didn't work out very well. Minsc killed his golem, after being serious injured (What do you expect on level 10 ;)) Aerie healed him and he fought with the other golem and killed it too. Only the big one left.
    I saved my game. And then I let Keldorn use Lilarcor on The Iron one and I used blade of the roses and Minsc used that hammer I was talkin' 'bout. So it was dead in no time, while my main character was the only one hit by the thing, but it only did 45 damage and with over hundred hitpoints I'd say: Bring 'em on!

So instead of taking the loot out, I just started killing the golems 2 at a time. You get the advantage of hitting first...!

14. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

At lvl 9 you can kick him yes, I couldn't because it was my first quest and the best weapon I had was the daystar so I couldn't kick the golems. You can give one of the partymembers the Flail of the ages, give him haste and some protection and then hack at the golem, maybe you survive. At lvl8 with no +3 weapons, it was impossible. To let them live them is not a cowardly action but the only right thing to do.

15. jack-of-all-trades Gems: 11/31

i had NO +3 weapons at all, that is y i used that cheap trick. o-well, so they r stupid.

16. Igneous Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] If I remember correctly one of the 3 coffins in that same room has a +3 axe in it, which you can use to get him.(providing you're thac0 is good enough to get him) But all those previous advices are much more fun. :)

17. Igneous Gems: 6/31

Off topic,
    Btw, I am new to this forum, how do you make those funny smily's (Owww, being a newbie sucks.......)

18. Seric Exz Guest

A :) without the dash in the middle => :)

(hmmm, a pathetic attempt to create a Santa smiley removed here...)

[This message has been edited by Seric Exz (edited March 28, 2001).]

19. Igneous Gems: 6/31

[​IMG] Aaaaahhh... :o

I'm a bad, very bad newbie, I didn't read the faq....
    I just noticed this nice link called: Smilies Legend, just 2 inches to the left of the reply screen....... :o Oh well, I have my girlfriend spank me for this one, but thanks for the reply :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.