1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

yet ANOTHER installation problem

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Enagonios, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I tried doing a search and nothing in the first few results came up with a problem similar to mine, so here it is:

Everytime I place disc1 inside, the autorun doesn't have the install option. it only has the play option and when I click on it, nothing happens because it's not installed. I tried accessing the autorun through explorer but it just gives me the same thing...

I've played BG2 on this comp before so I'm assuming that the problem is that there's a trace of it on the computer that the disc recognizes so it assumes its already installed? but I can't fid it because I've already deleted the whole BG2 folder...

any help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Had that with a few other games than bgII as well. Try to access the Setup.exe file via explorer. This should, obviously, start the installation. Worked with me...

3. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

And if the installation works, burn a backup copy immediately. The CD might have started to develop irregularities.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

ah, forgot to mention that..

i tried that already, but after i access the setup.exe it jumps to an "are you sure you want to uninstall everything" dialog box... :bang:

5. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Oh well, if all else fails and there's no better help, it might be the time for good 'ol "format your hard-drive" -trick. Wipes your old files clean off from your drive. :hahaerr:

That is, if you're REALLY desperate. :wail:

Or then you might just want to hammer the darned game into your computer with a sledge. :smash:

And now to someone else with better ideas. :heh:

6. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Windows Start - Run // Regedit
    Look in the Local-machine -> Software directories. Delete anything that says Bioware or Black Isle. Hope you don't have other such games installed at the same time.

I guess there was a problem with your last uninstall. The comp thinks you still have it installed.

If all else fails :smash: :smash: :smash: :evil:

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Ask olimikrig.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

yerg. I just tried it Shrikant, and there was indeed a BG2 folder inside a Bioware folder. deleted them both but STILL the same problem :bang:

Fel, why? did he get through the same problem that I'm having?

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Yeah, he had the same kind of problem a month or two ago, and somewhere he's got written down this obscure registry entry that makes your BGII disc think you've still got it installed.

EDIT:
    And there you go; oli comes through once again. :thumb:

[ November 20, 2005, 19:51: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

10. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Open regedit.exe in your WINDOWS folder... Do the following proceedure:

Remove:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\BG2Main.exe and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{8DAE4336-2B71-11D4-9A6C-006067325E47}

Afterwards you may have to manually delete: 8DAE4336-2B71-11D4-9A6C-006067325E47} in the Program files/InstallShield instalation information folder (Note that you may have to turn on the see hidden objects in the folderoptions/view section).

11. Gastong Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've had the same problem just while installing tob over soa i just selected uninstall and then ran it again and it was perfect

12. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Then this cannot be the same problem. Here there ain't no uninstall option, and no archive in which SoA is placed, even though the comp still think it's there... Iirc, there's an uninstall option in the control panel/add-remove prog.'s, but it will do no good. It's a registry problem occuring with manually deleting the files. As long as the registry files are still located on the computer, the computer will keep thinking it's still there.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

don't have time to install right now, but as far as i can tell, removing the 2 folders worked, thanks a lot oli :)

14. olimikrig

Media:
    Np, Enagonios, anytime :)

If there ain't anything else, I'm :outta: , and if there is, my suggestion is to just :smash: you comp (I've been looking for a chance to use the new emoticons, as there really hasn't been any, I decided to make one myself :shake: :p ).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.