1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Yet another example of sick corporate employee integration ideas

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by chevalier, Apr 28, 2006.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Here's an excerpt:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060427/ap_on_re_us/spanking_trial

I say WTF again? It looks like corporations are more and more turning into strange sects with some inner circles of PR, HR and some other highly indoctrinated departments. That kind of thing goes beyond normal training, it's friggin' psychological conditioning and brainwash. And I thought obligatory attendance whole-department weekend trips were weird.

Some people have too much freedom and choke on it. They just can't live like normal people without a staff apart from the carrot. Leave them alone and they will start doing stupid things like unsupervised children.

So here I have one more reason to complain about corporations and claim that authorities should crack down on them.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

WTF?

That's retarded - kind of cultish...

Not that I think it needs cracking down on if it's voluntary. People should be able to be as retarded as they like so long as they choose it...

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    While the company's idea of "team building" and "incentives" is ridiculous bordering on sick, I don't see where the plaintiff has a basis for her lawsuit.

4. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    "Voluntary" in a corporate situation is a questionable term. What they are doing is sick and inhumane. But doesn't seem discriminatory to me if it applies to all the "volunteers".

Jobs must be hard to get if people will put up with that sort of thing.

Should the government step into stop it? I always hate to see the government take more power but if there is no other way it may have to.

Maybe just public opinion will stop it. I can hope. The company has ceased the 'training' and hopefully other companies won't take it up.

5. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

What genius thought this one up? :rolleyes:

And moreover, what idiot would actually volunteer for such a thing?

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation. I've worked in evil "corporations" for my whole working life and none of them have been strange sects. We could just easily say that Anaheim has become like a strange sect. All we can really say is that somebody at Alarm One came up with a pretty weird idea and some strange people volunteered for it.

I don't think the government needs to step in every time someone does something a bit silly.

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

If they volunteered then they've got nothing to complain about.

"Who wants me to hit them in the face for $50?" "I do!" *Wham!* "Here's $50" "Oh my God! You hit me in the face! I'll sue!" *rolleyes*

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, the plaintiff's claim has a scanty base at best.

However, while she consented to the whole thing, it's not like what the corporate honchos did was right, so I guess they should suffer for it. Mobbing is sometimes consensual on the face but the degree of pressure is debilitating. Remember we're not talking about equally powerful subjects but about an employer-employee relationship, which is one of subjection and dependency.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.