1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Yahoo! I Beat The Shadow Dragon

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by dragon903, Jun 30, 2001.

1. dragon903 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Guess what everybody i defeated the shadow dragon and i did not give up
    i won this tough battle

2. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Yes killin' dragons is fun. It's one of my hobbies.

3. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] You killed my poor pet! :mad: :mad:

Whatever, I'll just get another one to ride... :p :p

4. dragon903 Gems: 5/31

[​IMG] im sorry for killing your pet Extremist

5. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Interesting story on this subject.

The Umar hills quest was the second quest i did out of Irenicus Dungeon. I beat it with ease, skipping the shadow dragon of course cuase i wasnt high level yet. So I thought, what the hell ill quicksave and give it a try. So i had Yoshimo setup some traps around it, enough that i thought i would kill it, well at least i hoped so cuase everyone in my party was pretty wounded from the last battle. So the traps go off, and nope, he was only near death. Oh sh*t i say as i realize only one character in my group has a weapon that can hit him, and he was almost dead. What killed him, a solo magic missle from the wand aerie had equipped. In whatever afterlife dragons face i garuntee hes going through some SEVERE depression!

6. Melkhior Guest

As I always have said, and always will say........:
    Dragons are easy. All of them!

7. shadowboxer Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I'm glad someone else is agreeing that dragons are too easy, I had no probs with them and smae goes for kangaxx or whatever.

8. dragon903 Gems: 5/31

i Located the red dragon
    and boy is this dragon tough
    he is much tougher then the shadow dragon
    any help here

9. Alex Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Same tactics for the red as with the shadow.... cept here you can load up your best fighter with all the fire resisting items from the rest of the dungeon, making his fire resistance 125 so firkraag's fire breath attack actually HEALS him in stead of hurting him lol. And ALWAYS plant traps around him first it makes a HUGE difference. And be sure to have a few breach/pierce magic ready for his stoneskin.

10. Melkhior Guest

First of all, place ONE set of traps ( more and it will be considered cheating from my part. ) then summon some fire elementals to distract him. Surround him with all of your characters and use fire resistant items. Exactly when Edwins lower magic spell has been cast and is going to hit him you use a magic missile by another mage plus that the characters around him should start attacking when the magic missile hits cuz it´s then he´s gonna start using stone skin.
    With luck, you can - before he´s even started attacking - hurt him so bad that he´s near death. And then from that moment on you just cast magic missiles! And if you want your own character to make the killing just use vampiric touch. That´s what I did so that it sais that I killed him!

Good Luck!! :D :D :D

hm. I´m sure I forgot something...

11. zero Gems: 2/31

I hate to fight when I prepere to it. Its just not right.
    Ataack him with front-line fighters and with your mage(s)cast lightning bolt or other electrical spells

12. Alex Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Why are multiple traps cheating? If your character has the ability to do so, then it is not cheating!

13. zero Gems: 2/31

[​IMG] Set traps around the dragon is cheating because.. please a smart dragon will just look how your thief set traps ,this is just stupid.

14. Alex Gems: 12/31

Veteran

Well not the shadow dragon, he doesnt even know youre there.

15. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] And I just press two keys on the keyboard - the dragon doesn't even know that I enabled the console. :mad: :mad:

Or I just use Arkanis' sword - the dragon doesn't know that it is not supposed to be useable by anyone besides Arkanis in the game. :mad: :mad:

Do you think anyone needs more spams about how to kill a dragon in a single blow just because of BI glitches? :mad: :mad:

16. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] PLEASE, this is not about defeating the dragon, it is about fighting the dragon! and the two things has a damn big difference. If you want to powergame and defeat the dragons the easiest(game/bug exploiting) way, go ahead, but dont expect your victory to mean anything more than killing a group of goblins with a fireball!

If you want fun playing, fight the dragon, live on the edge of death till you finally strike the final blow. This will make the battle grand, interesting, fun and somewhat honorable.

[This message has been edited by Lokken (edited July 02, 2001).]

17. Extremist Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] I forgot this one:

I save FAMDUST.CRE as DRAGSHAD.CRE in override folder and suddenly Shadow Dragon is not Shadow Dragon but a Dust Mephit (familiar). Is it hard to kill it? No. Is it a cheating because I use something that is not realistic? YES!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited July 02, 2001).]

18. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG] I totally agree with the last two posts. The whole point of the game is to have fun, whilst being challenged. What satisfaction can you get from placing a few traps and see the big dragon die because of poor AI? If that is what you think is fun, I must say, with no offense intended, that you obviosuly live a life devoid of entertainment.

For example, against the shadow Dragon, you would think he would notice you setting traps. But no - the designers forgot to make the dragon react to that, unlike if you summon creatures. If you summon creatures, the dragon notices, and attacks. This is what should happen if you lasy traps. It is really the same as the cloudkill into fog of war trick that has been talked about many a time. Sure, just because the game allows it, doesn't make it right. The purpose of traps is to prepare an ambush. However, its not a very good ambush if you're laying them right in front of him.

19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Another easy way to kill a dragon is to give an crossbow char the items "pulse01,/ "pulse02"/ "frag"/ "light" from the console. This is not as foolproof as arcanis sword, but this you can cheat while enjoying a really nice magical light effects ... :)

Or be inventive and get yourself the TeamBG item editor an create a 8d100+50 vorpal sword (with 30 poison damage each hit, permanent improved haste and absolute immunity to spells below lvl-30) :)

Good fun :)

20. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

until this post I had no idea of any way to use traps.. If you don't use this "cheating" way, then how do use traps in a noble way? Are traps noble, brave weapons?

I must admit that I cheat quite a lot when I play.. I always quicksave before resting, and if I get attacked, I just quickload and try again. If I've been killed numerous times by the same group of monsters, I'll probably throw a cloudkill or somethng near the edge of the screen.

Anyway, what it all comes down to is, if you're really gonna play the game with no cheating whatsoever, you don't ever save, unless when you're quitting the game. If a character gets "gibbed", so you can't revive him, then you'l find another. If your main character is killed, you start the game all over again with a new character. If you're an evil character, you always pick the "evil" option in conversation.

To sum it up, we all sacrifice realism to some extent, and the only difference is really how far we are willing to "bend" the rules. Personally, my limit goes at editing game code, or in other way changing the game. If the game rules are weak however, I'll use it. It's not that nice though..

I remember playing good old Daggerfall, and ALWAYS, every single time, use the store after closing time bug to loot the place. It's a shame, I'm not really proud of it, but I'm the only one who can see it, right, so I'll still do it. I never really thought it destroyed the "rpg feel" of the game. You just got used to it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.