1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wrong class listings??

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Taluntain, Nov 26, 2000.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Did anyone notice the weird class listings some NPCs have?
    For instance Imoen and Nalia.
    AFAIK, if you dual from a thief to mage, your class is listed as Thief/Mage.
    (For example Anomen follows that rule, he's dualed from a fighter to a cleric and he's listed as Fighter/Cleric).
    So WTF is up with Imoen and Nalia then?
    They're both listed as Mage/Thieves while it should be exactly the other way around??
    I didn't even notice this until I leveled Nalia for the second time or so and I never got to improve her thieving skills. I just looked at the class where it's written Mage/Thief and said ok, so she's gonna go up as a thief when I took her into my party.

But obviously I was wrong. Does anyone have any insight on this?

2. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I didn't know you were playing BG2! Good stuff! My ankle got hit with a hockey puck at last Wednesday's game when I stopped a slap shot and I've been "house" ridden the whole weekend by doctors orders to stay off my foot. It's a lovely hue of purple, blue and red, much like a distant pulsar cloud in deep space. The bruise alone has now run up my leg a slight bit and discoloured my entire right side of my foot. I can only imagine what would have happened if it hit my ankle dead on.

What part are you at Sorcerer? I'm in the Planar Prison, a deathly place riddled with teleport traps and foul beasts and for what? To find some punk ass Blade NPC who lied not once, but twice to Grub. When I find him, add another dead NPC because of me.

Viconia, Anomen and next...Haer'Dalis.

Syl...

3. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

can someone enlighten me to AFAIK and wth it means?

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    AFAIK, it means As Far As I Know :)

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ok, three replies and none have anything to do with what I asked... Grrr...
    Anyone???

Sylvus, I left you the details on ICQ.
    Actually, I'm in Chapter 3 now doing everything in Athkatla. Already did most of the quests and am just about to plunge underground to the sewers. All the quests have brought me quite a nice amount of XP, gold and weapons/items.

The vampires are bloody annoying though... I didn't even go the the graveyard yet and I fear to walk the streets at night because those bloody vamps keep popping up and attacking me. And I can't bloody hit them with anything else but slings, since all my other weapons are only +1. Damn. I think I'll need to go shopping soon.

Yogurt, AFAIK = As far as I know.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 26, 2000).]

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Taluntain - It seems like an arbitrary choice on the developer's part... If you look in the manual under Multi-Classed Characters, they only list Mage/Thief not Thief/Mage, so I would say they only included the listed combinations. I seem to recall somewhere (maybe IWD) that a dualled character would read: First Class Dual Second Class; but that could be a hallucination on my part...

Oh, and for Vampires, might I suggest your first purchase be Azuredge from Bernard in the Copper Coronet...

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited November 26, 2000).]

7. Taluntain

Media:
    Sure, but who'd wield it? I've had my eye on it but then noticed that the char has to be evil or neutral to use it. None in my party. :( (That is, if I remember right. Could be another good weapon in the CC.)
    My main char is a mage, obviously.

Maybe for multiclasses chars, but these aren't multi I'm talking about. They're dual class.
    And I obviously got to the bottom of this. The game is simply wrong. (However impossible that may seem).

First, read what I just wrote about Anomen above.
    Second, look in the manual at the description of the NPCs.
    Check Nalia and Imoen. GASP!
    They're both listed as Thief/Mage!!!
    The same problem is with Jan too. In the game he's listed as Illusionist/Thief, while he's actually Thief/Illusionist.

Well, here we go then. A serious error to report to Bioware? Not that it's that important, I mean, it doesn't make any difference when you think about it, but it's very misleading when you first recruit a new NPC.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited November 27, 2000).]

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Yeah, you're right about the classes being right in the manual and not in the game... I'm still guessing that for dual-class and multi-class characters they use the combos listed under the section I described above... All four of the NPC's you described follow that list... <shrug> I'd suggest trying to deduce the reality by looking at the individual's experience; the origianl class would've stopped gaining experience...

And, about Azuredge, you read that wrong... It's NOT useable by evil/neutral characters, you must be of a good alignment (my Neutral Good Archer vanquished quite a few Vampires with it :) )

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited November 27, 2000).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.