1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worst weapons to specialize in

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Tony Tulipstomp, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Tony Tulipstomp Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hi again :D

Was hoping someone could give a little list of the crappiest types of weapons to specialize due to either the lateness in the game you can get them or just that they suck? Are katanas still super buff or are there other weapons like that nutso one (that stunning katana) from temple area?

2. Anjo Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

For crappiest weapon type I vote for clubs because there aren't good ones atleast in SoA part of game. Only some +2 baking-rolls. Spears are bit lacking too in early parts of game.

Imho in every other weapon type you can find quite good ones early on.

Edit: typo

3. Minh So Gems: 6/31

Scimitar ? ._~

4. starwalker Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Scimitar is a good one to get dots in if your dual wielding and can just because every little bit helps if you wield belm in your off hand.

I used to think short swords but the upgraded short sword of Mask changed my mind. And you can get it's unupgraded version way early in the game and it's still a +4 with a neat special power.

5. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

There are so few bastard swords in the game it's a disgrace. Before the Underdark the best you'll get is the +1/+3 vs.shapeshifters sword.

6. Warmonger Gems: 5/31

I find all 2-handed weapon crapy as they waste second hand slot. There are SO many coool items that can be put in it. I'm going to run only dual-wielding party supported by some item mods :].

Clubs are cool. I used to play Sarevok with club proficency and improved Club of Detonation XD, not to mention fire resistance.

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I want to play BG2 now, but I have TuTu installed and can't be arsed messing around trying to get it off :lol:

8. Daie d'Malkin

Daie d'Malkin Shoulda gone to Specsavers

Darts, halberds, short bows, all have their crappiness. (Early on, at least. Nobody jump in here with the Wave and Gesen etc.)

9. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Short Bows!?! Tuigan Bow, anyone? :rolleyes:

10. Panopticon Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Daie: Say what? Of course gesen and wave after a while but you get the dragon whatever halberd and the tansheron and tuigan bow already in the first chapters. Nothing wrong with them..

Nobody has mentioned longbow, I haven't found a single good one yet. That's a waste of skill..

11. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    ^ heh, yeah. But BG2 is not an archers game anyway (Archers ruled in BG1!), and I've found little use of bows/slings in any situation besides when needing something to put in the hands of Immy or Aerie (or when slaying adamantide golems ;) - 'till you get the Crom Fayer anyway :rolling: ).

I'm going with Bastard Swords as Suspiati (sorry if I butchered the spelling of your name mate :p ). I think that's one of the only weapons (in an un-modded game that is) that I've never ever bothered with. Come on! Wtf do you want me to use a Bastard Sword +1/+3 vs. shapeshifters for!?!

12. Warmonger Gems: 5/31

The only longbow that is usable by high-level character is one from Underrepresented ID items. +4, 2 to AC, 4 attacks per round (or something like that), requires only 17 str/dex.

13. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    @ Warmonger

If you count in mods in the equation then theres few weapons not worth specializing in!

14. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

[​IMG] [shameless plug] Especially if you include the masterful BoM item pack, eh oli? ;) Soon with a newer, swankier ReadME! :whoa: [/shameless plug]

15. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

For a first time player with no spoilers katana is the crappiest choice unless he has a "enter any house without neading a reason" and "move on to make the owners attack you even if you are asked to leave" playing style.

CF is the only good katana before ToB.
    You can buy a club+3 which does extra damage once you've done the Trademeet quests and I guess it's the best right hand weapon for a dualwielding druid (Belm in the left hand) for the whole game.

16. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Bastard swords. The only 2 I can think of now are Krondar (+1/+3 v. shapeshifters) and Foebane.

17. Minh So Gems: 6/31

Jhor the bleeder is a quite good bastard sword especially against mage.
    Belm is the only good scimitar just exactly like Celestial Fury ._.

18. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Clubs are pretty good since you steal a good one from Trademeet (+3 and acid) and then there is another one in the Druid Grove.

Some really poor choises would be darts (consume quick and practically no damage), haldebergs (the only +3 weapon in the Beholder's Lair and the rest is crap), and long bows (okay, some +3 weapons, but none of them grant anything special).

19. Killjoy Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

With the bonus pack, the Harmonium Halberd +3 is one of the best 2-handed weapons you can have early on in SOA, especially if you have a tank that can only get specialized, rather than grand master, in any weapon (paladin, ranger, barbarian). Wave and Ravager are also great. There aren't a lot of halberds, but there are some very good ones.

Bastards aren't very good unless you're a paladin and you go straight to Watcher's Keep. A paladin dual-wielding Foebane and Purifier is a terror, and of course, a K/T or any other class with Use Any Item would also run amuck with them.

Agreed about scimitars. Other than Belm, Drizzt's gear (which you either have to import from BG1 or wait until the end of SOA to get), and the bonus pack wakazashi (for which UAI is basically REQUIRED, unless you want to put a weapon in your monk's hand), there isn't much good stuff in that department.

Agreed on clubs and spears. The Impaler is probably the only spear worth bothering with (presumably BIO put it in the game for Valygar to backstab with), but that's not worth the prof points.

Short sword of Mask is admittedly a pretty nice weapon, especially when upgraded, but what else is there for short swords? Kundane with the bonus attack? TOB and SOA are 2E games, so there's no weapon finesse feat to make them any better. Other than the 2 I just listed, short swords in BG2 are basically just long swords with lower damage.

20. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If you have Upgrade Item mod, you can upgrade Celestial Fury into uberness. You can have a choice between two excellent clubs. Or you can have one very spiffy, kinda-ranged, posionous, life draining, and protective scimitar! Or you can have a one big bad throwing spear which practically does the best damage in all weapons and it is even ranged!

You need to collect all of the magical items in the game and reassemble some of them by Cromwell/Caspenar into cool things. :thumb:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.