1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Worst possible party

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Kailynne Johanne, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Everyone is having such fun creating great powergaming or roleplaying parties and this is obviously an enjoyable topic of lively debate. But, occasionally it is also fun to "think outside of the box" - or at least try to.

So, the question for this thread is what is the absolute worst party you can see FINISHING the game.... Define worst however you choose...

My 2 cents would probably be....

TN Beastmaster
    Nalia
    Valygar
    Cernd
    Haer Dalis'
    Minsc - included soely due to the unpredictability of his berseker rage

And of course, I also realize that the fact that the game has been completed by solo characters (even twice by yours truly) so, in a way, this is a technically pointless topic..... Just throwing a question for discussion out...

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Come on!
    It doesn't matter main hero's class, race and stats.

Just place Aerie and Keldorn in the party. That's it.

3. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

I still think Haer'Dalis is awesome. Fine archer for my neutral/evil party. And his limited spellcraft makes him a worthy addition as well, and then you finally have someone to give that melodic chain :D

4. Julius Skull Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

All the npc's have their share of advantages and disadvantages. I thought nalia was just as effective as edwin, if not more so. She has some thieving abilities which means that she can use some weapons if she needs to. Haerdalis is useful if you're not already playing a bard and so on. I don't think you really can have a bad party in this game. I'm sure i'll get my head bitten off for this one. :hippy:

5. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Look what you started Kailynne :p

Noone will agree. You mention two of my favorite NPC's yourself. Minsc and Valygar.

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

none of the npcs are actually that bad if developed properly...

7. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

So far.. a number of words in response yet no one has answered the question directly.

For me the "worst" party is the one which does not fit my preferred/desired playing style.... I am finding, with Duharrel, that that is NOT all that bad however....

So, I ask again, what do you guys and gals think is the worst party = however you define "worst."

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited September 17, 2001).]

8. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

[​IMG] The worst possible party:

Here it is, SPOILER!

Main character - race and class you dislike the most
    NPC1: the one you hate the most of all npc's
    NPC2: the one you hate only nearly as much as the NPC1
    NPC3: etc.
    NPC4: etc. etc.
    NPC5: etc. etc. etc.

there, I think that's about right :D

9. Mirkwood Guest

The worst party, in that it will self-destruct, is:

PC
    Minsc + Edwin
    Keldorn + Viconia

:rolling:

[This message has been edited by Mirkwood (edited September 17, 2001).]

10. /me gets out the BG2 manual

Lemme see here... ah yes:

Kensai
    Inquisitor
    Totemic Druid
    Swashbuckler
    Blade

...and... damn no more classes...

Imoen

11. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Aaah, nobody's going to agree on who the worst character is. Some of the ones you hated--Valygar and Haerdalis--are among my very favorites, guys I'd include in every party if I could. The party you put together may be one that would annoy you, but it's easily playable. You've got three tanks, a healer, and two magic-users.

I think the 'worst' party would be one which was badly balanced and included all the characters who would continually die. I'd be very impressed to see someone take a PC sorcerer, Imoen, Nalia, Aerie, Haerdalis, and Jan all the way through the game without losing any of them. That would be *much* harder than soloing a sorcerer. I don't know how you'd even start protecting all those fragiles without even one tank and with so little healing. You'd have to be constantly summoning things and sleeping after every combat. It would be incredibly annoying, and you'd probably still see one or more of them chunked every day or so.

12. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

tjekanefir has just been the first person to actually directly answer the question under submission... In doing so, she reveals her playing style and preference...

Two points for her...

Anyone else?

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited September 17, 2001).]

13. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

Actually, now that I think about it, the hardest party would be a multiplayer party of six PCs all belonging to the same class which has some restriction on item use.

A traditional party can have one guy dual-wielding Crom Faeyr and the Flail of Ages, one guy with Celestial Fury, one with Carsomyr, one with the Silver Sword, a mage-thief sitting in the back with the Gesen Bow or something and your sorcerer with the Staff of the Magi. Everyone has a killer weapon, in other words, and some people have two. In a party with six mages, only half of them would be able to have weapons better than +2, not to mention their armor class would really suck--most of them would be running around in a ring +1 and a smile most of the game, there being a very limited number of bracers. Six clerics wouldn't have enough good blunt weapons to go around. Six wizard slayers would drink up all the healing potions in Athkatla by chapter three.

It would be much harder to keep six of a vulnerable class alive the whole game than one, since you'd have to spread the limited resources for that class too thin. I'm thinking six wizard slayers would probably be the hardest.

The party that I would PERSONALLY hate having to finish a game with most, though, would be Aerie, Nalia, Jan, Edwin, and Anomen. I can deal with "Ohhhhhhh, it hurts so muuuuuuuuch!" every time Aerie gets hit; I can deal with "What is it NOW?" and "I'm busy, all right? I'm busy!" whenever I want Anomen or Edwin to attack an enemy; I can deal with long, boring monologues about turnips; and I can even deal with Nalia being a snarky priss in my face about what a wonderful person she is and we're not doing as much to help the poor people as she does. But all at ONCE? Man, I'd pull a Korgan on 'em one night. *grin*

[This message has been edited by tjekanefir (edited September 17, 2001).]

14. zantetsuken Guest

Mage Parties (where all NPC's as well as the PC are mages) are Great! I've played with one once, for the sake of curiousity (I just had to find out how well I'd fare:)) and all went quite well... Everybody had a good time...
    I especially like the part where I had a single Mordenkainen's sword draw Firkraag's attention while my Mages had great fun killing him taking turns at magic missile. (Just seeing the missiles released at once - lots of them - is a great sight... ohh, and I didn't forget lowering his resist a couple of times) I got Irenicus killed with not much problem... yes there were annoyances and times wherein I had to reload because somebody got killed Permanently (hmmm... low HP, I suppose) but the fun I got in return weighs it all out!:):):)

My opinion of a bad party is one which requires one or both of the following:
    Cleric or Druid
    Thief
    Yes, it's annoying to have to set off all the traps and miss many locked thingys or rest a lot. Without a cleric, you can't heal, revive or help someone.... resting 5 times just to get your comrades' healths to full before a battle is ANNOYING.
    Mages...hmmm... parties can do without them I suppose, but know this. If you dump them you're missing out one of the greatest figures that have made Baldur's Gate one of the greatest games in history and more...- in my opinion, anyways. Especially if you have ToB installed....the horror...

15. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] In my playing style the worst party is an all good aligned party.:D

16. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

PC Diviner
    Jester
    Kensai
    Aerie
    Anomen
    MINSC!!!

Give nobody more than 2 stats above 18. Give the diviner the lowest possible int, the kensai lowest possible dex and con, the jester low EVERYTHING. Then we have: Aerie (without the proper equipment she's horrible), Anomen (Most Annoying Voice of the Game Champion), and Minsc (Most Annoying Voice in a Black Isle Game tournament king). Give Minsc and Anomen some cursed items for good measure.

17. tjekanefir Gems: 13/31

Zantetsuken, did you actually play with six MAGES, or just with six people who can cast magic? Because Imoen, Nalia, Jan, and Aerie are all dual-class or multi-class and can use a variety of weapons and armors. The problem I'm foreseeing is if one had a party full of six single-class mages. Only two of them would be able to have reasonable armor classes (three if you have the bonus merchants, I guess); only three would ever get weapons better than +2; and together they'd run Athkatla's markets completely out of darts. (-:

Same (but worse) for six wizard slayers. There may be enough healing potions in town for *one* wiz slayer to solo the game, but there certainly aren't enough for six.

18. Namuras Gems: 13/31

You know, Kailynne, the party you listed is almost identical to my first one (I had Imoen instead of Haer'dalis), and I really liked it! Maybe not the most powerful party, but sure fun to play.

The worst party is, in my opinion, one that consists solely of characters of the same class (except thief and mage parties which I think would work out pretty well).

[This message has been edited by Namuras (edited September 17, 2001).]

19. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

How about using multiplayer to create - a band! All bards, possibly different kits...

20. Invoker Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Hehe bards of melody :)
    I think the bards would definitely do ok. But I've read somewhere someone suggesting a party of 6 half-orc barbarian brothers :) Now that'd be a sight to see against irenicus :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.