1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Work's Xmas bonus

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Barmy Army, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    How's yours?

Mine is feck all, the tight rats. I also only have Xmas day and Boxing day off work. I'm at work the rest of the time.

I'm surprised by this, as I work for a big American company who I thought were really into their Christmas and stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2007
  2. Giles Barskins Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

The complaints about the size of one's Christmas bonus fall upon deaf ears of those who do not get one at all.

3. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

A bottle of wine which will go the the girlfriend as I dont drink the stuff and a couple of movie vouchers.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I get to eat cookie dough. :yum:

Hubby's bringing home the invariable 5lb ham.

5. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

A spanking new Radeon plus one half terabyte HD.

No need to worry about a lack of space anymore. Or running any good recent game.

6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    As I mentioned in the RB thread, my Xmas bonus is in the form of a sick time pay-out check.

I got $350 and the wife got $200.

After the end of the year, we might get a yearly incentive check. Speculation is flying right now, but it could be anywhere from 1% to 5%...if we get one at all. The company as a whole didn't do too well this year, so I highly doubt we'll get 5%. :bad: :rolling:

7. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

He gets a ham?!? Wow, all I got was a $25 gift certificate usable only in the store. Then again, I imagine I could buy that five-pounder and get a couple of items over that, but the 'we own you and your shopping habits' undertone makes me "both apprehensive...and uneasy" ;)

Barmy? That 'big American company' IS big into Christmas if they're willing to give you the 26th off - that's no holiday in the US, that's the prime day for bargain/markdown shopping!

We get Xmas, Boxing and New Year's Day off. And most places I've worked will schedule you so that you work Xmas Eve or NY Eve, but not both.

8. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

I get a gift, not received yet, but also (hopefully) four days off - no cash.
    Most places I've worked in my checkered life have not had any sort of Christmas bonus but sometimes offered the day off and sometimes offered additional pay or the option of a later day off if you had to work on the holiday. The idea of a Christmas bonus was new to me until recently.

9. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    I got to choose, work Xmas Eve or Boxing Day, i chose Xmas Eve, cos Boxing Day is gonna be mad crazy rushness.

10. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I know my parents get an end-of-year bonus (which is getting a month's work worth of money without having to work for it - it doesn't sound logical to me), but a Christmas bonus?

I'll regard the time off to prepare papers and exams as a bonus then...to leeeeaaaaarn. :p

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Barmy, if you don't like it, change jobs. If you can't, or don't want to, then your company has given you exactly the right bonus. It's a free world - you can go and work somewhere else if you really want to.

12. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Our benifits don't follow over to other countries...why do you think American companies outsource so much? :D

I just have to point out that the fact that you work for an American company is perfect irony. :p :grin:

BTW, might I ask what company it is? You're not flipping burgers and Mickey D's are you? :p :rolling:

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

My Xmas bonus? No extra money - just two weeks' holiday. :D

God I love being on a school timetable again. :banana:

14. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Christmas bonus? I do shift work, so we live by the shifts, not by the calendar. Although the employer does pay us 7.5 hours wage for each mid-week holiday that we have off duty, because otherwise we would lose the paid day off that others get.

15. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

What is this "work" you speak of?

16. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I work for an IT outsourcing company called Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC).

17. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Nothing. Temps get diddly-squat for christmas.

18. Stu Gems: 20/31

I got a $30 coles-myer gift card, a 2008 diary and a nice tin of cookies. It really surprised me; my parents never get Christmas bonuses and I've only been working for a bit under 6month and only 2.5hrs a week at most and only during school term (I do tutoring). I guess I've just got a top boss :)

19. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I got nothing... and to top it all, I have to work in St Stephen's Day (what you barbarians call Boxing Day :p ), because I do tech support and silly computer users never take holidays.

20. Stu Gems: 20/31

What's so barbaric about the term "Boxing day"?! (you do realize it refers to packaging or 'boxing' gifts for poor people....and playing boxing day [cricket]test matches)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.