1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wizard Slayer Best Race and Alignment

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Evil Dad, Jul 23, 2003.

1. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

What race would make the best Wizard Slayer? and what race should he/she?

Humans are an obvious choice.

Dwarves seem to fit the roll really well. They are very non-magical characters and I can see a dual axe wielding dwarf hunting down wizards.

Elves have great bonuses and make first-rate fighters. Trouble is, Elves are inherently magical and don't seem to fit with the wizard slayer roll.

What alignment would he be? I would imagine either LN, like some inquisitor/judge or maybe chaotic evil.

Also, who would be good/suitable party members to take along with me?
    Me - Wizard Slayer
    Keldorn - Paladin(Inquisitor) -> anti-mage kit as well
    Anomen - Fighter/Cleric
    Jaheira - Fighter/Druid
    Viconia - Cleric
    Yoshimo/Imoen - Thief

I am assuming priests would be allowed to accompany a wizard slayer or shoule be be anti all magic.

What about Korgan? A great fighter, loves killing but would he fit with Keldorn?

Equipment:
    Armour - best available at time (maybe baldurans)
    Helmet of Balduran
    Boots of speed
    Amulet of seldarine
    Shield - best available at time
    Melee - long/bastard sword
    Ranged - throwing axe or hammer

Could go bow/crossbow with two-handed sword but thought extra AC might be better.

2. Obad-Hai Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

um I don't think the whole party will get along. Because Jahiera and Vic will probably fight (2 elves) and Vic will fight with all the other goodies. A dwarf would probably be best. Since (I think) they get a bonus for magic resistance. And were you talking about Korgan's equipment at the bottom or what you plan to use for your wizard slayer? Because wizard slayers can't use necklaces and such they can't even use potions! Oh ya I don't think Korgan will fit well with Keldorn either. Hope this helps!

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yes, but do they fit the wizard slayer biscuit? Get it? Roll? He he he....erm, sorry. Couldn't help it. :roll:

I would think, from a role-playing perspective, any alignment could work. Lawful-Good wizard slayers could take the Valygar path, deciding that magic is evil and dedicating themselves to its eradication. Perhaps an evil WS got in the game for sheer hatred and vengeance from a mage who did him wrong. A neutral WS because he doesn't sit idly by and let certain mages become too powerful...etc.

Also for similar reasons, I think any race would do fine. Elves would work well for exactly the reason you stated they wouldn't be; who better to face off against magic than those who know magic best? Ditto for gnomes. If drow were allowed in BG2, they would rule here (phenominal magic resistance). Halflings have great saving throws vs. wands. You could say a half-orc just hates what he could never understand, and thus takes a completely opposite path to magic. Now that I think about it, IMO humans seem the least natural fit.

As far as your party is concerned, I'd definitely take Valygar, no question. Maybe Vikki too, for her natural magic resistance. But she won't get along with Keldorn, so it's your call. Jan might be a good idea; he can be a terrific mage-killer if used properly. I don't think having a mage in your party necessarily kills your theme. In many cases, you need magic to combat magic.

As for weapons, anything with poison is a good idea. The constant damage from the poison will disrupt an enemy's spell casting, which pretty much means they're screwed. Darts are also not to be underestimated, but you can lob quite a few of them in a short amount of time, and some of them have great benefits (poison, wounding, etc.).

My 2 cents. ;)

4. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

@ Aasterinian : wizard slayers can actually use the amulet of seldarine (the one you get given by the elves) - it is usable by every class and seems to override the wizard slayers restrictions. Found this out when I tried out the WS in TOB as a test.

@ Death Rabbit : used darts with my Druid and I agree that they rock, but they don't seem to suit a fighter character. I will probably use a big powerful longbow. No gnome or halfling - can't see myself in that role somehow. A fat grumpy dwarf seems to fit!!!

I agree the Keldorn and Viccy may not get on, so who to take? I really like viccy, but keldorn will probably fit the theme better. Valygar is a good idea. what about mazzy? I might try and fit in Jaheira as druids have some awesome anti-mage spells.

Think I might go with either:

Good
    ----
    Me (human or elf)
    Keldorn
    Anomen
    Valygar
    Jaheira or Mazzy?
    Imoen

Evil
    ----
    Me (human or dwarf)
    Korgan
    Viconia
    Cernd or Jaheira?
    Jan
    Yoshimo -> Imoen? - not evil but she is my little sister

5. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I have a CG human Wizard Slayer leading this group:
    Valygar
    Keldorn
    (seems logical)
    Mazzy
    Cernd
    Jan
    (I want a mage - and like Death Rabbit I don't think it kills the theme to have a mage in your party)

It's important to remember that a Wizard Slayer is a fighter and as such he is trained to fight - the way the WS has learned to counter magic is similar to the way the Kensai has learned to master melee combat - but that doesn't mean that he wishes to kill every last spell caster... A WS's magic resistance/spell disruption is merely a way to master combat.

I'm dual wielding long swords and Scimitars - longs swords because they have some great bonuses that can make up for the WS's lack of rings/amulets, fx the Dragon Slayer, and Scimitars because I wanted to try something new... And the extra attack I get with Belm is killer - when I'm hasted I have 5 attacks per round which means that it only takes about two rounds to render a spell caster completely useless (5 x 10% spell faliure), and as you probably know Stoneskin and Iron Skins doesn't help them one bit :D

6. Chevalier Mal Fet Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

If you're thinking ToB, which you must be if you are planning to use the amulet of the Seldarine, I'd say go human. A friend of mine did such, and once the WS class ws high enough for him he dualed to a thief for the use any item ability, which could apparently help him out on the restrictions imposed by the WS class.

That's purely rules though, you may wish to play him differently. Plus that's ToB advice in the SoA forum :rolleyes:

7. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

i'd go for a dwarf because if some magic pierces your resistences you still have awesome saving throws. this suits better i think ... or do you like your "hero" being 'held person' or 'confused' if that is exactly what should not happen ?!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.