1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows XP Activation Error

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by ChickenIsGood, Jun 23, 2008.

1. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG] I know what you're all thinking, "he must be trying to install an illegitimate version of Windows." I actually wish that was the case, but unfortunately it is not. My situation is that I added a new drive to my computer and due to XP's habit of checking hardware to maintain it's on the same computer (explained) it tipped the scale and is forcing me to re-activate. This is normally not a problem as I've had to reactivate before for some reason or another. The problem is that when I attempt to open the activation program, it shows up as blank. With a little searching I found that it is a documented problem, so I followed all the steps on the Microsoft support page (well up until the last two but I'll get to that) and it still hasn't succeeded. I then went to try the last two steps where you re-install the ootb.inf file located in the registry, but it requires me to place a copy of Windows XP SP2 in the drive. The first problem I have is that I can't find my XP disk (yeah, I know I should've looked after it, but in 3+ years I've never used it), the second is that it is vanilla XP-- not SP2-- so I am not even sure if it will work. Lastly, I'm afraid that it may involve reformatting the drive (haven't looked into it yet). As I have three days to re-activate, I'm scrambling to find my disc, but am also looking for other options. I know that it is a problem that would be hard to help me with, but if any of you computer savvy members have help, or advice it would be greatly appreciated... and please, no down with M$, this is the first problem I've had with it.

2. starfox64 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

3. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

4. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

When I use the program Stu listed it brings up an error with this message, "Microsoft WGA Notification System is not currently active on your computer." After trying the suggested tips (found another site that had IE7 as the problem as well, but I don't have that) I think my course of action is to start moving my important files to my parents PC. Then just re-install Windows and restore everything from there.

Edit: I found my XP key and then borrowed a disk from a friend. Does anyone know if a SP2 disk will work with a vanilla code? I think it should, but Microsoft tends to work in mysterious ways.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  6. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

It seems that it doesn't, since my product key isn't working... D'oh. I think I'll download an .iso of vanilla XP. I know it's not right, but I'm using my own serial code, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  7. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

If you can still run windows to some extent you can suss out the key you used to originally install windows using a program like this (.exe 481kb). It might be worth checking it against the one on the box.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Have you tried contacting your local MS support? They should be able to offer some help with this...

9. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    vanilla code?

10. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31

Veteran

Vanilla code was with no service packs, though as it turns out my code was for a SP1 install...

I ended up doing the wrong thing, but at least I tried :grin: My friend's dad let me use one of the activations for his business product key, what a nice guy.

11. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I find it amusing that anti-piracy systems force people to pirate what they were made to protect.

12. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I find it terrible that sites that upload copywright things force gamemakers to do desparate things. They let us jump trough holes just to stay in business on the pc platform, the selfish bastards. Or microsoft to pester users when they find out that the number of illegal copies cannot be counted, while we use the price as excuse.

A friend of mine bought an 8800gtx the day it came out, but did not buy his games. But this is getting way of topic.

13. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

BTW isn't this a US only thingy?

14. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

No...

15. Taluntain

Media:
    MicroSoft has localized versions of its products and accompanying support in pretty much every civilized country on the planet.

16. Merlanni

Media:
    I posted this question on the hardware forum I am a memeber of. After a few reacitions a system builder showed up and said the following: The last series of oem version where of a batch called sp2c, the previous version b. He can install a slipstreamed version whit service pack 3 but must use the b code for the b batch, and the c code for the c batch. The second thing is that a lot of codes have been disabled.

This explains why sometimes it works and sometimes not. it also give us people who build ourselves a problem when we use oem versions. I wonder if finding your disk solves the problem.

17. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I have gotten this error before too. What I did to resolve the issue is I went to the Microsoft website and did the activation through their website; I had to reboot for the system to finally activate.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.