1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows Vista near collapse, says Gartner

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Montresor, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Not only that, but if Windows Vista bombs, Microsoft itself is in for a plunge. Software packages like Windows and Office are Microsoft's cash cows, without which the rest of the company isn't viable:

Gartner analysts Michael Silver and Neil MacDonald told a conference audience yesterday that Microsoft’s Windows product is collapsing and must make radical changes to its operating system or risk becoming a has-been.

They specifically pointed out the slow adoption rate by businesses - just 6% to date - and the fact that the Vista code base is so large. That means changes take years, and only high end computers can really take advantage of it anyway.

Microsoft makes a ton of revenue on sales of software that sit on the computer. $15 billion a year for Windows alone, and another $16 billion for Office and Exchange Server in 2007. That’s 60% of Microsoft’s total revenue, and profits from those groups float the rest of the company. Microsoft isn’t a viable company without their consumer and business desktop software profits.

Read the full article here

Is Microsoft a giant on clay feet? Or is Gartner alarmist?

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Haha, if M$ ever goes belly up, I'm gonna party line it's 1999.

Seriously, though, slow adoption rate of Vista? Why would anyone in their right mind WANT to switch to bloated trash when it's predecessor does the job pretty well, and all without the bloat?

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

For once I agree with Disciple. XP works fine. No need for Vista whatsoever.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Businesses will start switching in larger numbers once the support for XP is terminated. And if Vista turns out to be a dud, MS will just do what it's always done - bring out a replacement sooner. I don't think anyone needs to worry that MS doesn't have enough talented people to get it out of every mess. The OS business is just a portion of the overall MS activities.

5. Disciple of The Watch

And trust me, this will NOT become a habit.

6. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    That's not going to happen because XP support has been extended until 2010 and...

... and said replacement is due to be out in 2009. Now if that replacement tanks as badly as Vista did, then yeah, maybe MS will be in trouble. Highly doubtful though.

So I'd have to say Gartner is being an alarmist. MS has been making profits in the billions for over a decade. One or two years of decreased profit is really, really not going to make any difference. There is simply no way this can be enough to send the company crashing, or even to make a significant dent. Besides, new PCs that are being shipped without Vista are being shipped with XP instead - which means MS are still making money out of almost every PC that is being bought, regardless of how badly Vista is doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2008
  7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's a new eXPerience for MS though, that's for sure... masses of people NOT wanting to switch to a newer OS because the old one is so good. :D

8. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I am not dissapointed whit vista. It runs nice and stable and has not locked up or crashed after I found the bad memory simm. Performance is less, I agree, but still for a new pc that is strong enough it is the logical choice. No way that MS is going to release a new one as soon as 2009.

The trick for MS is to avoid lawsuits that can restrict certain products. I hope that their monopoly will be broken, and OEM manufacturers are forced to ship their computers whitout an operating system.

9. Taluntain

Media:
  10. Fairie Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Media:
    Gimme a ring when that goes down, I'll bring toast.

Damn straight Vista's failing, it's the worst excuse for an OS I've ever seen. I'd prefer 95 to that puddle of rubbish.

:)

Disciple of The Watch likes this.
  11. Disciple of The Watch

Haha, that's the kind of attitude I like! I'll add you to the guests of honor list for sure.

And back to crappy ol' Vista... my former workplace was adamantly against it. We would do it on special order, but not until the customer has succesfully persuaded us of the benefits of having Vista and not XP. It happened only once.

Often, though, I'd get HP/Dell laptops with Vista pre-installed, and my job was to nuke Vista and do a fresh XP install.

I also can't help but find it ironic that Vista's successor might drop next year. I hope for the sake of Winblows users that this next version has less bloat and is less of a resource hog than Vista is. Until then, I'll stick with XP for my gaming needs, not because I like it, mind you, but because it works.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    MS went through this with ME, and Vista is viewed by many as much the same situation. I've been running both Vista and XP on the same computer, and really, despite the critics, I've encountered few problems with Vista, unlike ME, which really was their worst OS in recent years. The all time worst is 3.1; it almost drove me back to Apple. After Win98, I considered the same move, but XP changed that. I would still like to tinker with Apple though at some point....But I despise anything based on Usucks. The less I have to do with anything UNIX, the happier I am....

13. Disciple of The Watch

I'll have to take the other side and disagree with you - now that I have gotten BSD up and running (which is, just so you know, a direct descendent of UNIX), I'm never looking back... I'm done with Linux and Apple. Sure, BSD/UNIX is no piece of cake (to put it mildly), but it's totally worth it.

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    That's the point I'm not sure about. Going that route is a great way to accumulate a lot of technical knowledge and you can wind up with a finely tuned, customized OS - but there's a lot of tinkering. But really, a lot of us just don't have that kind of time. UNIX is a "time thief."

15. Disciple of The Watch

Time thief? Look at it anyway you want, Chandos, but the mandatory antivirus/malware scans Winblows require eat the same amount of time in the long than it initially takes to get NIX tuned up to one's perticular tastes. NIX requires next to zero maintenance too.

But we're getting off-topic, so I'll leave it at that.

16. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I've never done any of that in either Vista or XP. I'm not sure from where you are getting the "mandatory" part of that, DotW.

17. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The vast majority of users cannot manage to run one OS whitout messing it up. So two will be hell for them. I do not care what OS my pc runs, as long as it runs games. I am not going to debate other OS whit you, but I do know that the non MS cannot run all the games out there. The second reason is that people use MS on work.

18. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I agree with that too!

19. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Personally, I dont think Vista is all that bad. Seems stable enough. And seems to be fast enough too. I think a lot of the negative publicity is coming from people who bought a crap computer with Vista on it, which can be pinned on companies like Acer and not MS. I mean, we were still selling laptops with 512MB of ram and 1.73ghz Celeron processors earlier this year at work (trust me, I felt so dirty selling them)

The Evil Empire will still be getting my money for some time to come I think :p

20. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    If Vista tanks...M$ should just put XP back on the drawing board, give us DX10, and SP4 (SP3 is supposed to be out some time this month), and everyone will be happy again.

Right now, DX10 is really the only reason to switch to Vista...and there aren't many games that take full advantage of it. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.