1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Windows 7 pre-order (perhaps still) available

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Ragusa, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    :shake: I am lucky to have grabbed one of the few available Windows 7 Home Premium pre-orders :shake: for about a third (~50 Euro) of the prospective price of the product when it hits the shelves in October (i.e. I don't expect it to be any cheaper than its Vista equivalents). So, everybody who is interested ought to hurry - in most of the stores I looked for it the offer was already sold out.

I don't want to go back to Vista 64. I am using (superior) Windows 7 RC atm, and I wanted to buy Windows 7 when it comes out anyway. A golden opportunity.

Check SP's stores for it if you're interested :)

Mental Note: I ought to sell my Vista 64 Home Premium asap, as long as it is still worth something.

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't believe you can legally sell your Vista 64 Home Premium (unless you also have some other version) because the WIndows 7 pre-orders with the discount are for upgrade versions.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  4. Ragusa

Media:
    Well, I do think what I bought is not just an upgrade option, but the whole thing. For that speaks that I got the delivery estimate 23 Oct 2009 - 26 Oct 2009, thee date Windows 7 hits the shelves anyway.

In that light, my Vista 64 Premium is at the very least dispensable. As for whether I am allowed to sell it, I'll need to have another look. Thanks for the heads up on that BTA.

From what I found out the pre-order-mania is a promotional stunt by Microsoft Ireland Operations Limited ahead of the market introduction of Windows 7 (according to their German site). That means, the offer is perhaps only limited to Europe. Overview on the pre-order on the site of Microsoft UK.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eligibility implies it's an upgrade Click on the "How do I know I am eligible for this offer" link.

Pretty sneaky of them; they do not really make it clear anywhere else that I saw from your link.

Based on US information though the upgrade versions were the only ones being discounted on this preorder deal; the full retail versions were still their significantly higher price.

6. Ragusa

Media:
    Hah! Sneaky indeed. Bastards. I thought I'd be able to refinance my VISTA purchase.
    Then again, considering that I wanted to buy Windows 7 anyway, it is a bargain still.

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  8. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Most Vista 64 Premiums now come with a FREE Window 7 upgrade coupon. I was considering buying Vista Ultimate for $189 to obtain the best Window 7 available; however, I can sit and use Window Vista until I'm ready for a full PC upgrade, which is just around the corner.

9. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    Is this retroactive? Does it apply to Vista 64 Premiums purchased in the past, or only ones you purchase now?

I would absolutely not mind a free Windows 7 upgrade :) That will definitely push me to getting it once it's out.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    No. You only get a free Win7 coupon if you buy Vista brand new, or certain new computers, during the offer period.

11. Ragusa

Media:
    Yeah, having bought Vista 64 last October screws me. Punishment for the early buyer I guess.

I use Windows 7 RC 64 bit now. I'm curious, can I used my new Win7 key to upgrade that without having to reinstall?

12. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    We had to uninstall older windows 7 versions before installing rc 7100 I remember. So, it seems unlikely to me. The release candidate is the ultimate version I believe.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.