1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wild Wild West OOC

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Deathmage, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    New RP!

Okay. I’m not a DM (well, I’m Deathmage, but I’m not the Dungeon/Game Master). This is a freeform play-by-post game. But before you post, let me lay down some ground rules:

(1) NO MAGIC. Seriously, just…no. You’d think it didn’t need to be said, but… :p

(2) No powergaming/character wankery. The best example I can think of is NaeVa from Pirates of the Sorcerean 2. He showed up with an awesome dagger-throwing pirate captain with a super-ship and a fleet and a crapload of treasure at a cove somewhere. The result? Lokken shot him in the head and I chucked him overboard. Let this be a lesson.

(3) Don’t do stuff to other PCs that you wouldn’t want done to yours. While a dramatic death is infinitely better than an improbable survival, please at least get player permission first before you injure them seriously/kill them/etc. Killing unnamed NPCs is generally alright, but remember you might piss off their friends (as NaeVa did when he killed one of my underlings).

(4) I know there’s many archetypes, but we can’t all be Clint Eastwood and play the Man With No Name. A few is alright, but the town probably wouldn’t be able to support a large population of vagabonds. :D Consider playing some of the more menial roles, like accountants, sheriff’s deputy, tailor, clockmaker, commoner, children, train attendant, etc etc. Just because they don’t have a cool profession doesn’t mean they can’t be interesting and awesome.

(5) Please don’t blaze the action too far when there’s a bunch of people online, and leave the poor other timezoners (ie: me) out of the game :p. Branching plotlines are good!

(6) Aik has convinced me that metagaming is not necessarily a bad thing; but just don't powergame and magically see through everyone's disguises, etc, okay? Plotting is fine.

(7) Have fun!

I’m sorry for sounding like a strict a-hole, but such things need to be said. Feel free to add anything else. Anyways, since there's apparently lots of interest in PbP RP, I've made one with a new theme. Game on, boys!

Feel free to use this thread to plot, or link to interesting information, or provide additional background detail about your characters, or whatever. Oh, the setting is hopefully real-world, time unspecified, so you can include all sorts of stuff you'd like. We're in America, btw.

About Johnny: Johnny is the leader of a small outlaw gang, and he’s currently waiting for his mates to arrive so they can carry out a planned heist of robbing the local bank. Their plan is to go in, grab the loot, get on their horses, ride, and catch the train leaving the station so they can board it and hightail out of there. Feel free to play his mates.

I wonder who's going to grab the sheriff first?

EDIT: Perhaps we could get a social group for this, or maybe we can finally start an RP group. Might want to be distinct from the IRC group, though.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I'm going to take up the role of the barman and owner of the Saloon, Albert Finley. He's old, about 55, with white hair and, as DM so politely put it, an outrageous handlebar moustache.

3. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    While we're at it, go join the RP Social Group, guys!

4. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Max Crowler, a veteren of the..... incarcerated. In his 40s and is quite shallow, of sorts. He wants money, and taking it easy. He is very loyal if it pays. He can be bribed or taking anything to save his skin.

5. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Samantha Sergejeva Duncan, or Sammy D. for short. (surname not being Russian is intentional)

A 26 year old, doctor by trade, born in Moscow, but enrolled to Newnham College of Cambridge University to earn her doctor's degree.

As for why she is roaming the West:
    She got tired of people (especially colleagues) not believing she was a doctor and treating her like she was an ordinary nurse, just because she wore a skirt. So, she packed her bags and boarded a ship to the New World. On the Wild West, where doctors were a rarity enough, she thought she might get to be called Doc, after all.

Besides, as one of her professors used to say:

"Where there are people and guns, there are bullet wounds."

And she is good at digging the bullets out.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  6. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    More about Johnny: He's a young kid, only about 17 - 19, and he's not especially educated. He's illiterate, but he can think on his feet. He's basically just a dumb kid looking to make a name for himself.

I'll start playing the rest of Johnny's gang by way of NPC if people don't show up!

7. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

William Watson. A "too big for his britches" type, young (about 22) and naive; loves looking the part of the hero which often gets him in trouble. He's been with big name vigilantes when they've dealt with outlaws in the past and now thinks himself to be a big shot vigilante. He's really into his look, hat tipped down slightly covering his eyes, fancy dress, high quality buckskin, twin revolvers. A real pretty boy too, with blond hair and blue eyes.

Will, as he prefers to be called, is a recent arrival, clearly running from trouble, as he's trying to lay low, something he can't ever quite seem to do.

8. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Alright, we're gonna start doing the bank thing soon (by soon I mean "when Takara next gets on"). So hold on to your seatbelts, or whatever.

We need more players! C'mon, folks, don't be shy!

9. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Jonathan Andrews. Everyone calls him Andrews. The town's Sheriff (as it looks like we need one).
    24 years old

Jon is the typical backwater town lawman; overworked, underpaid and given no thanks for his work. It bothers him sometimes that there is such a need for sheriffs in the world but he likes his job as dangerous as it is. He dresses in the traditional dark blue colours of law enforcement and usually carries a revolver, although he rarely has occasion to fire it.
    He does not drink as he knows it dulls the senses, but he likes chilled water.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  10. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Do we mind if I give the banker and his daughter a name?

I was thinking Burt Campbell and Sally Campbell for the two. Burt would be 44 and Sally 17. Scottish ancestry, Presbyterians. Anyway I figured Sally would be a pretty redhead whose father my wannabe hero is trying to impress.

11. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Sure, take whomever you want.
    EDIT: That bundle is a stick of dynamite, which Johnny will use if necessary to make his big escape/threaten people. The teller I have a gun pointed to can well be Sally.

We have something like 200 views on the RP thread yet there's only, what, five players? Come on, guys! I know you'll read this!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  12. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Sally probably wouldn't work at the bank. The Campbells would be a "different" sort of people. The "good" folks of the West, i.e. the rich types.

13. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    I'm out. Sorry.

14. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Dave Balder, Town Mayor. Hes a bit of a chubby guy, clean shaven, short hair, wife is called Fiona, 2 kids, 16 and 8, called Jake and Callie. He's one of the few honest Mayors in the area, quite intelligent and has so far not fallen to any of the schemes of other power hungry mayors.

15. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Magister, it's your choice whether or not the shots hit or miss completely.

16. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    DM, waiting for you to say who my shots hit, either the men or the horses.

--

Do they have phones in your setting?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2008
  17. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    If you want. Anything goes, as long as it's in relatively correct timeframe.

18. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31

Before 1861, there was no transcontinental telegraph system, but that's not to say there wouldn't have been telegraph connections between important areas of the western territories (telegraph began commercial use in the States in the 1840s). Telephones might have in operation in the late 1870s or the 1880s historically speaking, but not common until the 20th century.

19. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

Gabe Ortega Bandit Extraordinaire

Gabe is relatively young, in his early twenties and one of Johnny Wilde's band of miscreants. He's tall, over six foot with dark hair and skin of mixed and uncertain heritage but with a distinct southern accent. He is very handsome and can be quite vain about it. Generally wears dark, weather worn clothing and looks like he's lived out of a saddle bag most of his life. He's been a friend of Johnny's for a few years although his loyalty is mainly to himself.

(I'll have to let his personality flesh itself out in the RP as I'm not sure where he's headed, just a general look and starting point for now.)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  20. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I really cant do anything until I find out more about the mysterious assault of the Bandit without messing up someone else's plans. More info please.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.