1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Why the Internet will Fail! (Newsweek Article from 1995)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Montresor, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Someone directed me to this article and I just had to share it. :D

Read the rest at threewordchant.com.

2. Tillix Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Cool stuff!

Well there are some parts in which the writer is - as least still - correct, though.
    It WAS common opinion that the book itsself will die really soon.
    First stuff that has been sold heaviliy on the internet were: books!

Mh what i don't understand is: 1995 is the year at which the internet was "opened to the public", IIRC. How could the guy have been online for 2 decades then? It also appears to be folish to try to forcast the impact with the internet JUST being opened to public, i.e. commerce...

3. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    haha, funny stuff... :lol:

Some of his arguments are still valid today, but I think the author (like the majority of people at that time) didn't have enough vision. Though you can hardly blame them since, as Tillix points out, the Internet was just emerging.

Still, from a retrospect stand point, it's really funny... :D

4. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think he is correct. This internet fad will never last.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    What an arrogant fool this guy is. It appears that Newsweek "pundits" lack all common sense, at least they did in 1995.

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Well, maybe he has read Whatnots. Oh, wait ...

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    OHNOZ!!! Teh interwebz is doooomed!!! :eek:

I better IM my local government officials and make them aware of this impending demise!

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sorry for the slight thread necro (in fairness, the post is still on the first page).

Yeah, total lack of vision for where the internet could go. I'm sure most of us in 1995 had a similar lack of vision, but then again, most of us didn't write articles for Newsweek stating definitively that the internet would fail. I can't fault the writer for his lack of vision, but I can fault him for speaking out of his arse. I’m sure he got a lot of attention over this article when it was released, which based on his lack of acknowledgement that he might be wrong, is what he was going for.

On the other hand, who could have known just how comfortable your average human would be living in a largely cyber reality. Newspapers are all but about to go the way of the dodo in favor of online news. Online video game obsessions that result marriages dissolving, and in one case, parents neglecting to feed their own baby, allowing her to die of malnutrition? Really? The internet is available everywhere you go, from your cell phone?? What?

I’d love to see this guy’s 2010 update to this article. “Couldn’t have been more wrong about the Internet’s staying power” would be an appropriate title.

I’m glad he turned out to be dead wrong, otherwise I might not have a job right now!

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I bet most of would struggle to predict where things will be at in 15 years time. Who'd have thought 3D movies would have made a comeback, or that mobile phones would have become SO powerful, or that a black man named Barry Hussein would be president of the USA, or that people would STILL be playing Baldur's Gate II?

10. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    When I was in 3rd grade (about 1990), the teacher asked us to draw what the city would look like in the year 2000. We all drew flying cars, spaceships and the like... :lol:

11. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Damn, I wish the Internet HAD failed. The world would be a better place.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.