1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Which Cleric Domain Should I Choose For This Party?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Taz, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Taz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Which Cleric Domain Should i Choose For This Party ??

1.Paladin x / Fighter 4

2.Fighter 4 / Barbarian x

3.Cleric Of ??

4.Bard

5.Sorcerer

6.Wizard

[ March 17, 2003, 20:05: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Battleguard of Tempus or Painbairer of Ilmater. Both are very good and effective clerics. Both can hold their own in melee. Tempus because of the free Axe proficiency, and Ilmater because of the +6 CON ability they get. Battleguards also gain the Tempus' Strength ability, which boosts STR, though by how much escapes me.

If this doesn't help out, look at the various domainspells, and look which spells complement your party best.

3. Taz Gems: 2/31

Thanx its just ive heard that the best Cleric domain is Tempus because og the melee capabilities but arent the Lthander cleric the best healer/caster cleric ? and yes she/he lacks in melee :S.

4. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Every cleric will get the same spell, it's just the DOMAIN spell and the special skill of that class who will change, Myself I'll go with Ilmater +6 CON is a life saver sometimes...

5. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would recommend the Battleguard of Tempus myself. Given your spellcaster heavy party composition I would say that you could use a little more melee capability out of your cleric.

6. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Probably Tempus. To protect your Bard, Sorcerer and Wizard while the other two are hacking monsters up up front.

7. plain vanilla Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Go for ilmater if you have an all good party.

Extra holy word and having stoneskin is excellent. Stun all evil enemies and have your spellcasters destroy the enemy en-masse with spells. Later on you get horrid wilting (i believe)which is an excellent damage dealing spell. If you want a tank, the ilmater cleric has the +6 con ability which is all the more better for soaking up damage while your spellcasters dish out damage.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Ilmater receives some roleplaying opportunities while there's nothing for Lathander except one dialogue option in one village that that also requires some diplomacy and so serves only charismatic or trained characters - aka leaders (I noticed several non-leaders highly charismatic clerics, but don't do that for turning undead solely). Six point CON bonus means 3 hp/level for a few rounds (like 45 on level 15) and I suppose it cuts your maximum only when it wears off. Stoneskin in cleric's repertoire is helpful in most party builds (in mine wasn't at all, but I had a Morninglord anyway). Apart from that if you like Horrid Wilting you'll have one.

So, if you wish for another melee-wise strong character, get Ilmaterian. If you could use some more artillery, get Lathanderian. My personal choice is a burning and smiting Morninglord with not even a single fighting-related feat. Surprisingly, he performed well as a tank (you get several buffs on the common list) with his mace with huge fire damage (but w/o bonuses to hit or enchantment) or a shooter (heavy crossbow +4). Holy Smite (Painbearer of Ilmater also receives this spell as domain spell) is brilliant if all your party is good-aligned. Imagine a rain of fire that falls on you and your heretic enemies alike but only hurts the latter ;) Later in game I also got him a Cloak of Displacement in addition to well-planned defence buffs (items and spells). His kills and XP ratio was 15% in a team of six.

He's described together with the rest of the party in a separate topic to which I'll link here if I remember ;) .

EDIT:

http://www.sorcerers.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=001377

[ March 20, 2003, 19:45: Message edited by: chevalier ]

9. Urgazhi Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

dreadmaster of bane.... they get gate at level 7 :evil: not a particulatly good healer though...

10. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Dwarven Fighter/Battleguard of Tempus... One very good class... :)

11. Khelben Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Pure clerics are better than mc'ed ones.
    For your party i think the best is BoT otherwise it's MoL.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Clerics don't rely on levels as much as arcane casters do. If you really must, you could get one level of some warrior class for a tank-role cleric. Better than sacrificing feats. With Battleguard of Tempus no such levels are needed. It's already like fighter/cleric.

13. Raistlin24 Gems: 2/31

My proposition is Shield Dwarf Battleguard of Tempus
    The reasons for this choice are the following
    1.Since the Battleguard of Tempus gets 2 pips in Martial Weapon, Axes right off the bat,he's geared to melee in the very first portions of the game automatically.This makes him the best choice for tanking out of all the cleric domains since he doesn't have to spend 2 feats to get him ready for it(and you kind of need 2 tankers for a big portion of the game). Axes are also one of the best weapon types in the game since you can use one-handed and two-handed axes as well as throwing axes. The actual special abilities on various axes in the game are also quite good in comparison to other weapon types.
    2.The main reason I proposed a Dwarf was because of the increased Constitution score, which helps your hit points and more importantly your concentration checks.Being a dwarf works out well because we only need to advance a single skill(Concetration) as opposed to two skills like many human characters are designed to do.
    On the other hand, comparig to the other Cleric domains, I would say the Battleguard of Tempus's domain spells are slightly above average.They are just standard cleric spells like Prayer, Animate Undead, etc., so you aren't getting anything special (as opposed to the Clerics of Selune, Talos or Lathander).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.