1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

When to dual a Kensai thief?

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Talwin, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Talwin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I plan to use this guy all the way through ToB. Should I dual at 12 or 24? Or any level in between? Any advice would be welcome

2. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

you only get around 3.5million xp in ToB... i dualled at level 15 - but i think dualling at 12 is more than sufficient if you want quick access to the thief's awesome high level abilities - also watchers keep requires a decent thief - picking locks can net you insane amounts of xp

3. Talwin Gems: 4/31

I was pretty sure the exp cap was 8 million for ToB

4. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] The experience cap is 8million points in TOB, however, having played it through twice now, most of my party members wind up with between 5.5 and 6.75million points even though I complete all quests and subquests and kill all available enemies.

Heck, I even got points for killing gaed and/or summoned demons that turned on/attacked me.

Just my expereience here.

5. Talwin Gems: 4/31

How many people do you have in your party? I'm considering dumping a few, eg imoen when I start getting thieving skills

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

the xp cap is 8 million, but you wont even get there due to ToB not having enough quests to actually meet the cap - replay it 3 times, and you'll get there

you should make sure you dual at lvl 9-12 so you start making use of your thieving skills

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I would recommend to dual at lvl-13 (a good investment considering the 8 million x-cap) for this iirc will give you the full 3 melee attacks per round. If you choose scimitars, you can use Belm for 4 attacks per round :D ... additionaly scimitars have better initiative than longswords too, nice for backstabbing ...

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited August 17, 2001).]

8. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] I would recommend multiclass instead of dual class for ToB.
    But for dual classing, level 13 (for extra attack) or 9 (for optimal HP's) seem right to me.

9. Talwin Gems: 4/31

Well my problem with multiclassing is it limits my proficiency in weapons and is horribly slow with advancement =/

10. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

if you multi-class an elf kensai thief you get the dex bonus, can use the thief abilites straightaway and abuse the hide in shadows/backstab strategy combined with cloak of non detection fairly early on - once you get the use any item ability you become unstoppable

11. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Only dual class can use a kit. Multiclass characters must be standard class except in the case of Gnome Illusionist/Thief.

12. Ragusa

Media:
    I think what Tassadar was talking about is pre-creating an mc fighter-thief, exporting him, and editing in the kensai-kit using SK .... this indeed is possible.

13. All Creation Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

0I will Dual him at level 20 when you have gotten all his saving throw bonus and hit points. Thief can level up very fast in TOB, also keeping a smaller party help alot.

Note that thiefs have very poor saving throws and hit points.

When you get the use any item abillity you can use a upgraded carsomyr +6. Who needs to be a palladin to use it?

14. Ragusa

Media:
    I think then you can use the human flesh with a good thief as well (+4 on all saving throws, evil only) :D

15. Tassadar Gems: 23/31

Veteran

good point about the no kits for multi-class thing... even better point about the SK thing =)

if you intend to use carsomyr for the thief, bear in mind that backstabs won't work with 2 handed swords - but hell with holy avenger swinging about, you won't need to backstab!

16. Sparhawk Gems: 4/31

If I wanted to dual I'd go through SoA with one character then dual him on the last save, if you import him the new class will get the experience start in Tob automatically raising its level to 16-21.

17. Talwin Gems: 4/31

Ugh I already dualed him at level 13 =( Heh I'm about to get the skills back I'll see what kind of character I have =)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.