1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's there to do in Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by krunchyfrogg, Aug 11, 2005.

1. krunchyfrogg Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Looks like I'll be spending a week in L.A. this December, and I'll be free to do as I wish during the day (taking a vacation with the Wife, but she's got conferences during the day).

So, what's there to do in L.A.?

It'll be my first time in California. I've lived my whole life in N.Y. and N.J..

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are museums from the Getty to the Natural History to the Tar Pits to the Science Center to the Long Beach Aquarium. There are parks and gardens from Griffith Park and Observatory to the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens. There's Chinatown and Little Tokyo and Koreatown and Olvera Street. There's the Hollywood sign and the Walk of Fame and Union Station. There are farmer's markets and fine restaurants. There are amusement parks from Knott's Berry Farm to Universal Studios to Disneyland to Magic Mountain. Thre are beaches and piers and the canals and boardwalks of Venice. There's Ports O'Call, the Queen Mary and Shoreline Village. Plenty to see and plenty to do :)

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I'm not a fan of Los Angeles at all. It's one of my least favourite US cities. I think it is dirty, sprawling, and soulless.

But enough negativity. If you have never been there before, it can be interesting to go for a drive around Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive, Universal Studios is worth a look, and Hollywood is OK to see (once). My favourite place in the vicinity of Los Angeles is Disneyland, which I think is great.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Meh. I've been to San Fransisco and San Diego, but I never found a reason to go to L.A. (unless you want to be an actor/actress :lol: ).

5. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

I was in L.A. last week (for the first time), and I must agree with Harbourboy on the dirty, sprawling, and soulless part. I was there for only three days, of which I spend a whole day in Universal, so I didn't see everything, but I wasn't that impressed with what I saw.

Universal is fun, and it will keep you busy for a whole day. Especially the ride over the actual studios and filming sets is fun. The Hollywood sign is a must see attraction, but it wasn't that clearly visible with all the smog when I was there. If you want to see the Walk of Fame, go to the section near Grauman's Chinese Theatre (where stars put their imprints in concrete). You probably can't see the whole Walk of Fame, and the part near Grauman's has the biggest celebrities. Besides that, the rest of Hollywood Boulevard just looks like gone glory. December probably isn't the busiest season, but last week there were so many tourist on Grauman's Chinese Theatre that you could hardly read what all the celebrities wrote.

A walk over Rodeo Drive is something you can do when you're bored; it's just shops with clothes and stuff too expensive for any mortal person. I took a glimpse at Venice Beach and Santa Monica Pier, but the weather wasn't very nice that day, or else I would have taken a strowl over the beach.

All in all, I liked San Fransisco better and if I'm ever in that part of the US again, I might just skip Los Angeles completely.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.