1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's the deal with Sassar virus?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, May 4, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    What does this thing actually do? I hear it makes your system shut down, but it doesn't erase any files. If that's the worst that happens, it is rather an innocuous virus. Does anyone know if it does anything more than that?

I also have one question. It says the virus affects people with operating systems of Windows XP and Windows 2000. I have Windows Me, but I have never been able to determine if Windows Me is the same as Windows 2000. Does anyone know this, as it will largely determine whether or not my home computer could become affected.

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

For one, those computers have to be rebooted. Might not sound much, but when there is over a thousand machines, it means a lot of work. Just today one of finnish banks, Sampo, had to close ALL of its offices to repair the network.

Hopefully they are smart enough to move on Linux soon -Xandros Desktop could be Windows, when it comes to office use...

Windows ME is almost the same as Windows 98, which is just a updated Windows 95 ;) Windows 2000 is a developed Windows NT. To answer your question: no, your home computer cannot be infected, if the virus can contaminate only Win2k, WinNT, or WinXP machines.

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, it's a vulnerability in windows NT. So, that cover NT 4.0, NT 5.0, NT5.1. I've no idea what version NT that Win2k3 is, but it's vulnerable too.

It's a lsass hole, which is a basic part of the entire operating system. If you plug your computer into the net, you're vulnerable. You don't have to be running anything special or doing anything right/wrong or logged in as root. You could be logged in as a guest and your computer is vulnerable.

Since it's only been a week or so since I last crashed my computer, I'll list what I have burned off to dvdr:

Serivce Pack 1 (I have SP1, not SP1a)
    Autopatcher 4.5 (the Feburary edition)
    KB837009
    kb837001
    kb828741
    kb835732
    kb832483

All that put together is about 360meg, or so. The SP1 and Autopatcher are nearly automatic, so you can run them and walk away from the computer for a little while. Makes patching nice. Also, if you get a virus or worm, you can pull your network plug, and crash/restore your machine without worrying about being infected again when you try to connect to winupdate.

Also, shutting down all the un-needed services helps out a lot. Stuff that you just have no use for, disable it in the hardware profile. Don't bother stopping things, just disable them and reboot into a nice, clean state.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.