1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's the best computer RPG you've ever played?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Klorox, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

I'm looking for a new game. I wouldn't mind going for a slightly older game (a friend of mine is recommending Final Fantasy 7), so just lemme know what you're thinking!

TIA!

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

All Might and Magic games are timeless classics. Well, except for MM8, which I've found to pretty boring, and never got into MM9.

3. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

From M&M1 on up? Cool! Maybe I'll check those out. Please give me a short description about the games!

4. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

I agree with DotW, Might & Magic series are classic, also try the Wizardy series and Sacred isn't too bad, Divine Divinity has good moments but I haven't finished it yet. And the only succesful mix of RTS and RPG that I've found is Spellforce.

5. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Betrayal at Krondor and the Ultima series.

6. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Ooh... This old chestnut. Well, I love most of my RPGs dearly (damn you, Battlespire! :grr: ) and having to choose is tough. I'd probably plump for Baldur's Gate, just ahead of Ultima VII: The Black Gate.

7. Clixby Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Fallout series. Well, Fallout 1 and 2, at least. I don't count the others.

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Might and Magic 6 and 7 are the best, though they are very difficult. You should be able to find them verrrrrry cheap these days.

I purchased Fallout Collection recently and I couldn't get into it, but I will give them a try when I get bored of Oblivion and Theme Hospital.

9. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Here is the Wikipedia page about Might and Magic. There are links to pages about all games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Might_and_Magic

Might and Magic I and II are pretty rustic, basic games, but they're among the most addicting I ever played.

MM3 was a considerable graphic improvement, and just as good as it's predecessors.

MM4 (Clouds of Xeen) are the pinnacle of the series. No other MM game comes close to this one.

MM5 (Darkside of Xeen) Completes Clouds of Xeen and adds on another epic adventure. Merges with Clouds to form World of Xeen. You can freely travel from one world to the other.

MM6 was the only other MM game to ever match it's predecessors. Fun till the last minute.

MM7 Not bad, I especially liked the fact that you can choose your path (light or dark)

MM8 - No comments. Hated it.

MM9 - Idem

10. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

MM8 had its charm, but it was way too short and too easy. Number 6 was the best of the lot I think.
    It lacked in the music bit though. 2-3 tracks playing through the whole game got anoying.

if you like the MM games you might like a game called Lands of Lore as well. Its very similar, allthough shorter.

11. el timtor Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

If you're wanting something other than RPG's, may I recommend Half-Life?

It's still (IMO) the best of the FPS's, and there are countless mods to be had, as well.

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I'd have to list Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar and Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind as the two most addictive ones I've ever played.

13. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Someone made a remake of Ultima 5 by the way. I am playing it now, its amazingly good.
    Makes you wonder why a group of fanboys manages to make a game so good, when highly paid developers can only come up with that utter crap Neverwinter Nights......

14. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    The Might & Magic and Ultima series are fantastic as a whole, and IMO in both cases only #2 and #9 are tedious (well, Ultima 8 is quite bad too). Special mentions go to Ultima 1 and 4, and to M&M 1,3,5,6. There used to be an Ultima Collection CD with Ultima 1-8. As for M&M, there were 2 separate collections, one with MM1-5 and another with 6-8. These 3 collections are excellent if you can still find them (if you do, they'll be dirt cheap)

Wasteland is an excellent post-nuke RPG made by Interplay in the late 80's. It hasn't aged very well, but it's nice to see the predecessor to Fallout back in the days of 16 colours and PC-speaker.

FF7 is good, though I personally never got far into it because of the annoying contrast between the story (which is quite good) and the character design (they all look like kids). I got more easily into FF8, mainly because the characters actually look like adults. I really don't like the overemphasis on combat in either game (though it's still much better than in FF10)

15. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    BG1,
    NetHack,
    Oblivion,
    Not really a RPG, but Heroes of Might & Magic III,
    Waiting for NWN2, first one sucked, though.

16. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

BG Series
    Fallout
    PST
    MM Series
    IWD Series
    Daggerfall

17. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Might and magic 3.

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Planescape: Torment, Fallouts 1 & 2 (even tactics if you want... well... tactics).

19. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Baldurs Gate 2 - Shadows of Amn...first and best RPG I ever played. This is the game which got me to try out IWD2, IWD, Planescape Torment, Fallout, Fallout 2 and the rest of the genre...

Before that I was a FPS junkie... :D

20. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm thinking Ps:T, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, and the Geneforge series.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.