1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What's a RPG?

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Greystar, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Greystar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I honestly don't see how I can answer that question. But lets see, as there is no explanation of the question I'll take a guess that you do know its just that you felt like asking a stupid question. We are, after all, on a website dedicated to them.
    Its simple, Role playing game, a game where you play the role of someone else.

3. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

It's exactly like what it sounds like.

It's a Rocket Propelled Grenade.

Most grenades just have some explosives and a metal housing. Some use the metal housing for Shralpnel, so they are usually labelled "Anti-Personnel".

The RPG is a product of chemical engineering and machining precision. The explosive in the rpg is a "shaped charge", which really boils down to different "impurities" in the explosives. One part explodes slower than another part, and it varies from millimeter to millimeter as you look through the cross section of the charge.

Different detonation rates.

And, to top it all off, they slap a little tiny sliver of metal in the middle of the charge. It gets propelled at a TREMENDOUS velocity, which usually ends up penetrating the armour of the target. It provides so much pressure at the point of contract, that it liquifies the armour as it penetrates it.

Then the explosion rips open the tiny fissure, rather than just being deflected.

Actually, kind of nifty when you look at all the engineering and research that goes behind it all.

Hope that helped!

4. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

lol. now you know the rest of the story...

5. Nutrimat Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Theoretically, a RPG is any game where you play the role of someone else.

But, the common definition of a RPG is one where your character(s) has attributes (Strength, Dexterity, etc) or statistics (Hit points), and these stats and attributes increase as the character progresses through the game.

Beyond this, definitions get a little hazy. Most games that are considered RPGs have a combat system that is more tactical than arcade-ish.
    There are a few games (such as Diablo and Nox) that have a skill and attribute system, but with arcade like (meaning action-oriented) controls. There is some debate over whether these hybrids are "true" RPGs.

6. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] RPG - Role Playing Game

A game where you take the part of the protagonist in a character that isn't yourself and is customised by you. Often taking an impact on the game.

7. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I once heard a blonde think it was "Rams per gigabyte."

:lol:

That still cracks me up.

8. Greystar Gems: 7/31

OK, I mean Role-Playing game lol, but does anyone know its definition?

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Uh, you got about 5 of them just above... :hmm:

10. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Gosh!!!!!

Did ANYONE even notice my "Shralp-nel" or "Anti-Personnel" references?

What we have here is a failure to pay attention to detail...

11. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Here's a new one. What does NT mean? ie. like in the first post in this topic?

12. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

No text. I don't see it used here often, but I have seen it on other boards. The subject line contains the question.

13. Greystar Gems: 7/31

@ejsmith: you are talking about grenade :D

@Tal: they are good, but anyone know more about the detail? Thanks!

14. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31

15. Greystar Gems: 7/31

Thank a lot :)

----------------------------------------

I have a new question: is Final Fantasy series Action/Adventure RPG. Why or why not? Thank in advanced

[ November 08, 2002, 13:49: Message edited by: Pal ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.