1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What would you do if you only had a year left to live?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Not that this is a problem facing me currently, but a variation on a topic I saw on MSN. It was talking about saving for retirement as if you only had a year left until you retired. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I would quit work, sell my house and travel around the world for as long as I was physically able to do so. Once that was no longer possible I would probably move back in with my parents and spend my final days reading, watching tv/movies, and fooling around on my computer.

3. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Impossible to say. I'd want to see and experience as much as possible as well too, of course. But in the end it would be a matter of the disease / cause of death in question. I would not take a slow, painful death. So 2 options really.

1. I'd get myself killed one way or another.
    2. I'd be too weak to do that, and would go down slowly and suffering.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    For the sake of arguement, let's say that you retain all of your physical abilities until the day of your death. So 364 days from now, you're feeling fine, and 365 days from now, you're dead.

5. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Travel around, try out everyting and by everything I mean *everything*. Live a life of reckless abandon.

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Spend as much time with my kids as possible and get them ready for the inevitable.

7. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    365 days of sex, pizza, outdoor activities, gaming, catching up with old friends, making amends with former friends, saving stray animals, telling rude people they have no dicks, buying a crappy car and slamming by breaks in front of every speed-demon idiot driver I see on the freeway, and generally everything I hesitate to do in normal life for fear of consequence or embarassment.

Basically, I won't leave anything I've ever wanted to do undone.

Why am I wearing nothing but a cowboy hat and ski boots, eating onion rings and singing "Come On, Ilene" at the top of my lungs while sitting in a hot tub in the middle of the day? Because I only have 345 days left and a biiiiiiig list to cross off.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Get married?...

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, I'd pretty much go for the same as JSBB. Unfortunately, my office is such a mess, it would probably take me 11½ months to clean it up before I would feel comfortable turing it over to someone else. So that would leave me with about 2 weeks to spend somewhere exotic - maybe Minneapolis. :xx:

10. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Spend the time trying to cure myself from this terminal illness :p

Pretty much what Death Rabbit said, no fear of consequence. I'd probably kill a few bastards that I've had the 'pleasure' of meeting.

11. fade Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

To be quite honest, I would probaly live life much as I have. The only exception would be to drop out of college to save my parents the money, and get a part time job somewhere, to keep myself busy. Would probaly visit my friends here a lot, but I doubt I would travel much or do anything exotic, just because never have really felt the urge to.

Or I could spend my time playing comp games 24/7 :D

12. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

First I'd rob a bank. Then I'd have lots of fun sex, using the money to seduce beautiful single woman. And then I'd be a good boy and not do anything bad and live "the good life" untill I died! :p

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

1. This thread should have been in Whatnots.

2. Because I'd have had a fairly decent answer.

3. I dunno. I'd probably do stuff that's mostly fun. And have lots of really hot sex.

14. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Let me see. With all that time I would..

1. Beat the amount of posts that Chev has.

2. Die trying.

15. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Sex, drugs and rock n' roll. Great fun.

16. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

1) Pack up my kids and send them to their fathers for a while. Tell him I need to find myself before someone else does.
    2)Get a plane ticket that takes me to the middle of Europe. Spend several months learning what the real meaning of backpacking is.
    3)Go to Baker St in London. It's a Holmes thing.
    4)Spend two days in a cafe in France writing out everything I've ever wanted my two little girls to know or to remember about me. Give it to my mother when I get back.
    5)Come back to the States and make an educated attempt to find someone I've lost in the past.
    6) In the last month or so that I have left, gather my kids up and spend every day with them. Take them around with me. No work, nothing that takes me away from them.
    7) Give them back in the last week and do what the wizards of UU do... borrow lots of money, run up a bar tab and pick fights if I wanna.

17. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I'd insult every single one of the people I don't really really like.

I'd finish my book.

I'd hit someone up really badly.

I'd spend as much time as i could with my real friends.

I'd do a tour of the world and visit all the SP people.

I'd buy an excessive amount of expensive clothing, jewelery and high-tech stuff. And an Escalade.

I'd probably end up killing myself. I don't think I could stand the waiting.

18. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

1) Finish the BG series with a Bard.
    2) Go to California and just slack around for my remaining days.

19. Xei Win Toh Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I'd do everything to lose my virginity.

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You don't actually have to do EVERYTHING to lose it. Just one thing will do. Then you can't lose it anymore.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.