1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What will (or did) you get for Christmas this year?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Ragusa, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I got myself Lord Of The Rings Online, since I wanted to play an MMO but limit my expenditures; also some books (non political stuff for a change), and a good bottle of bourbon and scotch (i.e. two bottles :) ).

As for the things I will get, I'll probably get a new fountain pen, eventually replacing the one I got in 5th grade, and that, despite loving care, and hard use, has only now eventually broken down (I make my stuff last). It's that one here by the way - no frills, form and function in harmony:

[​IMG]

Now when I mentioned my prospective gift to a colleague yesterday he broke into a heated, five minute rant about how much fountain pens suck, and how unsuited they are for this and that, and that they smear and whatnot, and that my fountain pen is too expensive anyway (and that I probably paid too much), which left me baffled.

I'd have rather expected a socially determined response like: 'Hey, nice for you!' or, knowing this guy, something along the lines of 'My fountain pen is better than yours' (to which I would have then replied dead pan: 'And my fountain pen is bigger than yours' :p ) but not this ... Startling. Alas, he is naturally aggressive and generally ill tempered, so I guess he just couldn't get a hold of himself. You got to take people as they are.

2. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Me and the missus did our christmas yesterday as we're not sure if we'll get a chance to see eachother again before the day. I got Fable 3 (Collectors edition, comes in a big leather book, it's really nice), and a pacman t-shirt :D

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Being single at Christmas makes things a bit cheaper, which is one thing.

I always tell my parents not to bother getting me anything any more, but they insist. It sounds like they've got me a new 1TB external HDD, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, New Vegas, a new toolkit and God knows what else... they are silly.

As for what I've got... my sister, a new jumper she wanted... brother, a survival knife (because he fancies himself a Bear Grylls) a book and some choc... my mum, a cast iron chimenea... my dad, chocs, some real ales and some new socks... step brother, some jeans... my mum and dads foster kid, I got an R/C car and a box of chocs... think that's it.

Certainly cheaper than last year when I was with the recent ex!

4. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No idea what I'm getting. Well, the only thing I told my wife I wanted was a nice office chair (the cheap, old, beaten POS I have needs to go), so I'll likely get that.

No little kids in my family, so presents are sparse. But my wife (awesome as she is) got me both a PS3 and Wii for my birthday last year, so I've been waiting for a chance to respond in kind with something she really wants this year. So I got her an iPad. A splurge, to be sure, but it's probably the last Christmas where we'll spend more than a pittance on each other. I also got her a pillow with speakers built into it (she loves...LOVES...chick lit audio books).

It's funny - as I get older, I notice that I'm not excited anymore about what I'm getting, but rather excited to give my presents, to see the reaction. Isn't that weird?

5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

That is not weird at all. As for gift I receive, I'm at the age where I would rather buy my own gift than have someone buy me something. The reason behind this that I'm brutually honest with people and say it as it is. Last year I scolded my mother in-law for buying me a jacket. Every year she buys me 2-3 jackets. I told her no more jackets. My closest is filled with jackets with tags on them and I have a tote in my basement also filled with jackets with tags on them. I prefer to buy my own things because I'm picky and can be straight out rude. I told my wife this also and if she does me something, buy it from the list things I have mentioned or showed her that I wanted or ask for a list and only follow that list.

My wife on the other hand likes surprises and does not tell me or provide me any clues as to what she wants. So I have to make educated guesses. This year I know I screwed up on of her gifts, not on purpose though. I completely forgot how perfume causes her mirgranes; I bought her two high end perfurmes that will most likely be returned to the stores the day after Xmass and the funny thing is the perfurmes are the ones she use to use all the time.

The gift I hope she likes the most was the digital picture frame. She can only have one frame up at work; with that in mind she now can have a ton of photos with only one frame up at work. The big purchase for her this year was the DS along with all of the accessories, etc... I got that and two games for her that don't require another DS player to have the cartidage so she and my daughter can play the game against each other.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Rags - If you haven't gotten one already, here's a fountain pen for you. I'm partial to Waterman with a converter for bottled ink, and I've bought the Perspective as a gift in the recent past and liked how it looked.

7. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Well, I am still a young'n, so I am stoked to hopefully get a new video game or two and a ton of Magic: The Gathering cards. I love MTG.

I also asked for some clothes, because I seem to run out of boxers the quickest.

8. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I can mainly talk about what I got for others (well, I'll stick to the main things for my immediate family).
    -For my wife - a Wii. She's wanted one for a long time, and I got the anniversary edition which has her all time favorite game, Mario Brothers (she's not exactly a "sophisticated" gamer). Also got a couple of other games that she and the kids should like
    -For my older son, a Nintendo DSi XL, also an anniversary edition, which includes Mario Cart (Kart?) for only $10 USD more (usually $35). This will also be good for my wife. Picked up the Kung Zhu game, since my son seems to think it's awesome. Hamsters? Really?
    -My wife wanted to get my younger son a "little guy" console. Luckily for me we couldn't find any she liked still in stock, so we got him a few choice items (mostly toys).

-For myself, I'm expecting something along the lines of a brick to the head. Which I guess will be fine... put me out of my misery. :p

9. Ragusa

Media:
    BTA,
    nice pen, Waterman is well reputed, but those engravings - too flashy for my taste. I want a low key fountain pen. Plus, the one I chose is small. It's a travel pen i.e. closed it's not much longer than a cigarette.

10. Saber

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2010
  11. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    A few days ago I ordered a box of pilot v-ball pens. They may be cheap, but they write a lot smoother than ball or fountain pens that cost ten times as much!

@Saber. Dude. Letter types are *everything*. Personally, I'm a big fan of Helvetica and Monaco. :D

12. Ragusa

Media:
    Oh thank you, Saber :p I just like my writing tools simple. Form follows function. I am a 'Bauhäusler' at heart.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ballpoint granted, but nothing is smoother than a well-made fountain pen. :)

14. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    Flu, havent had christmas yet

15. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I think we need a pen discussion thread..

Anyway, I got a few move bits since I last psoted :)

Few bottles of beer, Dead Rising 2 on the 360, Family Guy season 9 on DVD, and Back to the Future trilogy on Bluray. Oh, and chocolate, everyone gets chocolate.

16. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

peronsally I got a brand new microsoft natural ergonomic keyboard 4000 and im loving it. we use to own a microsoft natural ergonomic pro. i got $100 from my grandma which is normal each year. got the first 3 harry potter books in hardcover sence i cant find my paperback and the have the rest of them in hardcover anyways so i figured i would finish the entire series off in hardcover. ill be using the money i got for a new mouse to go with this nice $60 keyboard.

17. Saber

Tons of Magic cards
    Clothing (new Fleece, new pajama pants, boxers)
    Three videogames (Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Vanquish, and NFS:HP)
    One of those electronic helicopters which is incredible addicting but has terrible battery life
    Small stuff for my apartment
    42" LED-LCD TV from my Dad

Big haul this year, unexpectedly. Both parents went all out for some reason, despite telling me they were cutting back this year. Oh well, I have plenty of things to keep me occupied!

18. Rahkir

Rahkir Cogito, ergo doleo

6x18 and 6x16 octobans
    17 inch zildjian crash (replacing one I recently cracked)
    A new tambourine
    Suikoden Tierkreis for the DS

Oh, and chocolate and peppermint sticks!

19. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Boxers and a mars bar.

20. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

My brother got me a photo he found in a photographer's gallery of Dublin street life. It's a crowd outside a pub during Guinness's 250th anniversary celebration. I'm dead centre of the photo looking out towards the camera! Very random, we had no idea there was a photo taken. A great find though.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.