1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What will happen to SP if AD&D CRPG's quit popping out?

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Kovalis Darkfire, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[The title] Not that they ever will, but I just can't help but wonder. :(

2. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I guess that people will stop posting in the gaming forums, and just stay to the miscellaneous forums.

If that happen, SP should then consider to put up some new forums...

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

We'll all just sit around and tell stories about "Remember back when we could pretend to kill red dragons, debate endless party and class configurations, and flame each other on politics and faith? Boy those were the days!" ;)

Seriously though, won't happen! D&D is here to stay! (until something better comes around!)

4. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

Hmm... ya I suppose yer pretty much right.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    To a certain extent, SP has an existence that goes beyond gaming; just look at the popularity of the Miscellaneous Forums. However, AD&D CRPG’s are what attract people in the first place, and I think you would see the community grow smaller over time, unless as Daephon said the site was expanded to include non-AD&D game forums.

However, the bigger (and scarier) question is how long will SP be around at all? Tal runs this site (with BTA's help), and he may not have the time or desire to do this for more than a couple of more years. So unless: a) someone else was willing to take on the huge responsibility of running the site, and b) Tal was willing to turn over the reigns, then eventually the site will likely die. Personally, if I were in Tal’s shoes, I would be very reluctant to give control of this site to someone else unless I was absolutely sure that the site would continue be run in the same professional manner as it is now, and for a long period of time. (How’s that for sucking up? :D )

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I really doubt Tal would just up and say. "Well *stretch* that was interesting, but I don't want to do this anymore. SP goes off line now....thanks for playing...buh-bye..." and takes the site down. Not after all the tireless hours he's put into it. In the event that he does get tired of running the site, I'm sure he'd sooner hand off the torch to a worthy SP vet with adequate SP presence, internet knowhow, server space and free time. And even then he'll pop in here and there just to keep us all in line. ;)

Make no mistake, boys and girls...Tal IS Sorcerer's Place. :thumb: No sucking up intended or implied.

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

He might not do the *yawn* thing, but he could look at empty pockets, relize that we're all a bunch of lazy hanger-on-ers, and think, "There are better uses for my money!"

Which reminds me ... go to Whatnots and give me some advice on my headphones or I won't dedicate a thing to the site when my windfall comes in! ;)

Heck, if the advice is good, I'll let Tal SP-ify the link and buy it through Amazon. :money: :D :money:

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Nah, I totally disagree. Tal will pass SP to his son and the son of his son and the son of the son of his son and the son of the son of the son of his son.

9. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I thought about that too. THE THE THE game was BG2. And the game which attracted the most attention was BG2. And the game which lead me here was BG2. Of course, I likes IWD-series too. I personally am quite happy with NWN, but the NWN-forums are compared to BG2/IWD2 ... ahm ... empty, even if I wished it wouldn't be this way. So, for NWN info, I go to other side, it's only because of my masochist-leaning to the alley I stay on.

Ahm, the point is. Yes,
    but I have the feeling, there is going to be a down-turn in the next 2 years or so. Or the other way around, when will the next ultimate game come out, which will attract much attention ? It may be, that the next 2 years only see mediocre games coming out. What will happen to the gaming forums, which in the end are the main point of this site ?

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

[​IMG] We'd turn to bashing America.

Oh, wait.

11. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If a really great game came out that was not AD&D CRPG maybe Val would let us have a forum for it. If the people who post here like the game and want one. Twoifs make a maybe?

12. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Sorcerer's Place would die, it may take take a while, but eventually, with no new material coming in, it would have to die. Either that or completly change its focus, which would be the same as dying.

Make no mistake, SP lives on D&D. Without D&D, it is nothing.

13. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Hardly. I have no great addiction to D&D, so if by some impossible chance D&D games stopped being made, I'd simply shift the coverage to other good CRPG titles. It'd hardly be the end of the world as some people here are trying to make it. :shake:

But for the next few years, there is no fear of D&D games running out. If Temple of Elemental Evil sells, Cain intends to do a whole series of D&D games after it (all remakes of older modules), then there will inevitably be NWN 2, its expansions, and NWN 3 etc. And I'm sure BIS also have at least one D&D game in the works they haven't announced yet...

14. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

*wonders why SP is based only on D&D games then*

*Thinks we have had this discussion before*

*Wonders what would happen if CRPGs in general disappeared*

*runs away from the scary questions*

15. Yerril Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Why, if there were no more D&D CRPGs?

God forbid, we might even start thinking negatively.

:rolleyes:

16. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I think I agree with Chev here... :D

17. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

LOL, amusing. But seriously, I don't think that SP will last that long :D

18. Kovalis Darkfire Gems: 13/31

I share agreements with Tal here. I think that if D&D or even crpgs in general disapeared, heck even if all games disapeard, which obviously they never will, we would find something to talk about and something to do here.

19. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    SP is based on D&D *NOW* because it started with coverage of D&D games, and because it aims to be the people's one-stop source for all D&D gaming.

20. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

So SP will be forever in some way. Heh. But no kidding, I want to see this go on for years. Heck, some of you people made me realize, what life is.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.