1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What To Play?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by sminnis, Sep 25, 2000.

1. sminnis Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

[​IMG] Dammit! I've been thinking about it for ages and I still can't make up my mind. Why class/kit will my main character play? Try as I might, I just can't decide between Monk, Kensai, Archer, or Skald. Is anyone playing any of those kits? Any words of advice? Somebody help me out, here! :confused:

2. Bhaal Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Playing an archer with maxed out bow mastery. Its not too hot in close combat but thats what the blockers/tanks called warriors are for. Ranged attacks are supreme and as long as no critter is on me the archer is the heart of the group bringing down critters faster than a warrior. You are restricted to leather armor and can only put two points in weapons with the exception of the bow but still no one can touch me when it comes to ranged attack. Also I use him as a scout and for a strange reason he can hide better than my thief.

3. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Kensai definitely sounds the coolest.

4. Kaenash Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

two schools of thought:

ONE: Play "you", your play style. For instance, if you tend to direct the battle, lay back and lob arrows, then BE an Archer.

If you are a gung ho click maniac, then go for a fighter.

Me, I typically roleplay like a bard, but halfway through chapter two, I realized I wasn't using his abilitys very well and had an abundance of MU's in the group. So he was armorless for no reason.

I started over with a fighter, and maxed out his specialization in long sword.

5. Kaenash Gems: 1/31

almost forgot,

TWO: Go for the best stat/combo thingy. I tried to anticipate my "final party" of 6 people. Then I Figured what would best compliment that?

At first, Ithought Bard, because it had 18 INT and 18 CHAR, was a decent fighter, and had a little bit of everything, plus nice LORE.

Well, then I realized that I would be better off with a combat heavy guy, it was just a matter of picking which. I would normally never go for a vanilla fighter, but it seemed to make sense in context of stat juggling. In addition, unlike a Kensai I can wear armour AND be a grand-master in a weapon, so thats pretty cool. Well worth it over the "Kai-shot" special.

So, you have to juggle your combat style/tactics. I tend to like to stand toe-to-toe and watch my guys, even my mage's whack it out.

6. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I just love to be a half-orc barbarian,
    because I can kick but like I never did before! :)
    In bg I was a fighter with 4 prof.slots in largeblades, but with a dualwielding half-orc barbarian with 19 strength (+7 to damage!) and with only 2 prof.slots in axe and scimitar I will do much more damage!
    And if those irritating vampires attack, I can go into a Rage, giving the protection of their energydrain.

7. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yup, I agree. My own Half-Orc Barbarian is taking a liking to me, being able to dish it out and get into the battle first, even if he's out numbered, I know he can hold his own until my mages start weaving their hands.

I'd love to be able to dual him to something, too bad you can't.

Syl...

8. Dak'kon Gems: 1/31

I hear that Monk are really good later on, they combine the best of a lot of classes. Me, I'm a Paladin at heart, so I'm a Cavalier, pretty cool too, can't wait for my Holy Avenger! :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.