1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What makes you feel proud of your country?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Master of Nuhn, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I was watching telly yesterday, National Geographic Channel, to be exact.

There was a lot of info about the Dutch Dykes and waterway system. Immens rotating dykes to keep the rivers open for ships. Inflatable dykes, also to keep the rivers open so the ships can get through, blocking the raising sealevel to prevent the surface from flooding.
    Floating houses and future plans for floating cities etc.

Dutchies have been dealing with the water for many centuries. 3/4 of the land is delta and below sealevel.
    It all gave me a warm feeling, kinda pride.

Now tell me, what has your country to offer?

EDIT: Sealevel is spelled with ea, not ee. :doh:

[ February 04, 2004, 15:59: Message edited by: Master of Nuhn ]

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Does that mean that the Netherlands will eventually be under water? What you have done is amazing, but do you think it might one day become too expensive to keep building bigger and stronger walls?

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Every country has lots and lots to be proud of, most of them also have lots and lots which they shouldnt be so proud of.

What makes me proud over Sweden is that with a population of less than nine million we manage to make our voice heard and be known mostly everywhere. We have top athletes who are among the best in the world in many different sports, we are the third biggest exporter of music (not that it is music I am overly proud of but still), we tend to have people in important positions in the international politics game and in general have a much louder voice in international politics than our size should account for. In general I am proud of Sweden's ability to uphold its interestests in way speaking of a size much larger than what it is.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Can you let us know who some of these famous Swedish sportspeople are (other than Bjorn Borg)? I'd be interested to know so I can look out for them in future when they're thrashing those Americans and Australians.

5. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yep. We are safe, yet. But with the sealevel rising, more and more rain and such we will loose this battle one time. Perhaps we should contact our Easter-neighbours, Germans, that we will invade their country in a few centuries. :evil:

Until then, I'll be proud. :D

6. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I suppose its Scotland's respected history, heritage and culture (even if it is somewhat suprising to see someone walking around the supermarket in a kilt).

BTW has anyone else realised how historically inaccurate Braveheart was?

7. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Agreed.

Filipino traits and accomplishments. There are few to name, but they're signifcant nonetheless.

EDIT: Ahhh... Finally found the word.

[ February 04, 2004, 16:46: Message edited by: Scythesong Immortal ]

8. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

I guess the vikings makes me most proud of being a Norwegian. Even though they weren't so nice after all, they resemble our history well methinks...
    The second thing would be that we kicked Germany's arse under the WWII :D

9. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    French fries, believe it or not, are actually Belgian.

*sniff* now THAT makes me proud. :D

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Daephon:

First, the Vikings were weaklings, and hey, that fits. :D I am a Swedish and we have a series by the famous writer Jan Gulileo (SP?) named "Arvet från Arn" (Heritage from Arn) where they in the last episode had some pretty enlightening info about the Vikings, and they were pussies.

Second, IIRC, the Norweigans got their arses kicked by the Germanians, otherwise we didn't had to worry about being the next target from the Third Reich.

On-Topic:

Lets see, what is it here in Sweden that is so good?

Could it be that we are too afraid to stand up for ourself?
    Nah!
    Could it be that we have a very corrupt goverment?
    Nah!
    Could it be that we send immigrants back to their home country where they can expect death and/or torture?
    Nah!

It just isn't enough things here in Sweden that I can be proud of.

Idiotiska skit-Sverige!!

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Harbourboy, in golf there is Annika Sorenstam, we still have some halfdecent tennisplayers like Jonas Björkman and Magnus Norman even if they havent graced the courts that much lately. We have a decent football team. Plenty of good hockey players. Kajsa Bergkvist and Stefan Holm are the best female and male highjumpers in the world. The best triple jumper in the world. We tend to be pretty good in all sports. Not on par with the US for example but that isnt so strange as the US is more than 30 times the size of Sweden.

12. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Master of Nuhn. In a few centuries your people will be quite welcome, cause by that time we will have dwindeled to a few dozen of millions. If we are still around at all. :(

What I like about my country is that most of the people living here have secure and prosperous lifes. All the technology and historical achivements are good and fine but most important to me is that I can leave my home without witnessing too much misery and find that all people are being taken care of.

13. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Proud of my country? I'm anything but proud of my country.

We were THE biggest slavetraders in colonial times. Our government prefers to buy a bunch of fighterjets for enough cash that could fix the healthcare problem our nation has. (and which is only getting worse) We write up laws, but don't implement them. And when we do, we don't stick to the punishments set for the violations. These are merely a few examples that disgust me, there's plenty more.

No. There's a lot of work to do before I'll feel proud of my country. Or humanity, for that sake.

14. The Kilted Crusader

@Velve: They only conquered half of western europe. Course they were pussies :rolleyes:

15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] @ Faragon

But dude...what about Amsterdam!? You guys have the envy of every frat boy and hippy on earth.

Hold your head high. /me salutes Faragon. :p

16. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

@Morningstar - Half of western Europe? I wouldn't count hit-and-run tactics as conquering, but that can just be me.

And they only attacked GB and the surrounding nations of the North, plus some went down to Italy and the like, but that was very irregular.

And for how long could they do the hit-and-run tactics? Well, until the enemy got horses, after that, they were sitting ducks.

17. The Kilted Crusader

They conquered Ireland, England, Normandy (the Invaders of 1066 were their descendants actually) and Scotland accepted them as their overlords.

Their hit-and-run tactics were just their technique used at sea transferred to land.

18. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

I am mostly proud for our ancient history. As for our modern history, even if it cnnot be compared with our ancient achievements, the two following quotes make feel proud, especially the second one since it was said by an enemy:

End of nationalistic rant.

19. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Canada's just the best thats all I know.

20. P4TRiQ Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Exatly Brother!! :evil: SVERIE SUGER!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.