1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is your opinion about Brits?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Avooch Dar, May 19, 2001.

1. Avooch Dar Guest

what do you americans think of the Brits.....i have just been told by someone that you think we are posh and pompous....please don't think this!

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I love Brits! Fun to hang out with, fun to drink with...Plus always always good for a scrap at football matches! (just kidding about this last part) ;)

Scotland is by far my favorite place in the UK! Actually, I'm leaving for the Colonial Highland Gathering in about an hour! It's a huge Scottish Festival we have near my house every year!

3. Elessar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I've never based my likes or dislikes on nationality or geography. I say much thanks are owed the Brits. Music: Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Animals, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Traffic, Kinks etc. And I think I can forgive you for Oasis :D . Hell, why would you think the Americans don't like you they've saved your ass on a couple of occasions ;) .

4. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

You forgot Queen! ;)

5. Avooch Dar Guest

oh really...i do have a lot of respet for the american people but you came into WW1 too late and then took the credit for winnig the war when we had actually won and then you only bother to help us in ww2 after the japs attack you! and yet again you take the credit for it! my grandfather's cousin was killed in the blitz in 1940 where were you then?!?

6. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I'm an American and here are the first three things that come into my mind when I read this topic:
    1)music
    2)cloudy skies
    3)Harry Potter
    I've not been there but hopefully someday.

7. Avooch Dar Guest

we are not good at many things as a country. We are rubbish at sport. Our army is crap and our economy is failing rapidly.
    but we do have two saving graces.
    1) we are very good at music and have turned out some of the best in the world. (beatles being the best overall)

2) We are the kings of comedy (monty python being the finest example). you yanks fing it especially funny because our dry sense of humour is in complete contrast to your culture.

8. Elessar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

"oh really...i do have a lot of respet for the american people but you came into WW1 too late and then took the credit for winnig the war when we had actually won and then you only bother to help us in ww2 after the japs attack you! and yet again you take the credit for it! my grandfather's cousin was killed in the blitz in 1940 where were you then?!?"

Do any of you Americans want to take this one? I am Canadian and my relatives fought in both wars with very little credit so I'm not about to get into it. I was just kidding around with you thus the: ;) . Don't get your knickers in a knot ;) .

9. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Not from America, but feel that a post here was needed anyway.

About WW2: Did you know that Norway lasted longer against the germans than France? (not sure if this has anything to say)

About Brittain: Your stinky coal plants makes our mountian waters acidic. The fish dies! But even if I generally think that non-norwegian countries suck, Brittain seems cool. They invented soccer, for Christ sake! Mr. Bean and Monty Python rox too.

[This message has been edited by Mollusken (edited May 20, 2001).]

10. Avooch Dar Guest

sorry man. nuff respect for the Canadian & Norweigan posse

[This message has been edited by Avooch Dar (edited May 20, 2001).]

11. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Alright, alright... having to come to the rescue of my feigned American pride, consider the following:

Until the first few years of the Cold War era, around the time of Churchil's Iron Curtain speech, America had primarily been isolationist. The Monroe Doctrine, the basis of early American foreign affairs, provided that the US would not tolerate European intervention into what America claimed to be its domain. Europe would have said the same if we had started galavanting around the Mediteranean with imperial ships and our navy, trying to colonize everything in sight. Teddy Roosevelt's corollary to the Monroe Doctrine, which upheld Europe's lack of intervention policy, added that the US had every right to do exactly what europe couldn't within "American" domain. When war erupted in Europe, it was not a World War. Speaking rationally, it was a trans-European war. What business did the United States have in involving itself in such a war? What reason did it have to do so? We had no ties, no bonds truly with European nations at the time, and whereas we did provide monetary support(WWI debts anyone?), we would have had a hard time (and did) justifying to the American people why their children were dying to protect a land thousands of miles away that they would never see. After WWI, president Woodrow Wilson first began to piece together a League of Nations, but it failed to get past the same aforementioned sentiments on isolation in the US congress and thus was not ratified. Once more, when WWII started, no bonds were formed between the US and Europe as a whole, so the US provided dollars instead of bullets. Call us cowards but we gave you something for nothing in a time of crisis. Those debts were never repaid by Europe.
    What I'm trying to get across is that the US probably takes most of the credit for winning WWII and slightly WWI because it feels that this is compensation for what it gave to protect foreign land. In terms of WWII, the US demolished Japan's naval force and flexed its power with atomic weapons, destroying the Pacific Axis. We provided a majority of the direly needed supplies that allowed the valiant Soviets to hold Moscow. In addition, our little bald man Ike commanded the greatest force ever to be held under one man, the Allied Expeditionary Force, the first ever multinational combination of army, navy, and air forces. His campaign strategies in Normandy and North Africa (including the defeat of Rommel) brought about the demise of Nazi Germany entirely.

Just don't knock us for helpin' you guys out. We didn't have to, we weren't obligated besides what we thought was the good of the world scene and democracy. We could just as easily have joined the Axis powers in seeking world domination. Think about it. The Axis would have won. :D

Amon-Ra

12. Avooch Dar Guest

i understand that you helped us and i acept the fact that we could not have won without you.
    Now i do not know that much about history but i am not sure that the american public would have been too happy about becoming Nazi. If Hitler had managed to take europe and russia (especially Britain) then he would have been unstoppable and you would have been attacked from both sides!

13. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

about WW2, thank Russia for being big and cold, thats what won it.

14. Avooch Dar Guest

have you seen the film Enemy at the Gates?

15. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

And we are all greatly thankful for your generous shipments of SPAM which stopped us all starving. To mark my appreciation of US help to my grandparents' generation I will spam these boards j/k

16. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Nope, I haven't seen it, but I want to, because it has no American soldiers in it and it is supposed to be good. (is that long enough?)

17. Avooch Dar Guest

lol!
    did they really send us spam. wow that is just too good to be true!
    Enemy at the Gates is the best cos it has mainly british cast apart from Ed Harris.
    it realy shows how cool the russians really were!

[This message has been edited by Avooch Dar (edited May 20, 2001).]

18. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

So, the intercontinental shitting match has finally arived on these board as well. I thought I left this behind me when I left Clubssi.com.

On behalf of Enemy at the Gates, well I for one don't intend to watch it. After seeing the trailer, where the germans made a low attitude bombing run on stalingrad, I saw how inaccurate this film is. No freaking german would ever be level bombing at an attitude of less the 5 km above the ground. If you made a run in the attitude seen in the trailer, you would be a smoking wreck in mere seconds.

19. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Amon Ra:

I believe Australia (under Brittain ;)) had an important position in the outtaking of Japan during WW2. USA ended it in a horrific way (need I say Hiroshima & Nagasaki?).

20. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    In hindsight...Letting loose the A-Bomb was a horrible thing. I remember reading at the time that they decided that was a better option than the 4 or 5 million casualties (on both sides) expected in a conventional amphibious assault and occupation.

So, did the end justify the means?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.