1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is the Friendzone? Does it really even exist?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Gaear, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    The 'friendzone' concept has been discussed in somewhat tongue-in-cheek fashion in the MUG lately. And it's a persistent topic in offices, bars, bedrooms, and all over the web.

So, what is the friendzone? No doubt you've all heard of it and have your own opinions.

IMO, it's a situation where person 1 (usually a male) wants a romantic relationship with person 2 (usually a female), but person 2 does not want a romantic relationship with person 1, although she may want a platonic friendship with him for various reasons. If this relationship persists unchanged, and if person 1 does provide friendship to person 2 without getting the romance he desires, person 1 has entered the dreaded friendzone. And yes, it does exist.

Why is the friendzone such a place of dread? Well first off, person 1 is not enjoying a fulfilling relationship. He craves romance but receives friendship. Person 2 however is getting exactly what she wants. She craves friendship and gets just that - usually in spades, because more often than not, person 1's unrequited desire for person 2 causes him to sacrifice his own well-being in the vain hope that someday he may advance to a higher romantic standing with person 2.

In fact, in person 1's pathetic and futile attempts to 'charm' person 2, he may go beyond the pale in providing for her in terms of services (not sexual services, but washing cars, running errands, doing laundry, etc.), consultation (confidante duty, comforter, etc.), and just general constant availability. This is not a symbiotic relationship, so it will drain person 1 of resources to person 2's benefit. This draining may be deliberate in the case of manipulative persons, or just circumstantial. Person 2 after all may not necessarily realize what's going on.

Why is escaping the friendzone such a vain hope? Because

[​IMG]

Person 1 has generally placed himself in a position of perceived low self esteem and little respect in having sacrificed his well-being for his beloved. (These impressions may not be overt; person 2 may simply form an 'icky' feeling over time with regard to person 1, but respect or the lack of it is at the heart of the feeling.)

Once person 1 loses person 2's respect, he is doomed. Forever. Respect is apparently an all or nothing proposition as far as relationships go. It's fleeting and irreplaceable, and once it goes, it's just plain gone. It's of course possible to regain respect in other aspects of life, but for some reason, when it comes to romance, this is apparently (and sadly) not so.

That's what I think anyway. ;) What about you?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think the other picture about friendzone level 99999999999 was better ;)

3. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I think you've covered pretty much everything. (Single) guys are rarely interested in women they find attractive just "to be friends" rather than having a sexual/romantic relationship. If a woman tells you bluntly that she just wants to be friends, it usually pretty much rules out the possibility of her ever considering you as anything else, at least in my experience. Most of us have probably been in a situation where we've futilely kept up hopes of moving out of the friend zone with a girl we've been madly in love with, but sooner or later everyone (or at least everyone sensible) sees that it's really just a one-way street going nowhere. You either click with a girl right away, or at least relatively fast, or not at all. Anything else is more the stuff of Hollywood productions than real life. I know a few guys who've been "friends" with girls they're more or less secretly in love with for years, still hoping that some day they'll see them for what they want to be... whereas in reality, everyone is making "puppy" jokes behind their backs and I doubt that the girls themselves see them as anything else but tagalongs either.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think refusing to enter the friendzone makes you more attractive, at least to some.

Like my GF for example. In the early days before we were together, she was used to the guys finding her attractive and doing little things she'd ask of them. So she once asked me if I would go down the hall and grab her a cookie. I told her that she's got working arms and legs; she can go get her own damned cookie.

Now that we've been together for a number years, whenever we talk about the early days before we got together, that episode seems the be the one she most vividly recalls :)

5. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I did it all for the nookie . . . so you can take your cookie and . . .

Well, you get the idea.

6. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    So BT, you are saying that you got your girlfriend because you wouldn't get her a cookie? Interesting technique, I guess I can see the logic in that in the beginning. I hope you go and get cookies for her now once in a while though :p.

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I think it surprised her and made me more interesting; I wasn't the typical pushover. ;) She still complains (jokingly) that I won't always just do what she says/wants.

You have to realize this was before we were romantically involved; at the time she was just another co-worker (or as I like to say cow-orker), and I'm not about to be some gofer for anyone :)

8. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Don't know first hand about the friendzone - if I love a woman, I will say it, and no matter the answer, the friendship will be over after that. Not that I will be angry with the person or anything, but since there's not so much reason to stay in contact, the contact usually withers away quite quickly. Unrequited love is such a waste of energy.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I sense a Splungism coming on...

:lol:

10. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    It's real...the zone that is.
    I was one of those fools that got trapped in there. But after a long time I managed to break free. Wiser, smarter...and less obtuse. In the end I go a better girl and won.

Don't wanna go into boring and heart breaking details....but played me well...she did.

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have on several occasions refused the friendzone, a woman I have been interested in really wants to be friends wants to hang out, do stuff, talk but every time I try to make into something more I get rebuffed. In those situation I "break up" with the woman, tell her how it is and that I am not interested in being just friends with her. I have friends, they have penises and share my interests. I am with a woman to get love and human closeness and if she isn't interested in that so be it. This happens way too often for comfort, I am not a good closer and several women have wept and cried claimed they don't want to lose me as a friend when I lay out my case. Why should I torture myself by being close to someone I am attracted to when she feels nothing for me?

Generally speaking it takes a very special person to be able to have real friends of the opposite gender. I think women in general delude themselves into thinking they have male friends, they don't. They have guys who either want to screw them or who find them unattractive but harmless.

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dammit, Tal, you ruined it! :grr:

So I guess I'll go with this instead:

And I bet you have lots of experience. :p

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I'd have more sympathy but the past year has pretty much demonstrated person 1 - whatever gender or sexual orientation - should grow a spine and stop mooning.

If someone enters a friendship with ulterior motives and expecting to get laid from it they pretty much don't deserve the friendship in the first place.

Silvery likes this.
  14. Taluntain

Media:
    Oh, I'm sure I'll have plenty more by the time I reach your advanced age, old man... :p

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Or gay. Gay men make great friends for women.

16. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    There have actually been studies that showed that generally a man-woman friendship tends not to be stable in the long term because men tend to become attracted to the woman and want more. Most of the time men are also very good in deluding themselves that anything a woman says or does is somehow a sign that she wants him.

I try to be somewhat aware of this, so I deliberately tell myself that whatever sign I think I'm picking up, it probably isn't really there. Makes it actually pretty easy to remain friends with women, in my experience. Frustrated a few women who actually wanted more, though. Luckily it's all a non-issue for me nowadays.

But in general, I'd say that the friendzone can only exist if person 1 permits it to exist. After all, all you have to do is admit that it's not going to work and walk away. I suppose that admitting is the hardest part, but it takes a special kind of blindness to keep running headlong into the wall without realising it's there, too.

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    WHAAAAT? What kind of man are you to believe friendzone is anything but a path to friends-with-benefits-zone?!?!? :p

18. henkie

Media:
    There is no spoon.

19. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Heya eight, haven't seen you around in a while.

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Certainly not in a friendzone relationship....

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.