1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What is beautiful?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I would like to know that you think is beautiful. I am looking for answers that have nothing to do with people, body images, or body parts - rather things that you find beautiful. Objects, places, mental states, sounds, basically anything that gives you pleasure and possibly inspires you.

I find a lot of things beautiful. The psychological impact of images has been a fascination for me for a long time. For the last few years I've have been particularly drawn to the beauty of ice. (Some of me previous posts have probably already hinted at that) One of my older brothers started the interest in ice when I was a kid and I watched him take thread and a spray bottle to a huge icicle that always grew off the corner of our house every winter. Several years later when I was living in the city I discovered a back alley that had a leaky drain that made a huge mound of ice. It was fascinating and I would visit that spot a few times a month just to see how the thing changed. Currently I build free form ice sculpture during the winter seasons. It actually gives me a reason to like something about cold weather and it indulges my need to make large sculptures so it serves a dual purpose.

Now tell me what you think is beautiful. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Silvery likes this.
  2. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Medieval manuscripts.
    A huge number of books (story wise).
    Old rose bushes.
    Ancient jewelry pieces.
    Certain pieces of laboratory glassware, and some reactions.
    Snowflakes on BoM.

Actually a surprising number of things, depending on the mood.

3. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Fallout 3 on my new rig with all settings set to ultra quality. :lol:

More seriously I'd have to say fire. I like flames in the hearth especially when it's cold outside.

4. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    Fire.
    Flower wallpapers (actual, not PC).
    Simple looking electric guitars.

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    My wife and the feminine figure in general

Early German architecture...From early examples like Worms Cathedral to more recent examples like Neuschwanstein Castle and Cologne Cathedral

A sunset at the beach

Lightning that arcs across the entire night sky

A perfectly restored 1960's VW 23-Window Deluxe Bus

The perfect headshot in any good FPS. :evil:

6. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Beauty is a person that is old enough to have there own perceptions of beauty but still has a mind that is open enough to ask this question!

It's the intelligence of a person who knows how stupid they are.

The feeling you get when you look at your child and think 'I made that'

It's a sight that will bring back a memory and a smell that brings back a feeling

It's being able to appreciate the ugly things because they let you know what beauty is

7. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Pain and pleasure. Mixed. Given, taken, with no ill will.

Near perfect moments, when the sights, sounds and scents mingle freely harmoniously, complementing each other.

Serendipity. Quite wonderful. Any time, anywhere.

Frost. Storms, oh yes, especially during winter.

Despair. Love.

Certain sound frequencies, harmonious singing.

Sunsets are bloody marvellous.

The smallest of details that go unnoticed for so many, and when you do manage to find them they spell the world to be a fantastic place that fills you with awe. These details can be anything, sun reflecting from snow or dust particles in the air, the scent of spring arriving when the snow starts to melt, bees humming, hoverflies tickling your toes in the summer...the list goes on and on...

8. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

"The smell of napalm in the morning"

9. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Nature (the natural world, untainted by human influence).

10. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Fire in a fire pit or fireplace

Sunsets

Northern Lights (don't see them often, but when we do, they're quite mesmerizing. And apparently they're even better further up north.)

The sky at night outside the city on a cloudless, moonless night.

Alphabet soup when it spells out "splunge is great". This happens with surprising frequency.

11. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    My penis.

8people likes this.
  12. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    ...aaaaaaand the tone is lowered. Chalk up another to the Barmy...

13. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    @ Barmy Army
    This is a quote from my opening statement on this thread
    Apparently you can't read. And believe it or not, when I wrote that part I was specifically thinking of you!

Anyway, all I can say is that if that is what you consider most beautiful, then enjoy yourself. No problem.

14. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

From Silvery-
    I have told so many people that (or similar) through the years, and am glad to have someone say it before me.

& From Iku-Tursu
    Was hoping someone would put a little emotion here before me. Emotion is beautiful to me, in a way that I don't think anyone can really explain to another.

In general people are beautiful to me-not their form, or even their personalities- but the variety that you get... The compatibility of some people, to the conflicting personalities of another, is just amazing to me.

Silvery likes this.
  15. Barmy Army

Media:
    It's my job to lower the tone. We all know that. It's something I have to live up to. It's not my fault if you take yourselves too serious. Have a laugh and a joke once in a while, you might enjoy it!

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you're asked - directly or indirectly - not to do it, then don't.

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    I'm not being funny... but why? If I ask someone to do something, likely they will tell me to balls! And rightfully so!

I didn't read the first post thoroughly, just skimmed it and got the general gist. I do that with most posts.

What I put was funny, I don't care what anyone says! If I wasn't here, I'd be missed. I am this forums most valued and important member, bar none.
    /me Puts trumpet away

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    If you want a comedy show, start your own thread, seriously. :rolleyes: Enough off-topicness here.

19. Barmy Army

Media:
    Sorry boss. Although it's a sad day when you can't have a laugh.

*Dons serious and grim face*

On topic... beautiful is when you wake up in the morning and think it's time to get up, then realise you're before your alarm and can relax in bed and fall back to sleep. That's always good. Also, a fresh cup of tea on a cold morning. That's about as deep as I'm willing to get.

20. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Theres a difference between what is actually funny, and what is just your typical same jokes that have lost all form of humour and are now just tired and annoying.

Anyway. I think looking out the window to a forest covered in a light frost is brilliant. Also, some cars are beautiful.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.