1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What good, free and easy-to-use firewalls are out there?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Bahir the Red, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I am in need of one, one that offers good protection and is easy to use. I am in no way cunning when it comes to computers, which seems to pose a problem with many firewalls. I want a feature which makes it easy to mark certain programs as "trusted", to allow them to both download and upload stuff without any problem.

I've tried:

Keriko (this one was good, but only a 30 day trial...)
    Jetico Personal Firewall (annoying popups very often)
    NetVeda Safety (couldn't quite figure this thing out)
    Norton (expensive and problematic(not that problematic though, but I had a certain issue with mine)
    Tiny Personal Firewall (tried this one yesterday. The computer I installed it on freezes everytime I boot up the computer. Have yet to solve this problem)
    ZoneAlarm (Looked like an incomplete package)

2. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

I'm using Norton Security Center on my main PC, and ZoneAlarm in the laptop. So far, I have only had gripes with ZA causing my laptop not to get an IP via DHCP from the router every now and again.

Regarding Norton, I spent about one hour configuring it to my needs just after installation, using pretty much any program I had that could access the internet so that it would add them to the "Allow List" automatically. I haven't had any issues yet.

3. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

It's the dreaded PEBKAC error!

You abandoned ZoneAlarm... because it looked like an incomplete package?

ZoneAlarm (the free version) is a bit bloated and very slow to start up, but it does the firewall part rather well.

Other than that I've used Sygate Personal Firewall and Kerio.

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I've been using the free version of ZoneAlarm for well over a year now, and I've never had a problem with it. :thumb: :rolling:

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

What are you talking about? It's the commercial version that is a big bag of bloat. ZA free is basically the stripped down, more efficient version of the same, doing nothing but what you want it to do: keeping the malware out.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I use Zone Alarm and my incidents of malicious attacks seems to have vanished since I started using it. Only problem I have (and I don't know if this is applicable to all firewalls) is that if I set it to maximum security, I sometimes lose my internet connection (something do with the ISP not being able to find my PC again if there is an interruption). So when that happens, I have to turn the security down for a moment, and then turn it back up again once the internet comes back up.

7. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I managed to fix the problem, and I uninstalled Tiny PF and installed ZoneAlarm. It seems kinda good actually, at least when it comes to allowing certain programs access to the network (unlike certain other firewalls that didn't do that even when you told them that they should). I hope it's good at intrusion blocking though...

8. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Intrusion blocking should be fine, in fact it is a bit too good as it sometimes blocks traffic that it should let through. Thankfully you can allow the traffic manually, eventhough the basic ZA does not allow much more control than on/off.

9. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Zone Alarm Pro is the worst rubbish I can think about - hell, I was so fed up of it that I deliberatly advanced time to end the trial period so I could roll back to the basic ZA. Never had any intrusion problems whatsoever with the free version of ZA. Since installation, it has blocked 1028 access attempts, 100 of them being high-rated.

Effective.

10. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I know the commercial version is much worse - but the free version still has bloat.

@DotW: My firewall has blocked 14239 intrusion attempts. I don't think any but high-rated say anything about it's effectiveness.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.