1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What do you think of my party?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Raist, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Raist Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I'm planning to form a party which consists of:
    Me (inquisitor)
    Viconia
    Mincs
    Jan
    Imoen
    Valighar

What do you think? Might there be a conflict amongst this group because of VIconia's allignment? What about the balance?? Any reply will be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Gonzago Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Just keep your reputation under 18 and you'll be fine. (Otherwise Viccy leaves the party.)

Welcome to the boards.

3. Raist Gems: 2/31

Thanks, what do you think about jan though, some people thinks he's really good but others think he's the worst NPC?? I have never used him as I have always used yoshimo till spellhold as my thief then i switched to imoen.

4. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

I've read (though not experienced) that Valygar can attack Viconia if she starts heckling him about him 'not liking women' and maybe 'prefer men'. In my game he just said leave me alone afther that.

Jan is brilliant - I especially found his detect illusion skill quite useful. A good thief and a good backup mage. You might be a little light on magic till you get Imoen though.

5. Raist Gems: 2/31

Yeah, I will probably get nalia for a temporary mage. I know she's not that great a mage (I'm using her in my current game) but i don't really want to get edwin yet (maybe in my next game and there is no other really good mage available.

6. Gonzago Gems: 14/31

Minsc + Edwin = Minced Edwin

Jan sucks rocks as a trap layer, otherwise a capable thief... also he's decent comic relief. Imoen, on the other hand, is an exceedingly poor thief, and not much of a mage either, really. (I usually SK her to a pure thief in spellhold, if I use her at all.)

edit: IIRC you can maze Minsc when he starts whaling on Eddie, and he'll calm down once he comes out of his maze..

[This message has been edited by Gonzago (edited April 20, 2002).]

7. Raist Gems: 2/31

So Gonzago, which mage should I get? Aeire, Imoen or.....?

8. Vukodlak Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Veteran

[​IMG] Actually Imoen is the second best mage (after Edwin) and the best good mage. As a thief she can detect traps adequatly and disarm/unlock most things in the game. In fact if it weren't for the fact that you get her late(-ish) in the game I think she would probably be one of the most powerful NPCs. Also as a dual class thief she can use short bows and wear both elven chain and robes.

9. Raist Gems: 2/31

that's what i think too. But at my current game I have given most of my scrols to nalia so she is currently my strongest mage now and I'm using imoen as my thief. Yoshimo is much much better than her though. I really missed him! And now i know what's going to happen to yoshi i'm just going to use jan instead.

10. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Try Anomen Delryn instead of Viccy, and try spelling their names right. Also Aerie would balance the party more than Jan. Elven stuff and the gloves o' pickpocketing would enhance Imoen bring her stats up higher, Jan isn't the best to have in a party, I use him purely for entertainment when I'm bored

[This message has been edited by 8people (edited April 20, 2002).]

11. Izaad Guest

Ok, now you can do all that, or you can KEEP Yoshimo.

Just Before going to Spell hold, take Yoshimo out of your party and leave him just inside of the Brynnlaw inn(monkey something?), and I mean RIGHT INSIDE, at the doorway or as close as possible! Proceed to Spell Hold, Imoen will suffice as a thief until you return, and afterwards, DON'T TAKE THE PORTAL OUT! Go back to Brynnlaw and enter the inn, ready to pause as soon as you get inside. (I usually pause the game outside, click on the door, click unpause and wait for them to go inside, this way you'll be ready to press pause when you're inside) Pause the instant you get inside, this will take a couple of tries, if it says that Yoshimo dies on the screen, you have to start over. If you successfully pause before he dies, tell your character to talk to him, unpause, get him back in your party, and ressurect him as neccessary. Don't become disheartened if you can't pause it quick enough, it took me a number of tries.

This may not be 'right' or 'fair' to the story, but if you love Yoshimo, then there is no other choice. I hope this helps :)

[This message has been edited by Izaad (edited April 20, 2002).]

12. Raist Gems: 2/31

Wow, i'll try that, thanks for the tips izaad!!!

13. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Aerie has a nice advantage for casting spells. She is both Cleric and Mage, so you can use her priest-spells and put them in a trigger...and she is the one who killed Kangaxx all by her self.

I like Jan. I love his nonsense. I dont use traps, so I dont mind Jan is rather a dummy at that. I use him for his thieving skills as lockpicker and traphunter....also for clearing out illusions. And he's a nice backup-mage.

14. Izaad Guest

Sure thing Raist,
    It really helped me because Yoshimo is the man, and I had done so many side quests that Imoen and Jan had no chance of catching up.

15. Volar Blackmane Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Editing Imoen to a thief, using bugs to get Yoshimo to your party after Spellhold, what next? :rolleyes:

Anyway, your party is otherwise fair, but I'd exchange Viconia to Anomen. He's a better fighter and his wisdom goes up later in the game. Besides, when you cast some of the powerful cleric spells which only affect evil targets, you don't need to watch out for your own people.

Jan is a good choice for a thief. He's the onlyone able to disarm traps and open locks without magic (after spellhold). Pickpocket is fairly useless and traps are toys for munchkins (sorry for people who use them well, but everyone I've hear of are "i put traps round the dragon and slept and put more and more and more and more traps and then talked to him and he died, i got lots of gold and experience" *moan*). He's a fair spellcaster too, and his comments are (mostly) hilarious. Have him talk with the new character (no-spoiler aura) in ToB.

I don't think any character is useless, though Aerie is a whiner and has probably the crappiest stats. Even Imoen shut up (thank the gods) after Irenicus's dungeon. There she was almost unbearable.

16. Gonzago Gems: 14/31

Look, if I want to edit Imoen to a thief, a fair, decent, non-cheating thief, (or, for that matter, an overpowered 25-in-all-stats half-orc barbarian with Horrid Wilting as an innate and wielding the killsword) then leave me be. As I've played this game as many times as I have, and have frankly grown tired of the same frickin' NPC's over and over again, in the same battles, with the same enemies, I like to spice things up a bit. The alternative is uninstalling and going back to free cell and minesweeper, the upside of which would be not having to hear people gripe about how I play my frickin' game.

K?

Incidentally, I've spent the better part of the day hunting for download-able NPC's that actually interact, and to date I've found two. There is an excellent spellcaster with npc interaction and romance (Tashia, female NG elven sorceress) that you can download through a link in the Solufain (sp.) romance pack here on SP. Not to mention Soulufain, of course, but I haven't taken my party as far as the Underdark.

At any rate, Tashia is definitely worth it. (Comes with some pretty spiffy gear as well. And man is she a cutie! :love:

17. Raist Gems: 2/31

hhm,, didn'T know that i can download NPCs too. I'll try that next time, I have't managed to check the sk i was afraid I would ruin my current game. ANyway, thanks for the tips!

18. Gonzago Gems: 14/31

If you're new to the game (and I don't know if you are or not), it's best not to mess around with SK yet, or any other cheat for that matter. And stay clear of the "walkthroughs, hints, and tips" section of SP. Better to discover these things yourself...the surprises are worth it.

I use these things (and nearly every other game-altering download I can get my hands on) because by now everything seems so...preordained.

Can't wait to get my hands on TDD, once they make it compatible with ToB...

19. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If you ask me, TDD will never be compatible with ToB.

I've already posted number of times that BGmain.exe for SoA and for ToB are two different things. The problem appeared when Bioware changed stuff in ToB's exe that was differently made for SoA. Because of that, nature and behavior of effects is totally different if you install ToB and it leads to more bugs when you play SoA part while ToB is installed.

For example, if you have ToB installed, in Ust Natha although you're invisible, you'll be spotted when you "deal" Dragon Eggs and whole city turns hostile which makes impossible to do the last quest for Phaere/Solaufein. This was result of Bioware's messing the code itself. And this doesn't happen if you don't have ToB installed.

If anyone from TeamBG is looking at this, my suggestion is: don't even try to make TDD compatible with ToB!

20. Gonzago Gems: 14/31

To which I reply: Try as hard as you possibly can to make TDD compatible with ToB!!! Please!!! Pretty Please!!!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.