1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

What did you do to remember 9/11?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Z-Layrex, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

[​IMG] What did everyone all around the world do today to remember the dead from the attacks on the United States?

The only thing my stupid school did today was to fly the British flag at half-mast. So me and some friends had a minutes silence.

What about you guys?

2. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Wow, Z. It's touching to think that a group of guys in England had a moment of silence for an attack on America. Thank you.

As for what I did today: I took my motorcycle to work so I can get out of town fast if I need to. I have been watching the MSNBC internet broadcast of their 9/11 coverage. There have been several moments of silence for NY, DC, and PA. And I wrote a long screed about what I remember from last year at http://www.jamiedmcdonald.com/blogger.html

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Not much have been done here in Norway. Nothing was done at my school, and my friends and I haven't even mentioned it the whole day. It's just another normal day to me right now. Maybe I'll watch a documentary about it on TV tonight, but I have an awful lot of homework.

4. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Solving problems with Enzymatic catalysts, from 8 morning to now. Yes my life at university is dull :1eye:

5. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

A lot of public places, shopping centres and the like observed a minute's silence at 1.46pm today in the UK.

There have also been memorial services including a major one in St Paul's Cathedral with lots of dignitaries etc.

BBC also broadcast most of the main services from the US - New York and Washington at least.

I'm not sure about the rest of Europe, but Brits were the second largest number of people killed in the attacks, so perhaps it is not so surprising that it has been marked perhaps more here.

6. Astra Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I'm in AFROTC uniform all day and there will be a retreat ceremony in the university commons this afternoon.

The flag is also flying at half-mast. I wasn't sure whether the school would do that or not, wasn't expecting it when I saw it. It hit me a lot harder than I ever thought it would.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Absolutely nothing :grin: :shake: . It's not like I don't care about those people but people die all the time some are just unfortunate to die in such circumstances. But as far as I'm concerned you people can wipe each other out and I still won't do nothing but take a minute of silence. As long as Slovenia survives I'll won't even bother to lift a finger. But if somehow my country is hurt in all this than it becomes personal :flaming: :borg: :flaming: . (I can't believe we have no graemlin soldier :toofar: )

8. Damona Silvercloud Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Everytime I leave my house, I get to see the busted out teeth of a skyline that I thought would be eternal.

I've spent today in sort of a funk, refusing to turn on the TV or radio. I don't need stupid memorial services, pins, ribbons, red white and blue paper plates, cheesy advertising slots of dedication, moments of silence, bands playing, flag waving to help me remember. It's still as fresh in my mind today as it was a year ago.

I have permenant mental pictures of the whole ugly thing unfolding. I turned on my TV 6 minutes after the initial crash. I thought I was watching a repeat of the first plane crashing. Turns out it was the second one. Burned into my psyche forever will be the live footage of seeing all the people leap. I will never have to "try" to remember sitting at the foot of my bed, holding my son's face to my chest so he didn't see the repeating over and over constant scenes of death.

Nothing will let me forget the tears and the frantic phone calls being made, to check to see if everyone was alright. Friends making deliveries in that area, my brother in law calling out sick that day (43rd floor First Tower), Roberta's husband who is a systems guy at the Pentagon, neighbor Joe who was a Con-Ed electrician working in the Trade Center. All fine. I don't need to try to remember the relief I felt upon learning that all my friends and loved ones were safe.

That is to say nothing of the utter hopeless sadness I feel for those that I didn't know, that didn't make it, every time I think about it, or turn my eyes over there and pause to reflect.

The acrid dusty ozone smell that filled my lungs every day until around December sometime is still with me as well. I have never smelled anything like it, and I never will again, I hope. It, for me is the defining smell of death. Things like this I try to forget.

Standing on the waterfront, gazing at the impossibly huge pillar of smoke rising from my beloved skyline while fighters circled overhead, drowning out an impromptu group prayer from on September 12th.

All these things and so many more details are indelibly tattooed into my mind.

No. I don't need to do anything to remember.

9. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] We had a minutes silence through the whole school and the flag half-mast

10. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

We are all pacifists right???
    Well i like swinging swords around and archery for some time but i wouldnt like war :toofar: = no internet :eek: :eek:

Most of the politicians are just big kids who dont know what RTS are and then they just want to play it real world ;)

11. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I like war. Before gun powder was invented that is. I was trained in dual wielding (swords of course), using a staff and firing a bow. Not of much use they are now but still...

12. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

Gothmog, what are you talking about?...

Shralp: It was a whole 5 mins if that's any better ;)

Keneth, you're telling me you felt NOTHING? Just because it was in another country?... Bah, i'll keep my thaughts to myself :toofar:

13. Gothmog

I meant politicians are overgrown kids who would LOVE to play strategic games if they had the chance :p Now that they dont know what that is they play a "strategic game" in real world.
    Very much like Republic: The revolution = game where you are one in russia and trying to get to power

14. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Like I said
    Do you have any idea how many of my own family and friends have I already lost? You don't do you. So don't talk like I should feel something special. I doubt other people would feel anything over me if I died there.
    and that's a fact that is actually true.

15. Gothmog

I wonder why you didnt already make suicide if you are such a pesimist :rolleyes:

16. Z-Layrex Gems: 21/31

No, no one other than your family and friends wil give a damn when you die. But, when thousands die from a terrorist attack, it's a reason to remember them. People jumping from god knows how high, to their deaths, just to get away from the heat. Two absoloutley huge towers just crumbling. More buildings around it collapsing. The people in the planes. The people in the pentagon. :mad: How can you not even bother to do a minutes silence.

17. Veldrin

Veldrin We'll ride the spiral to the end Veteran

At my school, we all had a big flag ceremony, some poems were read, national anthem, some speeches from a few people, and moment of silence.

18. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I observed the silence and I respect the tragedy - I have offered my sympathies to those involved and those in my class who have lost to the event though I feel guilty that I don't feel anything about it

Not feeling anything may seem heartless to you but coming from someone who doesn't feel much it is only expected - sorry if I offend, but I respect the incident and those caught and that is all I can do

19. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    As easy as goblin pie :D .

20. Gothmog

I dont think that is such a big deal.
    If same number of people would die somewhere in Africa NO ONE would matter about that ;)
    But to be hit in the heart of civilization makes some difference even if only a small number of people die(comparing to car crashes, alchocol poisons, suicides,...)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.