1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Whaling

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Aikanaro, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

This is kinda political as well, I suppose - but as equally just about whaling in general.

Quick summary of the situation: A fleet (7, I think) of whaling ships from Japan are in a whale sanctuary around Antarctica, and is been harassed by three protesting ships - two Greenpeace and one from the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. Recently the Farley Mowat (of Sea Shepherd) rammed one of the whaling ships (Greenpeace did so a few weeks ago as well).

Here's a summary of what laws the Japanese are breaking:

It also isn't illegal for the protesters to be doing what they're doing:

Okay, that's probably enough background. For starters, I would just like to say that the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society should invest in some torpedoes. I have no sympathy for any whalers in this case - they're killing members of an endangered highly intelligent species in an incredibly painful way - and if someone wanted to blow their ships up, I could only applaud.

Second - the Australian government is filled with a bunch of hypocritical cowards who, because of free trade negotiations, don't dare to do anything - and instead *condemn* the ones who are actually out there doing what they should be. It's pathetic - they're essentially supporting the Japanese whaling, and were even going to allow one of their ships to dock in Hobart at one point and leave freely (though managed to avoid that bit of embarrassment...).

Then look at how the government treats illegal Indonesian fishermen fishing in Australian waters - they sink their ships, ffs. Consider that these Indonesian people are poor (well, I presume, seeing it's Indonesia...) and that the same can't be said of the Japanese ... height of hypocrisy.

Whaling is crap, the Australian government is crap. Here's to hoping that the protesters can do some serious damage.

(Quotes are taken from http://www.seashepherd.org/ )

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Agreed. Someone lacks balls.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Where is CAPT Kirk when you need him.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I agree that breaking international laws is crap, and that the Australian governemtn leaves a lot to be desired in its response. However, I entirely disagree that vandalism against PRIVATE PROPERTY is a valid response on the part of the protestors, no matter how "noble" their intentions may be.

This brings to mind the terroristic tactics that ELF uses against loggers.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I have to agree with Rallymama -- while whales are important, ramming the fishing vessels and endangering human lives is not justified.

Also, I'm curious to know if this IWC has the authority to dictate the behaviour of the Japanese nation. If the Japanese are violating Australian territory, that's one thing, but if they are not, I'd like to learn a bit more about the full legal authority of the IWC.

In any event, whaling may be horrible and all that, but people do need to eat, and as I have mentioned before, a country with a population the size of Japan's crammed into such a small space cannot afford to overlook any possible source of food. Admittedly, though, there are a lot of other food sources for humans to use.

6. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

My sentiment exactly. I have nothing more to say to whaling.

Blow them up.

7. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

If you can justify blowing up fishermen to save a whale...you should be able to justify gunning down an abortion doctor to save a baby.

Consistency, people.

Ramming boats and other forms of vandalism discredit the protestors...making them less likely to gain the support of governmental powers...leading directly to the death of more whales.

Sometimes you have to play smarter than harder.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

But what can you do when the whaling nations blatantly ignore any of the agreements made in the International Whaling Commission? This whole whaling thing makes me so mad.

Give me a break! I don't think Japan and Norway would starve if they couldn't eat a few whales. They only hunt them for dubious 'cultural' reasons. It's right up there with those idiots who eat rhinoceros horns and ground up tiger bones.

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

A valid point...almost. Whaling is illegal, abortions aren't. And humanity is hardly an endangered species at a population of several billion.
    Damn right. :thumb:

10. Dendri Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hack, vandalism? What about the killing of animals that inspire awe in most of us? That's beyond vandalism.

People are literally sick of what is going on. No one cries too hard when protestors interfere with whaling. No one even comes up with the notion of vandalism in that case, cause they detest what they see.
    But to get real, you are right, of course.

11. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Has anyone spent the time to see if Japan is a part of this International Whaling Commission? I'm guessing they are not so they aren't breaking any laws. Remember, there is no such thing as "international law". There are treaties that multiple nations have signed to agree upon, but if you don't sign the treaty, you aren't obligated to follow it.

Without a doubt Greenpeace and this other group are in the wrong. It wouldn't surprise me if the Japanase sue them and win in court for damages. They might actually be subject to "international law" for they may be comitting acts of piracy (which I'm guessing most nations have signed treaties to prohibit). Next thing you know the Japanese Navy may be well within treaty guidlines to blow them out of the water.

12. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Someone should deploy a submarine and blow these Japanese scumbags out of the water.

13. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    No blood for whales. No blood for whales.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's all such a crock. Japan is part of the IWC and continues to claim that their whaling is necessary for 'scientific' purposes. How many whales do you really need to dissect? They don't even have the decency to admit that they are doing it for culinary reasons.

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Would you support these tactics if it was a government taking action?

As far as I can see - if you don't mind the idea of the government giving, say, car chases against criminals - this really isn't much of a step up from that. It's even less dangerous - and there are no innocent civilians who might get in the way.

Apples and oranges. A foetus can be viewed from a number of different angles - from a parasitic bunch of cells to a baby - and there is room for debate there. Killing whales is far, far more black and white than that.

As it is they stand no chance of gaining support from governmental powers because the governments who could do something have an interest in not doing it. Just letting them keep whaling without harrassment isn't going to help at all. If the Australian government was serious about the IWC they'd have a warship down there and be applauding the efforts of Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd, who are enforcing the laws that they're currently not.

That's the thing however - Japan is part of the IWC. They've been pushing for allowing commerical whaling for a long time now - and are also suspected of vote buying from smaller nations who've joined.

If the protesters are commiting piracy - Japan is poaching. They've also attacked Greenpeace protesters with poles and water cannons.

It would be interesting to see what happens if they do send their navy down however - let's see how pathetically gutless the Australian government can be in letting foreign warships go into Australian territory in support of whalers...

16. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I think the point Hack makes is valid, but limited.

Japan has been skirting the International agreements on whaling for many years, using various specious excuses, such as: the economy of a small village depended on ornaments made of whale bone. "Scientific research" is merely the latest. The real question here is how to enforce international agreements that are generally supported by world opinion when the governments that subscribe to them refuse to do so. It could be argued that Greenpeace is only attempting to enforce the law, to make a "citizen's arrest".

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.