1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weather Changes, Natural or Unnatural?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Rotku, May 3, 2003.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Well let me explain what i mean. The easyiest way would probably be by explaining what i mean by the weather changes.
    Where i live the typical weather in the different seasons are as followed:
    Summer- generally fine weather. Temp usually between 20 and 25 C. Not much wind.

Autum- still fine weather. Over cast queit often. Tepm between 15 - 22 degrees C

Winter - A lot of rain. a few fine days. NO SNOW EVER and tepm usually around 16 but never dropping below 5

Spring - Strong winds, fine weather, temp almost the same as in summer

Well thats the typical weather around where i live and now i'll tell you about some of the "strange" weather which we've had resently.

1999 - We had snow!!! Never before in recorded histroy has this happened

2002 - 2003 We had no winter at all. This summer which had just past we had no rain at all and still haven't seen any rain at all. No wind what so ever and in New Zealand Wellington (where i live) is known as windy wellington, so as you can see by the name its usually pritty windy.

So what i want to know is what people think about this. Have humans done this? or Would this have even if humans weren't on this planet?
    or Do you think that humans have mearly speed up a natrual process? Or is this a stupid topic which i shouldn't continue to go on about?

[ May 03, 2003, 05:18: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Are we humans no longer part of nature??

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Did i ever say humans weren't natral?

4. Mesmero

Mesmero How'd an old elf get the blues?

You look at three years and claim the weather has changed. It might just as well be coincedence that the weather was a bit odd in those three years. If you want to claim that the weather has changed, take a look at the bigger picture, compare the weather from now with that a hundred years ago.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Yes, by questioning if humans caused the changes in the world or if it is a nature thing

6. Rotku

Silverblade, The nearest mountain to me, 100 years ago right through the year would be completly covered in snow. Now a days we would be luckey to get 1 week worth of good snow right up the top of the bloody mountain.
    But if you do look at a bigger picture, you can't say that the world isn't heating up, the water levels rising etc etc.
    @Morgoth
    Would you say a nuclear bomb is natral?
    I know for sure i wouldn't.
    What i'm trying to say is that what humans have done certainly isn't natraul. Global warming, pollution and many more things certainly are not natral things.

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

100 years is still a too short period to claim the weather has changed permanently. From my point of view, things would have been abnormal if the temperature and weather stayed exactly the same for thousands and thousands of years. It varies all the time, and it is very likely that we have nothing to do with it. But of course, we're not completely sure on that and should still take our precautions.

8. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Here in Greece we should have about 25 C but right now it's 38 C :eek: :melting because of the heat: (this should happen only in mid-August and now it's spring).
    2002-2003 is always raining as if we were in England(that's a good thing because 2000-2001 we were short of water because of the heat(42C in July 2001 :jawdrop: )).
    It SNOWED three weeks ago(completely unnatural). We hardly had any snow in the city where I live in (actually it snowed three times but never laid even a thin layer of snow) while in other areas the lowest height of snow was about 2 meters.
    The temperature in winter was below 0 C reaching -5 C(never happened before in Thessaloniki).
    So are all these "coincidences" or natural? No, I don't think so. We, humans, are responsible for these problems. That's my opinion.

9. Iago Gems: 24/31

It's fact that the climate is changing. How much is "natural" and "unnatural" is antother question. I personally say a lot is "unnatural".

Here, glaciers are melting away. In recorded history, alpne glaciers were never so small.

The snowline is getting higher and higher. And are tourism industry is worried. Until the 1960s the big seas were usally frozen and save to walk. Traditional crossing of the frozen sea has become impossible lately. I never had a chance to do it. Now, every year there's a big discussion, will the seas be this year frozen enough to walk on them ?

10. Rotku

@Mallusken
    the weather has been changeing for much more than 100 years. As Yago pointed out with the glaciers melting, this has certainly been happening more than 100 years. It takes 1000's of years for such a great mass of ice to melt, not just a mear 100.

11. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Well then, ruler of the universe. You've just said that humans haven't done anything with the rising temperatures then, since we have been polluting only for the last 100-150 years ;) .

12. Rotku

No Mollusken, your twisting my words.
    Not once there did i say that humans have had nothing to do with the rising temperture. I said that it has been happening more than 100 years, yes before humans started polluting, but i still think that humans have speed up a natraul rise in temp. to a completly unnatraul speed.

13. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Might be a good time to invest in a houseboat.

14. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

What's unnatural? Mother nature itself is capable of changing the climate much faster or even completely destroy it much faster than we could ever hope to do.

15. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Examples of that mollusken please!

16. Rotku

Might be a while yet, aye Rastilin.

17. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

In Athens Greece we never and i mean never had so harsh changes of the weather as these last three years. We had all four seasons respectively meaning that spring was spring summer was summer winter was winter autumn was autumn. Now we have only two seasons harsh winter and summer nothing more the other two are gone these last three years.
    I think that this is pretty unnatural and yes it is our fault i believe. :(

18. Volsung Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Exactly, here we have two seasos: harsh winters and HOT summers. :(

19. Rotku

[​IMG] Well Mithrantir, I agree with you, these harsh conditions that are now spread right over the planet are caused by human. COMPLETLY UNNATURAL if you ask me.

How many other people think this is so?

20. rastilin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Some scientists have theorized that it's about time for another ice age, in that case it would explain the differences in temperature.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.