1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weasel Speak: The Corporate Politics of Language

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Chandos the Red, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    What a great term for this annoying abuse that has wreaked havoc on the English language (and I'm sure some others). But this is such a great read because it touches on a lot of areas in contemporary society:

But that's just the beginning. This is a great point that needs to been opened to a larger public debate:

Does anyone else here agree with Watson? I certainly do. He follows up with these observations:

IMO, he is right on target with this line of thinking, and his observation of how corporate America has polluted not only language but our personal lives as well. Take a look at this:

But this one is not only funny but ominous:

It makes you wonder what kind of people think this junk up. Regardless, this book by Watson makes me so happy. It's about time someone is making this a serious issue.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8514826/site/newsweek/
    Amen.

[ July 18, 2005, 05:56: Message edited by: Chandos the Red ]

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

I hear you. Personally, I am breathlessly awaiting the return of telepathy; perfect understanding of all ideas that one would wish to share.

3. ClarkNova Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I certainly agree corporate speech is jarring, even if slightly amusing. As far as destroying the English language though, I think your average video game / maxim type magazine is on equal footing. Call me a prude, but reading video game magazines as of late sets my teeth on edge just as much as sitting through a business meeting does.

I am off topic though - I do agree with your post.

4. Yirimyah Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

This, the corruption of the language, is why I try not to abbreviate my speech when I say things.

Well, that, and the fact that I almost got banned for leet when I was new here.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

The “return” of telepathy? I guess I must have missed it when it came out last time.

And Chandos, I think IS a curmudgeonly cry for old-fashioned English. There’s no shame in being curmudgeonly. Curmudgeons of the world unite!

How about this so-called “summary” from a report I am reading at work right now:

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

LMFAO. I can just see that. "Congradulations Mr. and Mrs. Smith, you've just given birth to a Consumer..."

But to reduce that which is human to something that's quick, simple and rapid fire can cause a loss of meaning.

Don't get me wrong, Power point and Weasel Speak have their place, but when over used, they lose their impact. While it is important to learn Power Point, it can't come at the expense of the "Queen's English." Likewise, Street Slang is simply the current dialect of an area, but basic English cannot totally be wiped out...

7. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

@Harbourboy:
    I figure that's how the human race survived before language. Once the population started going up, the constant clamor of thoughts would have been too much for their minds to handle, so they just closed off that part of their brains. Without telepathy, they would have had to develop another form of communication, and so language was born. But that's just my pet theory. :D

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    At my grocery, there are small carts for the kids. They all have flags that say "Customer In Training."

Start 'em young... :(

9. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

US Army Customer Evaluation:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for choosing US Army for your adversary needs. For more than 200 years, the US Army has provided unsurpassed adversarial services throughout the world. Whether you are a minor insurgency or the armed forces of a large, technologically advanced country, we think you will find the US Army to be a worthy adversary for all occasions. We think you'll agree that our philosophy of Value-Added Destruction (VAD) will make your war or police action an event to remember!

Our #1 concern is customer satisfaction. In order to better serve you, we would appreciate your feedback. Please take the time to accurately complete this evaluation. (Please rate the following by choosing the value that best describes your experience: 1 = Very Poor, 2 = Poor, 3 = Average, 4 = Good, 5 = Excellent, 6 = N/A)

Coordinating Your Event

Helpfulness of staff in arranging event:
    Matériel selection:
    Pricing:
    Killing procedure:

Presentation

Timeliness of delivery & set up:
    Appearance and presentation of munitions:
    Quality of kills:
    Quantity:
    Shock & awe:

Event Staff

Appearance of staff:
    Attitude & attentiveness of staff at event:

Please include additional comments you feel may help us ensure customer satisfaction in future events, or speak to one of our friendly customer representatives at Gitmo Bay. Thank you for your time!

10. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    I believe the word you´re looking for is "produced", not "given birth to"... :D

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    With an organic factory, no less. Now that's technological innovation!

12. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Yes, that's better...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.