1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapons that give one extra attack

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ragusa, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Undertaking extensive research about extremely powerful items in BG-2 SoA I found a few weapons that give extra attacks (sounds way better than just mentioning that I just stumbled over it). Most of them are well known, but I think I found another one.

The three everyone knows:
    -Belm, scimitar +2, one extra attack
    -Light crossbow of speed, one extra attack
    -Bow of the Tuigan, 3 attacks per round

The new member of the family is:
    -Kundane, Shortsword +2, one extra attack (though it isn't mentioned in the description it gives my lvl-10 halfling kensai 3 attacks compared to 2 with an ordinary shortsword :) )

Are there any other weapons of this kind ?

(the gauntlets that can be found in ToB *do not* belong to this list)

2. Mirkwood Guest

There's this thing (pity it's only usable by monks)...

WANINJA - Scarlet Ninja-To +3

Ninja-To of the Scarlet Brotherhood
    When a member of the Scarlet Brotherhood kills one of that organization's
    'great enemies', they are often rewarded with this sword. How this sword
    made its way from the world of Greyhawk (where the Brotherhood is based) to
    Faerun is a mystery. When unsheathed the ninja-to will glow blood red.

STATISTICS

Equipped Ability: one extra attack per round
    Combat Ability: Poison damage of 6 hit-points per round, for two rounds, if
    target fails a saving throw versus poison
    THAC0: +3 bonus
    Damage: 1D8 +3
    Damage type: slashing
    Weight: 2
    Speed Factor: 1
    Proficiency Type: Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninja-To
    Type: 1-handed
    Requires: 6 Strength
    Usable By:
    Monks

3. wittynewt Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hi,

What a funny concidence, I posted about Kudanes short sword on the TOB forum on 2nd November in reply to the extra attacks note.....

Was your extensive research to read the TOB forum?

Cheers,

WittyNewt

[This message has been edited by wittynewt (edited November 03, 2001).]

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] WANINJA???!!!!!!!!

Excuse me. I've never found such item. So I got hex editor in hands and...

I nearly destroyed my BG2 files in searching for such item and I assure you it doesn't exist in SoA.
    So, STOP LYING!!!

5. wittynewt Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Hi,

Poor spelling on my part, Kundanes short sword, found on a female thrall in planar prison.

My eleven fighter/thief decided to use it as a dual wield with the blade of roses a few days ago and I noticed he was hitting a bit more often than he should be. A quick bit of experimentation confirmed the extra attack. I posted about it on the TOB forum on 2nd Nov in reply to the amount of attacks thread. I do have TOB installed so maybe it is a TOB addition? which is why you didn't know about it?

I have never knowingly lied on a newsgroup.
    Why do you have to be so abrasive?

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

Description:

Kundane +2: Sword of Quickness

Disfigured as a child, Dramnek Olk was ostracized and ridiculed by his peers. In his loneliness he spent many hours alone on the hills overlooking Trademeet. A nearby wizard, Galloma discovered the youth and found in him a kindred soul. The two fast became friends; master and apprentice. Galloma died before Dramnek's tutorage could be completed however and the youth found himself once more alone in the world. Eventually he made his way to the streets of Athkatla. There he became a cutpurse, augmenting his thieving skills with the little magic he'd learned from Galloma. Eventually he crafted this sword, which enhanced Dramnek's weak physical body. This weapon has no speed factor.

STATISTICS:

THACO: +2 bonus
    Damage: 1D6 +2
    Damage type: piercing
    Weight: 2
    Speed Factor: 0
    Proficiency Type: Short Sword
    Type: 1-handed
    Requires: 5 Strength
    Not Usable By:
    Druid
    Cleric
    Mage

6. Mirkwood Guest

[​IMG] I think he was refering to me.

That's a real bad attitude you got there buddy, go smoke some of your mum's hash and mellow out. If you had any idea about the game you would realise the Scarlet Ninja-To is available through the Icewind Dale add-on merchant.

7. wittynewt Gems: 7/31

Oops,

my mistake, still, in defence of mirkwood, take it easy.

Cheers,

WittyNewt.

8. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Extensive reserach ... :D .... no I did *not* read the ToB topic (the ToB forum was stone dead the last days so I mainly ignored it ... ) about amount of attacks. I just noticed it when I equipped it on my halfling kensai just after I found it in planar prison. I found him suddenly to have an extraordinary number of attacks for a lvl-10 char so I cross-checked with other shortswords - Kundane was one attack better. That's the "extensive research" ;) :p Deeply impressed by my discovery I posted this thread (well, I was a bit bored too).
    Sorry to disappoint you WittyNewt :D

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited November 04, 2001).]

9. Archer14 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Where do you find Kundane anyway?

[This message has been edited by Archer14 (edited November 04, 2001).]

10. Ragusa

Media:
    Planar prison (Her'Dalis quest). It's on the guy who also has the gauntlets of weapon skill, locally close to the wyvern place.

11. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Hehe Mirkwood, you'll have to excuse him, he doesn't do the bonus merchant thing. There's nothing wrong with that, but the "abrasiveness" could be toned down a notch.

Ehh what am I talking about, that's impossible for E! :p

12. wittynewt Gems: 7/31

[​IMG] Hi,

Ragusa, no problem, something about great minds thinking .... comes to mind

Cheers,

WittyNewt

13. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

Extremist; the Scarlet Ninja-To would be one of the wares peddled by Joluv the merchant from Icewind Dale found in the Copper Coronet upon application of the Bonus Merchants patch.

EDIT: Arse; somebody already said that. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited November 04, 2001).]

14. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] ALL RIGHT!!!

What happened to nice custom to type the source of the weapon if it isn't legally obtainable in the game unless additions are installed?

If you spot this week's poll results you'll see that I am not the only one who plays core games - without additions.

[EDIT]
    So what if it is not 3rd party addition? I still can't buy that weapon in my game. Nor ever will. And players who won't install it like me and read it would say: "how stupid of me I never found that item". Are those players stupid, or the post that has all details except the main: how to get that item in the first place?

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited November 04, 2001).]

15. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] It's an official addition Extremist, not a third party hack. There is a difference!

16. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Looking at Belm and Kundane I found it interesting to investigate wether it is useful to dualwield both weapons for maximum number of attacks or not.

The answer is a clear depends on :D

Basically a fighter has 2 melee attacks in BG-2 SoA right from the start and at lvl-13 he gains another, 3rd, melee attack per round. When dualwielding the fighter receives an extra attack for his second weapon.
    So the idea was to dualwield Kundane and Belm to achieve a final rate of 6 ( *!* ) attacks per round unhasted (3x base attacks + 1x 2nd weapon attack + 2x item-attacks).

This, however, is impossible since the game cuts off the 6th attack - the maximum absolute number of attacks is 5x. You can only overcome this restriction using feats like whirlwind attack or spells.

So, for a fighter (maybe a ranger or a kensai), dualwielding Belm and Kundane only makes sense below lvl-13. At lvl-13 they have: 3x base-attack + 1x 2nd-weapon-attack + 1x item-attack. With achieving this level there is no longer a benefit from the extra attacks, so better weapons could and should be used.

The combination of Belm & Kundane however, is still quite interesting for a non-fighter-character - especially a blade or a swashbuckler:
    With four attacks (1x base-attack + 1x for 2nd-weapon-attack + 2x item-attack) per round they could have a good stand in battle even vs tanks (however, due to their bad AC this should be only carefully used)

[Just imagine what could theoretically be possible with a lvl-30+ fighter with grandmastery in both weapons :D would BG-2 SoA implement the extra attack here ;) :
    8 attacks unhasted (3x base-attack + 1x 2nd-weapon-attack + 2x grandmastery-bonus-attack + 2x item-attack) ... maybe a little bit *too* powerful ... or even unballancing ?! ;) ]

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited November 05, 2001).]

17. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] If you don't have the bonus merchants Extremist, then what do you do with all the money you find in the game???

18. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Considering the high prices my rep-7 evil kensai has to pay at the shops (and temples) I really doubt that the money has only been implemented to pay the bonus merchants :D

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited November 05, 2001).]

19. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Wow. Might even be worth sticking with +2 weapons for ;).

20. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

One thing doh. When I play with one weapon it sais 3 attacks, with two weapons (both maces) it sais 4. Does this mean shield is a better option to my fighter?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.