1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weapon you would like to see

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Gilden, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Gilden Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Is there a weapon you would particularly like to see in the game that isn't there ?

For me the greatest missing weapon is a throwing hammer that non-dwarven clerics can use.

Some missile weapons (like hammers and axes) add strength bonuses when thrown. This is what makes the dwarven thrower (hammer), Hangard's axe and Azuredge (axe) so valuable. If only there was something I could give to a strong human PC cleric, or Viconia if she has the strength gauntlets or belt.

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    I'd like to see more shortbows and crossbows earlier in the game. The best shortbow in SoA is the Shortbow of Geesen, which you can't until late in the game.

Also, I'd like to see a 'Sword of Devine Intervention' which would have a few "charges" and when uesed, would take 99.9% of the weilders current HP, and knocks them unconsious, but insta-kills whatever you need to kill. Kind along the lines of what happens in the Elven city during the fight between the elf and the demon.

"<insert god's name here> take (most of) my life and grant me victory!" :rolling:

3. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

A sling with more than one shot per round. I always have too many bullets lying around... and it would give the Sling of Everard +5 a run for its money.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

^Gee I would like more spiffy maces or clubs for cleric usage. What about the weapons of deities? 'Lathander's Ever Renewing Mace+3' or 'Talos's Most Destructive Rage Mace+3' that can only be used by clerics of appropriate alignment? Or a 'Moonhand' mace for Selune? (I would LOVE that)
    The magical maces in the game have very limited use IMHO. There is actually one good club and Jaheira takes it early. And I am bored to take that mace which gives 18STR always? (Sorry but most names escape me now)

5. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

Any spear that's actually worth using would be a bonus. And a two-handed axe! They made IWD, why were they overlooked in BG2?

Other than that, all the weapon classes have some powerful options, so there's not too much to change. Weimer's Under-represented Items Mod made some of these changes, though, although no-one's made a mod to tone down some of the more overpowered or unbalanced items.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^That mod is well enough but it sells UBER weapons for low prices which can be considered a bİt unbalanced, but adds good maces, spears, daggers, staves that were lacking.

OFCOURSE, item upgrae is BEST item mode ever! It is both fun to try different recipes (and collect lots of mundane and/or special things) and rewarding when you manage to improve one already good item into UBERNESS. TRY IT OUT!

7. grillen Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

whips would be cool and other missle weapons like a boomarang

8. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I would like to see a variety of weapons of +2 and +3 that have special abilities. More hammers, axes, spears, clubs, maces, flails, etc... I believe they over kill some of the swords power in BG2. One sword that comes to mind is the CF.

I would also like to see more rings of various types, more usable bows, crossbows, arrow types, etc...

More armors that allow a F/M or a Bard the ability to cast spells, etc...

A wider variety of shields with special abilities.

Helmets. Can't get enough of them.

9. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Aka 44, Not even Irenicus could hold that! :D

[ September 12, 2005, 15:50: Message edited by: Ofelix ]

10. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

A particural katana, Masamune, something like Katana+6 with some special abilities.
    Now, that would be cool :cool:

11. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Especially the sword/whips, the warriors in India and Iran used to use :eek:

12. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Silverknight wrote:
    'More armors that allow a F/M or a Bard the ability to cast spells, etc... '

Actually there is Song and Silence mod that enables a COOL BEYOND WORDS merchant to sell good Bardic Armor. (one can be used by F/Ms or C/Ms as well)

Goli Ironhead wrote:
    'A particural katana, Masamune, something like Katana+6 with some special abilities.'

The Shanchuudoku ofered by Tactics mode (and a DIFFICULT encounter) is just a +4 katana, but beats all +6s for its special abilities. Tried it?

13. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

Silverstar,

Most of the armor that Bards, F/M, C/M or T/M can wear from mods or even in BG2 tend to be over powered. I would like to see some general armor such as Studded Leather or a rule which states that if you wear armor you can only cast certain spells, such as defensive / offensive spells.

Personal I would like to see this..

Leather Armor AC 8
    Magic User Leather Armor AC9

Studded Leather Armor AC 7
    Magic User Studded Leather AC 8

Ring / Chain Mail AC 5
    Magic User Chain Mail AC 6 (Bard, F/M & C/M only)

Plate Mail AC 3
    Magic User Plate Mail AC 4 (F/M and C/M only)

This armor would cost 3 times as much as the normal armor and would allow for more movement than the typical armor would allow and would have some restriction when you reach plate mail. For instance with Plate Mail armor you cannot cast spells of 4th level or higher, etc...

Once you add magical enchantment you could say for each +1 it adds a spell level but not armor protection.

Of course my example above have a lower AC than their normal counterpart due to the fact that the armor is special made for a mage type class that needs movement and that is why the AC is one higher.

14. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

@Silver Knight:
    :whoa: :thumb: :thumb: Exceptionally well thought out! I especially like the spell level restriction. So, M Plate Mail +5 would still have AC4, but you'd be able to cast 9th level spells in it? I need more info, stat! :bigeyes:

15. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

Felinoid,

This is my thought. These armors provide a lower protection because the mage needs to move around and that cause the AC to be higher either due to minor pieces of the armor being taken off for better movement.

Mage Leather Armor AC 9 would allow you to cast all spells up to 8th level. When you find Mage Magical Leather Armor the first +1 will allow you to cast all level spells and each additional +1 will lower the armors AC.

Mage Studded Leather Armor AC 8 would allow you to cast all spells up to 7th level. When you find Mage Magical Studded Leather Armor the first +1 will allow you to cast 8th level spells and +2 for 9th level spells; each additional +1 will lower the armors AC.

Mage Hide Armor AC 7 would allow a mage to cast up to 6th level spells. Mage Magical Hide Armor the first three +3 allow the mage to cast his higher level spells and each additional +1 will add to the protection of the armor.

Mage Chain/Ring Mail Armor AC 6 would allow a mage to cast up to 6th level spells. Mage Magical Hide Armor the first three +4 allow the mage to cast his higher level spells and each additional +1 will add to the protection of the armor.

Mage Plate Mail Armor AC 4 would allow a mage to cast up to 6th level spells. Mage Magical Plate Armor requires a +5 enchantment for the Mage to cast his/her level 9 spells.

Now there could be some cool additional abilities provided by the armor. For instance you could have Mage Plate Mail Armor of Quickness +2. This armor was worn by the quickest of all mages. His ability to launch a magical attacks at his enemies is known throughout the land. This armor would reduce the casting time by 2 and provide the basic armor characters and protection/higher casting levels, etc...

Or you could have a one that provides some type of protection from Fire, Electrical, etc... Just like most armors.

Now imagine in the beginning of BG1 and actually being a elf F/M and having your AC lower by 2 points when you wear the Mage Studded Leather Armor. Of course that is where a majority of the funds would go since the armor of this type would cost close to 100 gold pieces.

16. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Shouldn't there be a bigger difference in armor class between the fighter/mage armor and the normal armor, maybe two points instead of one? The way it looks now, there's not much of a disadvantage to wearing the fighter/mage armor.

This is just a nitpick, though, I like the idea.

17. Abdel - Bhaal Spawn Gems: 13/31

Western Paladin I thought about make it two lower but than leather armor would give no protection that is why it is only one lower. And if you go through my list you will see there is a restriction (reduction in the spell level you can cast) which hinder a mage using Mage Plate Mail.

Here is athought on a form of armor of a pure Mage. Leather robes. You have two types. The pure leather robe which offers the same protection as regular leather armor but you cannot cast spells greater than level 5 and a robe that has leather strips running through it that provide a +1 to AC and you can only cast spells up to leve 6. These robes function like the Mage Armors when magically enchanted. This would allow a Mage some form of protection early on in the game when higher level spells are not need. These robes would cost between 50 and 150 golds.

18. kuemper Gems: 31/31

A bane weapon for the ranger classes.

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

More cool morning stars. One of the best things about NWN is the great animation on a swinging morning star on a chain. Morning stars should rock because they should do both bludgeoning and piercing damage (but in theory should be fairly difficult to wield properly without whacking yourself in the face, or having the chain wrap around your arm).

20. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Some spears that would actually be worth the while...

Also some decent daggers. Imo daggers are more of an assasins tool than any of the other weapons, and a dager alá the short sword of backstabbing, with maybe some psn dmg too would be neat.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.