1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Weakening of Organic Food laws

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Cúchulainn, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG]
    From redjellyfish.com

Well I thought something like that would fall under 'false advertising' (a term I am used to as I work for an outsourcing company).

Does anyone care? I hope so...

2. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Why not take the label organic off it and just call it crap food..

One of the more absurd ideas I've heard I prefer organic food it tastes better and is on the whole better for you. As a former chemist/biochemist/haematologist I hate chemicals in general never mind added to my food.

I hope it doesn't make it through congress

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I always thought that the term "organic" meant different things depending on what food item it is being applied to.

In the case of vegetables, I thought it meant that there were no pesticides or non-natural fertilizers used on the plants.

For meat products, I thought it meant that the animals were not fed hormones and steroids to increase muscle mass.

Ini the case of a packaged food (which is pretty much all Kraft makes), I don't see how the term "organic" even applies.

It also depends on what they mean by "synthetic" too. If the synthetic substance is, for example, food coloring, to make the appearance of the food more appealing, I don't see why that would be a problem. We've used food coloring for years (Easter eggs anyone?), and it has proven to be safe for human consumption. (OK, maybe the Easter egg example was a poor one, as you don't eat the shells.)

My point is, that they would have to delineate what synthetic substances they want to be able to use. If it is all synthetic substances, then the term "organic" becomes meaningless, as everything has to be either organic or synthetic, so if you're allow to use any synthetic substance you want and still be able to label the food as "organic", then everything can be labelled organic.

4. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Safe for human consumption?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3742423.stm

and er... Sudan 1. I'm sure there was another one banned when I was a kid. Sunset yellow? or is that opne that survived.

Though I agree, I don't see how anything synthetic can be described as organic.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I should have said "most" food coloring. I think the other one you may be thinking about was "Red 40". That, as the name impies, is a red dye, that was banned back in the 70s. It's also the principle reason that M&Ms stopped producing red M&Ms for a period of several years. Although they were not using that particular food coloring, they thought that many would assume they were, so there were no red M&Ms for a period of many years.

6. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I really hate the way that people have used organic to mean the definitions as described by Aldeth. Organic means that it is from a living organism thus any plant/animal/fungus etc. would be organic - so unless you are talking about eating rocks or sand you are pretty much guaranteed that your food is organic.

7. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

As the son of a trained physical, organic and inorganic chemist, I always had a different view of what "organic" meant as well. Dad still laughs whenever he sees some product promoted as "organic" when it physically can't be. My personal favourite is "organic water".

Back on-topic... what about naturally-occurring substances mass-produced synthetically (for instance, by mimicking the natural production or by different chemical processes)? Not being a chemist myself, I guess there may be subtle differences between the two, but how could law-makers reasonably differentiate or discriminate between two substances which had identical properties and could be generated naturally or artificially?

I've always taken the position that "organic", in this sense, means food items grown with a minimum of chemical use (some is almost always necessary) and without the use of genetic modification technologies. Thankfully, I live within walking distance of Melbourne's biggest open-air market and can get fresh produce all the time; the whole "organic" thing doesn't really mean much to me.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a good approach to have to food (limiting pesticide usage or hormonal manipulation, meaning you eat better quality food), but one which has been hijacked somewhat for marketing purposes.

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Lighten up, many words have multiple meanings (e.g., "rose"), and many others taken on additional or altered meanings as a result of cultural usage (e.g., "gay"). Why should "organic" be linguistically sacrosanct?

I, too, would have a hard time accepting artificial ingredients as acceptable in organic foods. Fortunately, there are state-level agencies with stricter guidelines that are actually setting the standard for what can or cannot bear the term "organic". As long as those organizations don't give in to the lobbyists, the real result should be small.

The easy way out, of course, is to spend your grocery dollars on whole foods or ingredients and do your own cooking. It's hard to sneak anything to an apple.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, I am a chemist and CAN answer this question. If it is synthetically produced to have the same exact chemical structure as the original, there will be no differences - even subtle between the two substances. Furthermore, even using technologies much as mass spectroscopy to give you a blueprint of the molecular structure won't do you much good either, as they would be identical in every way. On the other hand, if the synthetically produced item is not identical to the original, but only very similar, then yes, there will be subtle differences. Even if these differences are not directly observable by the human senses, we have instruments that could differentiate between the two.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.