1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Watchers Keep and chickening out

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Trunculo, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Trunculo Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Possible Spoiler Alert...
    Ok - I made it to the Yakman level of WK. My four man party (Sorcerer, Minsc, Jaheira, Jan) is relatively low level (10-11) and not particularly melee intensive. Those "dead magic" areas really take the wind out of my team's sails. Are there any negative ramifications of my leaving for a while? I'm thinking of just strolling out until my dudes are more like level 15-16 (after underdark) but is that going to cause problems getting back in?

On a related topic, for you folks that have finished that level - are you killing everything in sight or (like me) running like a bad monkey from one room to the next and hoping the demons don't follow. Yakman indicated that killing the demons isn't wise as they repopulate. Any thoughts here?

2. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

To answer some of your questions, if you read Yakman's journal, it says run, yeah well, you can run but I dont like leaving places with enemies still alive...

what you could actually do is let the Tanaari kill 2 of those demons before stepping in.. kill that 3rd fire breathing demon before taking out the tanaari.. thats if you want to clean out the place.. and no, they dont spawn back... only when you take part in the Blood War do they spawn back...

3. DemoGorgon Guest

wow dude, you are pretty low leveled. i dont think it matter though, it changes due to level right?

4. Trunculo Gems: 5/31

I've heard that it does adjust difficulty based on your level and this is probably true, but in each of my couple dozen attempts to get through here, I've gotten absolutely Rodney Kinged.

On the couple of occasions I actually made it through that room (screaming "Not in the face!" all the way through), I only did so by sprinting ASAP for the Southern portal - no fighting at all.

Then I did the succubus thing (smooch smooch) and it seemed to not impact me badly (amulet from Aran L that resists level drain), and took out the dude with the Deck o' Many Things (and his friends). Unfortunately I only had the rod and one of the gems. Hrm - looks like that some fights are needed after all.

If it won't mess the area up, I guess I'll just pick up from one of my saves (prior to starting that particular level of WK) and go away for a *long* time. We'll see how those dudes like a planetar or two.

5. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

I almost want to say that WK Lvl 4 is not as hard as Lvl 3. Although parts of Lvl 5 are definately the hardest, seeing as how they are the last things seperating you from the Imprisoned One. Well the point is Lvl 3 is hard and the only thing I like about it are those Corugons or whatever they are called when the "spit" out the fire. If you catch them doing this at the right angle it looks as if they are peeing out the fire. A bit of humor in a dismal level.
    Well I opted to come back later and didn't run, plus I wasn't going to let some Succubus smooch on me. But if you insist on doing WK now, then here are where the other two sceptor gems are...SPOILER....

-one is on the demon that talks to you in the first main fight (the one that directly proceeds the room with the rock formation and the dead magic.) Try to kill him loot and run, ha easier said then done
    -the other is on a demon knight who has a lot of mists or something like that as helpers (past the Succubi, don't take the kiss)
    -You can get the hearts of two of the demons you kill although I never found the significance of this
    Good Luck, you're gonna need it...

6. Trunculo Gems: 5/31

Lol - thanks! You mean I have to pass on the succubus smooch to finish this level? Bummer!

Well, Jaheira had better put out pretty soon - that's all I have to say. :)

7. Lord Praetor Munir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

no.. you can choose to kill them... itll prove quite a challenge coz they can all cast direcharm.. and that many direcharms... you're bound to fail a few saves... then u got trouble.. heheh

8. Trunculo Gems: 5/31

I suppose I'll have to disect them - seems like a waste of a perfectly good hottie though - but this won't be until *much* later in the game with my new dual R/C.

Posible minor SPOILER alert...
    For the heck of it, I took him and his team there first thing out of the city to loot the first level and was gently urged by the knights out there to go away and return when I have a bit more experience. Everyone's a critic - sheesh! :)

9. DemoGorgon Guest

What i dont get is why do you start watcher's keep at the top? How do they even gut up there? Why not just start at the bottom?

10. Gunthar Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

The doors to the bottom levels that are outside are warded so you can only get in throught the rooftop which is accessable by a large staircase.

11. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Plus starting at the top and working your way down gives you the sensation of descending into the depths...

I mean imagine WK upside down and you had to work your way up, kinda silly huh?

12. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Personally, and mind you I don't know how much some of the fights on level five scale due to exp, I'd suggest coming back later. If you do, you'll kill more, getting more experience, and have in general a better feeling about yourself for taking everything the keep had to offer and spitting it back at it :D. Besides, those last fights before entering to the imprisoned one were VERY tough for me, one for me personally being harder than the Imprisoned one himself. Anyway, me feelings: wait till later, at least until after the Underdark, possibly until you start the expansion.

13. Gnolyn Lochbreaker Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I definitely agree with Crawl -- come back when your party is higher level. I'd say at least average of level 15 or 16 to take on those wonderful little demons. High-level spells are a must. And you'll certainly enjoy it more. It really does have a lot of good stuff, which you'd probably miss by running through too many encounters (although, I was tempted a few times).

I wonder though...it doesn't make sense to me that encounters would be scaled down for a lower party level. I can see making something more challenging for a higher level party, but what's the point of making a dragon or demon or other high-level creatures *easier*. Aren't they supposed to be a challenge, even for high-level parties? (My party got it's but whooped a couple of times in WK, and the lowest level is a 21st mage).

14. Gaelan Bayle Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Speak me language! Coo! Chicken ares ya? I got just the antidote. Coo! Me Cloak of Bravery helps ye! Coo! How's ya like it. Too big? I thoughts ye was a chicken!

15. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Gaelan, stop with the spam already. You just registered today, and if you keep this up (especially spamming the same silly into speach into several forums), someone is going to get really pissed. The mods and site owner don't like spam, even if some folks want to defend it by saying you're roleplaying. I personally don't care (even though the word Coo! is starting to make me sick), but I'm just warning you. Go read the FAQ again before Tal says something: http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/faq.html#rules

16. Enthasius Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

This topic comes down to two possibilities, you can run all of the time, gaining little exp, and ending up unscathed but unpowerful.

Or you can fight, get all the exp, get powerful, kick arse, but risk some major injuries, or perhaps even a bloody death.
    I choose the latter. :D (especially with Minsc on my side.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.