1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

War on Iraq

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Charlie, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I thought about posting this on the other threads but I felt that it might be off topic. My question is: Would the US be as aggressive towards Iraq if Iraq had the same military capability as the US? I mean, the US and its allies are counting on a short war with minimal casualties especially on their side. But what if Saddam could SURELY inflict massive damage? Would the US go after say Britain, if for argument's sake, it was like Iraq?

I got these thoughts after reading comments on the other threads that the US only does what it wants because it is a superpower. Would it go after states like Iraq whether or not they can actually fight back or not?

I hope you got the point of my question.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I doubt America would go after anything too big. Methinks they prefer the short, simple and less bloody war to fighting hand to hand every step of the way.
    So in answer to your question, probably not.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The stronger your adversary is, the more risky it is to confront them, and so the less likely that is the route one would choose.

It depends on the risk of doing nothing vs. the risk of confrontation. vs. the risk of persuasion.

So, if Iraq was as powerful as the US, I'd say the US would not be agressive at all unless the stakes were extremely high.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Of course things would be different. The Cold War was not that long ago. The Soviet Union was, arguably, the equal of the US from a military standpoint (no splitting hairs on the fact that their bombs wouldn't work as well and their technology was questionable -- if you have enough armament to effectively get rid of the human race, that's enough in my book). In that case, the two countries fought wars by proxy in other countries. The war was also much more extensive, fought with political influence, economic means and, despite the vast fears of just about eveyone, was not particulary likely to result in global nuclear war.

Here, Iraq has no comparable military might, so the US imposes its will on Iraq and is only restrained by the political pull of other countries, ostensibly through the UN. The economic sanctions have dragged on, and the US is flexing its political muscle to see if it would be a political disaster to have a war in Iraq. That's what this is really all about, not Iraq in and of itself, but what political and economic fallout will result if the US bucks the other countries that don't want an active conflict.

5. Charlie Gems: 14/31

BTA,

Wouldn't the stakes be higher if the rogue state were much stronger? The threat would be greater.

dmc,

That's an interesting take on the matter. I don't think that point has been brought up before.

[ February 27, 2003, 18:12: Message edited by: Charlie ]

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    What I mean by stakes is what you stand to gain through agression vs. what you stand to lose through nonagression.

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    N.Korea is a lot tougher fish to fry than Iraq, therefore the is the risk for military conflict alot lesser there. The US would win without a question but the cost would be huge and the risk of nukes in S.Korea and Japan is not very appealing.

8. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

According to the director of the CIA, who testified before Congress a couple of weeks ago, we don't just have to worry about nukes hitting S. Korea and Japan. He testified that North Korea has sufficient ballistic technology to detonate a nuclear warhead on the West Coast of the United States itself.

Yeah, so I don't think we'll be invading them anytime soon.

9. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The whole point of American foreign policy is to stop the opposition before that opposition gets big enough to seriously threaten the U.S. If the North Koreans really have a missile, right now, that is capable of hitting the West, they've failed. All the more reason to stop Saddam before HE gets weapons capable of hitting the US.

Chinca has a horrible human rights record, probably worse than Iraq's. But all we see from the U.S. is diplomacy with those fellows behind the Bamboo curtain, for some pretty obvious reasons (Last I heard, the Chinese have the world's largest air force). The U.S. has no similar compelling reason to be diplomatic with Saddam, though. I agree with them -- deal with the devil you can!

10. Charlie Gems: 14/31

So, are we in agreement that the U.S. wants to invade Iraq not only because Saddam is an evil man but because he is an evil man AND he can't really retaliate?

Perhaps that is why certain people don't like Bush. They sense something amiss in his rhetoric. He takes the moral high ground with Iraq but faced with a more powerful force he probably would take a different tack.

11. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    the chinese have the worlds largest millitary period.
    but then, it really doesnt matter how large your millitary is, throwing numbers of troops at a problem doesnt always work (america's tactic - they plan to use 220000 troops in iraq, dwarfing iraq's millitary), weve seen it in the past, vietnam, the viet cong were really no match for the US millitary, but they fought and won, japan in ww2 were comparably smaller then the US, they give a bloody fight.

what im trying to say is, never underestimate the underdog.

i noticed someone mentioned about removing opposition before they could offer opposition, i feel that is wrong because it certainly isnt the moral high ground. you cant go around the streets and arrest a seedy looking person just because they may become a criminal, people and indeed countries are innocent of an action until it has been carried out, thie policy of preemption is only going to make things worse, because countries will try to preempt the preemption.

12. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Saddam is innocent? :confused:

13. Shoshino

Media:
    he is innocent of until proven guilty, it has not been proved that saddam has weapons of mass destruction, there is however proof that he doesnt.

14. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Show it to me.

Saddam is guilty of using biological agents on his own people. He is guilty of attacking other countries with no provocation. He is guilty of not living up to his agreements after the Gulf War -- halting the inspection process. I could go on... anyone else want to fill in details? How can anyone say Saddam Hussein is innocent?

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think that what Shoshino might mean is that Saddam is innocent right now of the act of having WMD's. That is he claims to have destroyed them all, the inspectors after the war couldnt find any and the current inspectors have yet to find any. He may be hiding and evading but up until they do find a big juicy batch of ready to go superbacterias he is 'innocent'. If that term is applicable to such a horror of a human being.

16. Shoshino

Media:
    thank you, someone sees where im going

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.