1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Wacko Jacko Moonwalks Out

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by dmc, Jun 13, 2005.

1. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Not much else to say. Not guilty on all counts. Pays to be a celebrity if you're going to commit a crime.

2. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

I'm not very surprised. I was not all that convinced that he was guilty but then again I have not followed the case too closely since I don't care that much.

3. The Magpie

The Magpie Balance, in all things Veteran

And I thought he was a shoe-in for getting convicted of giving alcohol to a minor. :shake:

Still, can anyone really say the Arvizo's were the most reliable of witnesses? :hmm: I'd think not. And the attempt to wheel out supposed former abusees was boneheaded; a trial is for the relevant charges only, and no jury will convict on hearsay and rumour from the past that never even got to court, nor should they.

And it's hardly the case that he's walking away from this untainted - some serious questions still remain, but will there ever be enough evidence to answer them?

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I figure the little weirdo is guilty of something sick, perverted and/or illegal, but the stunning lack of credibility on the part of many of his accusers generated reasonable doubt. I'd say Jacko is suffering right now despite the verdict, though -- he has to look at himself in the mirror.

<sidenote> Please note that I said he's "suffering", not "suffering enough". For being a sick little pervert, he deserves death, but our western legal systems aren't structured that way.

5. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    I thought it was a good call. The credibilty of the family's accuser was zero. As a bonus I get to see all the holier-than-thou talking heads on Fox cry about "celebrity justice," or the lack of it. But, no doubt, MJ is a strange little man...

6. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

*tries to imagine what Jacko will look like when he's 74*

7. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I wonder what took the jury 32 hours on this. The only thing that I can think of is that there might have been a few people on the jury who wanted to see a celebrity suffering. But other than that...

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I'm not all that surprised too. To me, a very very casual observer, the family of the kid looked as if they wanted to cash in in Jacko's weirdo-ness, and his record of molestation allegations, after all he hasn't been sentenced. They only overlooked that being not as whacked out as Jacko doesn't automatically makes you credible too.

Actually, I'm convinced that the next case is just some three years away, not because I consider Jacko a paedophile, but because he's crazy enough to still invite kids to his weird estate - and there is another Arvizo-like family desperate, stupid or greedy enough to give accusing him for temporary fame and money a try - if Jacko isn't bankrupt by then.

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I never had a doubt that they would find him not-guilty. Of course that is different from innocent.

10. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Like DMC said, it pays to be a celebraty. How many have gotten away with something in the past years?
    I personally think its a crock and I am actually ashamed of our country right now. And not jsut for the trial. Did you see all the people outside the courtroom? and how they cheered with every count being read? Whether the allegations were true or not, how about some sensitivity for the victims? There was one wackjob releasing doves everytime the words "not guilty" were read. Come on people? I'm curious what other people in other countries thought of us when they watched this. Of course, their opinions were probably formed from some of our other latest fiascos.
    All this trial says to me is the following:
    1-Its ok for a 40 year old man to let children who aren't his to sleep in the same bed.
    2-We shouldn't believe children. "Mom, the scary man touched me." Well, I guess the kid is lying.
    I've heard that there was inconsitencies in the child's testimony from previous statements. Well he was a frickin kid. What did they expect.
    And what about the Jesus juice. How many different witnesses used that phrase. That's not something someone makes up, let alone more than one.
    I think the jury should have been sequestered (sp?) from day one. Leaving the court house everyday, seeing all the people, all the coverage on TV, radio and newspaper. You can't tell me there weren't influenced.
    Hearing how Jackson's in the hospital again, how he's sick, blah blah blah. They felt sorry for him and didn't want to lock him up.
    Did any one see the news conference with the jury afterwards? They were asked about kids sleeping in a bed with a 40 yr old. One woman said, "no one in their right mind would let that happen." Hmmm, why not?
    I forgot the question, but another juror said it wasn't right for her to talk about that. I just remember thinking, yeah, because if she answered the way any sane person would have answered it, it would prob mean she thought Jackson was guilty.
    Like I said, its a shame. Lately I honestly have been losing faith in our legal system here in the US, and not just because of this case, but it hasn't helped.

11. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Like I mentioned in a previous thread, assuming he was guilty, this can happen when you have a jury of your peers, although I doubt anyone would claim to be his peer. Also, they said he was not guilty, not innocent. For them, there was enough reasonable doubt. I don't think Americans should lose faith in their judicial system. This is one publicized case. It probably worked in dozens of other cases. In my country it would take at least three years to resolve. If it were a civil case, the accuser would probably be broke and be unable to continue the case.

Jackson is definitely guilty of other things. He's guilty of hurting himself with all his surgery, guilty of being stupid enough to keep bringing kids to Neverland, guilty of doing outrageous things in public like wearing a surgical mask and hanging his kid over the balcony. The list goes on. I agree with Ragusa. If he doesn't stop all this weird behavior, he's bound to be in court again.

12. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am stunned at the press this case has received over in New Zealand. Half our office stopped work to watch the news. Ridiculous. There are far more important things to worry about than this.

I am fascinated at how so many people think he "must" be guilty when actually you probably have very little idea of what really happened.

If you don't like the jury system, go move to some other country where the justice system moves more swiftly and with less deliberation and see how you like it.

13. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Well if it was Bali, he'd be dead. Meh, all justice systems worldwide are decidedly average.

14. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Elios (or anybody): What the hell is "Jesus Juice"? If I'd actually followed this absurd trial, I'd probably know, but I didn't, and Google had nothing useful. The phrase makes it sound as though MJ, or somebody, squeezed Our Lord into a refreshing drink. I can hardly believe it's that, but what is it?

15. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Is Jacko a pervert? Likely.

But he got off because it seemed that the accusers wanted to cash in rather than see justice done, and that's reasonable doubt. The best Lawyers out there do everything in their power to create that douubt in the minds of the jury, and under such circumstances, they must acquit...

16. Darkthrone Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

And this speaks more against Jackson than it speaks against the world you live in? It's a good thing you all are such compliant everymen, right?!

What part of "not guilty" is so hard to accept for you?

17. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Jesus Juice was supposedly how MJ refered to Wine when giving it to the children.

I've got to follow HB on this. How many people here who think he is guilty have actually followed the trial and the evidence?
    I haven't been the slightest bit interested, I have to admit, but I thought the law was innocent until proven guilty? As he hasn't been proven guilty is he therefore not innocent?
    People have mentioned "celebrity justice" but the image that the media constantly portray him as, was more likely to have counted against him.

18. Charlie Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I'm afraid I don't get your point. What I meant was that if Jackson didn't stop his weird behavior, he will continue to be a target for these things, guilty or not. Also, I never said I thought he was guilty.

19. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I really don't think this is a special brand of justice for celebrities. At least, not in this particular instance.

Lack of prime witness credibility + judges' instruction to apply proof beyond a reasonable doubt just before deliberations usually = an acquittal.

Not just celebrities, plenty of obscure trials as well.

20. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I just hope that freak gets out of my daily newspaper soon, so I don't have to be subjected to its (I won't honor it with a pronoun that denotes either gender or humanity) ugly face. I haven't followed the trial beyond what I couldn't avoid, and the only thing I possibly care less about is the Runaway Bride. :rolleyes: Michael Jackson's guilt or innocence has no impact whatsoever on my life, and I like it that way.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.